Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Renewing 5 years driving license , needed dokuments  (Read 1929 times)

Phonta

• View Profile
Renewing 5 years driving license , needed dokuments
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »
Hi ,,
Been living for three years in Nong Song Hong , now i am in Sweden for some month , will be back shortly in januari , My driving license(5 years ) expired july 9 , as i know i can renew it in one year after expired .. But, is it any person here who can tell me what kind of Visa i need , As i can understand it is one Non O Immigrant Visa , some people say i need 1 year OA , i cant find anything telling that should be true ..
Anyone know ?? Please let me know  , i will have one NON O spouse 1 Year when i arrive in Januari .

Regards from Phonta

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Renewing 5 years driving license , needed dokuments
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
Here is a decen website from the Pattaya Expats Club.

I have never heard of the rule that allows you to renew even if your license had expired for any period of time, especially 1 year.  You definitely need a visa not a tourist stamp and proof of an address in Thailand.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:33:22 AM »

I have never heard of the rule that allows you to renew even if your license had expired for any period of time, especially 1 year.  You definitely need a visa not a tourist stamp and proof of an address in Thailand.

This is true, I think. When my wife returned to Thailand her license had expired (albeit for probably more than a year). She had to do the whole initial license thing. But I do think there might be some discretion at the license office as to what they need for renewal or even initiation.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
Needed to renew my driver's license,  expires in a couple of days.

As usual, went to a clinic to get the medical certificate saying that I don't have any issues with the five items about which they ask.  Paid my 40 baht.

We drove over to the Land & Transport Office, Bldg 2.

Went inside all prepared with my Passport, my Yellow Book, my Pink Card, my expirong DL, and the health certificate.

Now, this is the current sitUation, YOU CANNOT JUST WALK IN AND APPLY.

You HAVE to sit through their meeting, which I guess is to show you the graphic nature of serious accidents with maiming and killing drivers and passengers, etc.

So they have these meeting 3 times a day, 5 days a week.  They are at 9AM, 10AM, and 1PM.  Was suggested you needed to get there about 1 hour before the sessions starts.  If you do not make, you will be scheduled for the next meeting on that date.  If you miss the 1 o'clock one, come back tomorrow.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE MEDICAL CERTIFICATE ANYMORE.

What you need as documents are your old DL, your passport, your Yellow Book (if you don't have one it probably is the same as immigration, copy of your lease and a copy of your landlord's National ID, both signed.)

Oh yes, and 500 baht.

The administrator said your old DL actually doesn't expire for 1 year when you are renewing your license (don't know how true that is with police if they stop you.)

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
I initially needed a certificate of residence from immigration tm18 not a lease or anything from my landlord. The lease I showed to immigration to get the tm18 signed.
 Is this not the case anymore?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
In the two times I have gone in for my license, I have never needed a tm18.  Since we now have to sit through the video refresher (and I did not get there in time to sit through it), the clerk said my Yellow Book was good for the residency proof requirement.  Also, there is no need for the medical certificate.

I will find out Tuesday when I go in again to sit through the video.  (Did not want to disrupt my golf days, Friday and Monday).  Will do the 1PM session since my wife will go with me to make sure of the document process then she will go and do a change of address on our one car while I sit through the video!

Pope Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Just wondering--
When you renew your license, do you have to the reaction time test and vision test ? 

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
The only test that I have taken was the colorblindness test and that was for my first license.

Pope Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
Thank you for your information.   I'll have to renew my license in May and will update if their are any changes to their requirements.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
Well, I just got my renewed Thai Driver's License.  Here is the step-by-step process.

They have 3 sessions during the day M-F, one at 9AM, one at 10AM, and one at 1PM.  They suggested you get there early for the session you want to attend like about 1 hour!  So I decided to go a little after 9AM so I would be ready for the 10AM session.

1. Went to the Land and Transport complex downtown, not out north on Mittraphap Road, Building #2[/size][size=78%].[/size]

2. Entered the 1st floor and went to the receptionist with my Passport, my Yellow Book (or whatever document you use to prove your residency address) and a copy of each.  She essentially checks you in and makes sure you have the complete data package.  She will send you upstairs for the physical testing.  There is no need for a medical exam anymore.

(Since I got there about 9:15, I sat through some session immediately as the test implementer was discussing in Thai what each test was going to do  (Another session was already in the video room watching the traffic video.)  She then put everyone in a line by the color of their application, motor vehicle and motorcycle to complete the testing.  When she got to me, said I needed to watch the video first so she shuffled me into the room where the video had been going for about 15 minutes.  It was all in Thai so I know why she did not care if I missed some or not.  When that session was completed, she had everyone come out of the room and sit so she could complete the testing.  So to get 'rid of me', she had me be about the 3rd one to take the testing.

3.  Had to do the peripheral vision test, the color blindness test, the reaction test and the depth perception test.  Once completed satisfactorily, sent downstairs to get in the Que to get my license. I went back to the receptionist I met first and she had me sign documents and then put a number on the packet for taking the foto for the license.

4. While waiting to take the foto, called to pay the license fee, 500 baht + 50 baht + 5 baht or 555.00 baht total.

5.  Picture taken, then waited for the plastic card to be produced.

All-in-all, it took about 1hr and 20 minutes.  I guess no more short cuts anymore until they decide to change it again.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
I have to get my new license before Nov. The last times I did the 5 year one, I got 6 years. My Work Permit accepted as proof of address. I guess now my Pink Alien Card will be enough. Not much use for anything else though.
Oh, if you are stopped by the police they give you 7 days to get it.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
Effective 1 March, looks like we are back to having to get a medical certificate to renew our license.  This link was provided on the ThaiVisa Newsletter.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/applicant-driving-licence-must-show-medical-certificate/

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
If you watch the video presented last week by the British Embassy for foreigners. It shows it to be less difficult than described here. It basically shows that if you are just renewing  your license, it is a breeze.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
There is a lot of debate in regards to the new medical certificate as to whether it is required for renewal of license or if it is only for new applications. There does not seem to be anywhere that gives all the information. There was also talk that the new medical certificate could only be obtained from a hospital and not at a clinic like it used to be.

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Renewing 5 years driving license , needed documents
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
I also saw that comment made on the ThaiVisa Newsletter about having to go to a hospital to get a medical certificate.  I also heard, it is a new 2-part form and the Land Transport Dept WILL NOT honor the old form.

So maybe someone will soon have to go and renew their license and maybe he'll share the results of Certificate or No Certificate, hospital only provided certificate, etc.

It's funny, we also have heard that you should let your license expire even for just one day (guess it would give you an extra year on your new license expiration date.)  Then from someone in the know (not from Khon Kaen), said if you do that (from experience), you have to take the full driving test, the written test, and watch the video!  Then yo go to the Transport Office in Khon Kaen and they say even if your license has expired for a year, you can still easily get a renewal.  So who is right?

Maybe someone has already experienced the expired license problem and how it was solved.  Hopefully, they will share.

BUT, the Land Transport Dept has issued new rulings beginning 1 March 2018.  AND like Russell said, where can we read about them?