Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Bars In Khon Kaen  (Read 5711 times)

Tonytj

• View Profile
Re: Bars In Khon Kaen
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
Exactly my point, Dingle.  The young dot com generation prefers chic high tech clean line architecture as opposed to to the old style that you are familiar with. 

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
I don't like ice in my beer.

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »
"QUESTION :  Is one of the reasons  that falang bars don't seem to be flourishing as they once did due to the fact that they are simply not necessary as "institutions" they way they once were?"
My opinion: The demographics have changed. In the past, you would get aging babyboomers from the Woodstock 1970's mentality hanging out. Now those guys are senior citizens and have been replaced by the new generation, the Millenium and Gen X age groups who are the sons and grandsons of the Woodstock era. The young 30 yr old's prefer the clean high tech styles and do not like their grandfather's styles of bars and could care less about Hotel California. Out with the old style and in with the new style.

The start of the "bar girl" era was the start of the demise of the KK bar scene.
Still loads of the older generation about, most of whom like a drink, but as most have partners, there is no real need to go to bars where servers tout for business. Most have been there, done that, and moved on.
There is a normal bar round the lake where lots of expats meet up, which is very popular, and you can have an actual conversation there without getting hassled.
I would say the ratio of 'older generation' to your 'new generation 30 year olds' is well more than 10:1

dingle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Where is this "normal bar" around the lake? Which lake?, name is?

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »
Where is this "normal bar" around the lake? Which lake?, name is?

Sunset Bar, Beung Kaen Nakhorn.
Far better atmosphere than any bar in town, cheaper also.

Tonytj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
What's the average age of the customers of Sunset Bar?

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
What's the average age of the customers of Sunset Bar?

I don't know the actual average, no one has ever done a survey.
It is frequented by Khon Kaen long term expats, who all used to drink in town before it's demise.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 07:49:57 AM »
Sunset bar is a very nice place to have a drink.  I used to go there on Friday nights which is the biggest night there for the week.  They are closed Saturday nights, guess no business.  Ages range from early twenties to well in the 70s.  Its a cheap no nonsense pub with a decent host.  I always enjoyed my conversations with the owner.  Sometimes his wife would cook up some indian as well to sell.   I don't think you could go wrong with a friday night there.