Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: What is the plan when you are very old and fragile?  (Read 1737 times)

mrmister1964

• View Profile
What is the plan when you are very old and fragile?
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »
A question I have asked on several Forums around, is about what to do when we are very old in this country.
Each and every time, this question has not been answered, or even comments made.

I don't think I have ever seen any old and fragile foreigners been rolled in (in a wheelchair) by their friends or relatives to any of the immigrations offices around the Kingdom.

Are there any very old foreigners here at all?
What do they do in regards to renewal of their Visas, etc?

Seems like nobody wants to discuss this, or most have a plan to return to their old country by the time they are that old.

Any thoughts on this?

Honestly, this worries me.

God is the imaginary friend for adults.

Shipm8te

• View Profile
Re: What is the plan when you are very old and fragile?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »
I have seen several aged persons at immigration and more that a few at the U S. Embassy road trips, who were wheel chair bound.  As with them, should I get in the position when I can no longer care for myself I must rely on my wife and her family to tend to my needs.  I have prepared written detailed instructions on every thing (that I can think of) and the steps for them to take for keeping my status current at immigration, for filing insurance claims (medical and death), banking matters, reporting my death to the Embassy when the time comes and obtaining a death certificate, etc.

When that time comes it all boils down to trust.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
Thnx Shipm8te, for the reply.

A good idea to write down instructions, and I will follow it.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
We all really need more of a descriptor of when is 'one very old & fragile'.

Is it when you can't take a shower by yourself, need a chair and someone to bathe you?
Is it when you have to wear a diaper since it takes you took long to get to the john?
Is it when your bed has to be on the first floor of a multi-story house/home?
Is it when you can no longer brush your own teeth or clean your dentures?
Is it when you can no longer eat regular meats and vegetables and you need them to be pureed?
  Or maybe, when you can no longer feed yourself?
Is it when you can no longer read a regular computer screen and have to put the image on a 60-inch TV monitor?

Or is it all of the above?  555

Of course, I have made instructions for my wife if something happens to me, but there is not a requirement of being old and fragile.  It is something that can happen at any time going forward.

DNPBC0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Good list, fceligoj.  For those still wearing shoes with laces, we could add the criterion suggested by a former American comedian, George Burns,
"You know you're getting old when you stop to tie your shoes and wonder what else you can do while you're down there."  Of course, if you are old enough to have seen or heard George Burns perform, that alone puts you into the high risk category.  For me, the threshold is when I can no longer always remember to ask my wife how long is "not long".

Peter

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
Great addition to the list, Peter!
Now that you suggested that, what about . . . .

Is it when you no longer can slip on your flip flops (Thai sandals) without someone assisting you?

or

When you are thankful that you have a spray at the toilet since it is too difficult to reach around with toilet paper to 'wipe' yourself!  (maybe you cannot spray yourself either and need assistance!!)

There are so many!

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
We all really need more of a descriptor of when is 'one very old & fragile'.

Is it when you can't take a shower by yourself, need a chair and someone to bathe you?
Is it when you have to wear a diaper since it takes you took long to get to the john?
Is it when your bed has to be on the first floor of a multi-story house/home?
Is it when you can no longer brush your own teeth or clean your dentures?
Is it when you can no longer eat regular meats and vegetables and you need them to be pureed?
  Or maybe, when you can no longer feed yourself?
Is it when you can no longer read a regular computer screen and have to put the image on a 60-inch TV monitor?

Or is it all of the above?  555

Of course, I have made instructions for my wife if something happens to me, but there is not a requirement of being old and fragile.  It is something that can happen at any time going forward.
Seems to me you already knew what I meant.
You put stamp....good for you.
You forgot all the LOL's

Start to get this feeling this site is just another old Khon Kaen Forum in a new format.

Oh well...

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 02:10:06 PM »

Plans are all set as I'm already old and fragile.

We gave the house in the US to our daughter. That was the only thing we had there. Everything here is in the wife's name, so I really don't own anything in this world. I actually find that very liberating.

Both our US Social Security is deposited into our joint US bank account and I've set it up so there are automatic transfers to the wife's Bangkok Bank account here. If I die first, she won't have to do anything. The money will just keep coming till she dies.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
my pension will pass to my wife, already have a house in the village, so when i get old, 40 or so years from now, i will just do what villagers do.  Die in the house, get burned and that will be that.  I am a low maintenance kind of guy.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
That will be that????  What about all the rejoicing and merry making following the BIG barbeque?  roll

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
I always figured when I get around 75 yrs old (11 more years) I will probably just stop going to immigration. I guess I will not be travelling as much and if they do catch me. Do you really think they will put me in prison?. Maybe even deport me? A gamble I am willing to make.  I just don't want to be bothered going to do stupid 90 day and annual extensions.
 I am not saying this is for everybody.
 Hell, I don't even smoke. But when I turn 75, I might take it up. What are the chances I will get lung cancer before I die?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »
I will continue to do my immigration duty until I keel over during one of my annual extensions. And without supporting your position one way or the other, it is a fascinating question. Are there many really old guys here on overstay?  Do they get caught?  Are the jailed, fined, deported or what?  Dunno, but I kind of have a feeling you would not be shown too much mercy on account of age. 

Anyone have any stories or experiences about this?

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
Rex,
You are taking me way too seriously.  I probably won't even make it to 75.   55555555

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
KP. when you are 75, you will want to go out and do something useful!  EVEN IF IT MEANS YOU WILL HAVE YOUR WIFE PUSH YOU IN A WHEELCHAIR, JUST LIKE MANY WHO GO TO THE UDORN OUTREACH!  BETTER THAN JUST SITTING IN A ROCKER WHILING THE TIME AWAY!

I am going to be 74 in January and I look forward to going there and seeing what there is to see!  I will also play golf until I can no long swing a club.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 04:50:34 PM »
Kowpot, I thought your question was interesting even if your were speaking with tongue in cheek

Frank: "Udorn Outreach"  What dat???