Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Extension renewal  (Read 1368 times)

Henry

• View Profile
Extension renewal
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »

Just did my annual retirement extension. 15 minutes, in and out!  Walked in the door and the very nice lady at desk #3 waved me right over.

Usually, a little bid different each year. This time, I paid right there instead of going to a different desk and then back to the original desk. Also, she did the 90 day for me.

I've been going to this office since they opened, and never had a bad experience. Everyone has always been pleasant, creating a welcoming atmosphere. Nothing like the place we used to have to go.

I have one question. I always go prepared, all nessesary documents and a few extras, just in case. In March this year, I went to India and when doing my extension, the lady wanted a copy of my re-entry permit. That's no problem, I went outside and got a copy, but I was just wondering, is this a one time thing, or will I need a copy of that every year from now on?

TerryLH

• View Profile
Re: Extension renewal
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess you won't need it for your next extension.
I'd also guess that they wanted it this time to document why you still had the same extension date after leaving the country.

You could always print a copy and take it with you next time - and don't offer it unless asked for it.  Cheap to copy, not too heavy to carry.  Put it in your "...a few extras, just in case." file.
Or go without and have a copy made outside if asked for it.

Like you I find this office pleasant to deal with. 

Terry

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Although it is hardly a problem to have to make a copy of something at the Imm office, I prefer for everything to go as quickly and smoothly as possible.  I also have a "just in case" section in the little documents folder I bring with me.  I try to avoid offering them any documents that they do not specifically ask for.  Glad things were breezy for you, Henry.  That has consistently been my experience even in Nong Khai which wasn't nearly as warm & fuzzy, but never created a problem for me.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »
I agree with OP this office has never given me any problems as well.
Nice people, good service, and longest I waited was 45 minutes.
God is the imaginary friend for adults.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
I went today for extension of my "retirement visa". Thought I had all the docs required plus a few just in case documents. They asked for a copy of my wife's Thai ID which I don't remember needing previously. Anyway, the whole process went quick. I got there between 2:30 and 3 in the afternoon and the place was basically empty.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
Thanks Savannah!  Posts like this are really important. Now married guys are informed that they may they may need Wifey's Thai ID and can prepare.  Of course, as you discovered, no matter how well-prepared you are, Imm can always throw you a curve that will cost you some time and running around.  But at least we can try to stay ahead of the process.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
I did my retirement extension today, Thursday 30th August.  We arrived at 10.15am and the place was empty bar us and we were seen to immediately, I didn't even need to take a number. The extension went without a hitch, but I was surprised she used a conversion rate of baht to the pound of just 41.  After that she spent ages filling in what looked like a complete database entry about me, obviously name, passport number, landing card number, date I last entered the Kingdom, address, phone number, my wife's phone number and  virtually everything that's in my passport plus a photo.  There was also a new form to sign, all in Thai. Then to my surprise she also asked for a copy of my wife's ID card and  then printed out a TM30 form and stapled that into my passport along with the  new 90 day slip and the landing card.
So it looks like the TM30 regulations are being enforced here now.  How strictly I don't know, ie do you re-report when you've been out of the country or even out of the changwat?
A good experience today so 'er indoors is stuck with me for another year.

Surfer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »
I did my retirement extension today, Thursday 30th August.  We arrived at 10.15am and the place was empty bar us and we were seen to immediately, I didn't even need to take a number. The extension went without a hitch, but I was surprised she used a conversion rate of baht to the pound of just 41.  After that she spent ages filling in what looked like a complete database entry about me, obviously name, passport number, landing card number, date I last entered the Kingdom, address, phone number, my wife's phone number and  virtually everything that's in my passport plus a photo.  There was also a new form to sign, all in Thai. Then to my surprise she also asked for a copy of my wife's ID card and  then printed out a TM30 form and stapled that into my passport along with the  new 90 day slip and the landing card.
So it looks like the TM30 regulations are being enforced here now.  How strictly I don't know, ie do you re-report when you've been out of the country or even out of the changwat?
A good experience today so 'er indoors is stuck with me for another year.

Hi LungBing

When I moved to Khon Kaen recently I made a point of filing my TM30 the day after we arrived. (I had been fined in Pattaya for not filing one).

I asked about the "local" requirement for filing them as I knew I would be going back to Pattaya for a few days, and they told me that I only need to file again if I leave Thailand and return. They were not interested in trips within the Kingdom.

Hope this helps to clarify, but of course, if KK is anything like Jomtiem it can change every week.......

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »
I was told that if I went to Laos for the day and returned over the border same day. They didn't really care and that I didn't need to do a new TM30.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
You file a 90 Day Report 90 days after your last one, or 90 days after your most recent entry into Thailand.  Which port you enter from or how long you were out of the country is not relevant.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
Wrong form number Rex.  TM30 is the form confirming your address which up to very recently has not been enforced in Khon Kaen.  The 90 day form is TM47.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »

Just did my Retirement Extension.  Imm Officer at Booth #1 did the effort.

He spent quite a bit of time on his computer screen and then produced two forms, one I had to fill out (same information as Form TM 7, and the other was a pre-printed form with my name already on it.  It dealt with overstay, illegal entry, etc.  You sign the form confirming that the Imm Officer explain to you the issues and what will happen to you if you break any of the immigration laws.

Even though I prepared a Form TM 7, Application for Extension, as usual, he also entered all the data into his computer for TM Form 7, printed it, and had me sign that one too.  So in essence, I generated one and he generated one.  His included a picture produced by his desk camera but as part of the form.

He then asked all kinds of questions, if I were married and really married with a license, did I have a copy of my wife's National ID.  Asked him for what, he said he needed my wife's name for the database.  He finally found it in my records so I did not have to leave and get her ID or our marriage certificate.

The last thing that was necessary, I had to go to the copy machine and make a copy of the receipt he gave me for the 1,900 baht, for his hard copy records.

Of course, he still had to enter into the retirement ledger all the particulars.

Then we went to work on my Multiple Re-Entry Permit.  Even though on the form I entered when I planned on traveling, he asked the question.  Of course, you have to go the copier and get a copy of the new passport pages that were just produced for insertion into the Re-Entry package.  AND a copy of the receipt he provided with the copy going back to him for the package.

I think they need us all to provide the copying service there some funds so they can justify having it.

All in all, I was 5th in line then with two no shows, which was good for me, I was 3rd.  Almost took an hour to get both accomplished, Retirement Extension and a Re-Entry Permit.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
Wrong form number Rex.  TM30 is the form confirming your address which up to very recently has not been enforced in Khon Kaen.  The 90 day form is TM47.

My bad!  Thanks for correcting that LungBing!  I think the reason I made the mistake is that it still confuses me that some  falang seem intent on training Imm to regard us falang as responsible for the TM30 when it is the owner of the place we reside who is responsible.  Even if we are married to the owner of the place we reside, it is still the owners responsibility. Although understandably we might want to manage that from behind the scenes, in my opinion, it does no one any good to directly participate in the process and insert ourselves in between wifey and Imm. Why would we want to take on another obligation, particularly for something as insane as the TM30?

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
"...in my opinion, it does no one any good to directly participate in the process and insert ourselves in between wifey and Imm."

Obviously not married.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »
If I were married, I would avoid getting involved the the TM30 transaction except "behind the scenes" as needed. I would not talk to Imm or the police about it,  and would not allow them to try to impose it as my responsibility.  I would of course provide all the support and assistance wifey needed, whatever that might be, but finally wifey would do the deed of handing the form to cops or Imm, not me.