Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Renewal of Retirement extension / 90 day Report  (Read 4087 times)

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Renewal of Retirement extension / 90 day Report
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Did my annual extension this morning with no problems. Although I must admit I had my secret weapon with me.......my wife! She is a retired government employee and knows just what to say and how to say it to government officials to get them to see her point of view. I only had 9 months of transfers and just the deposit printout from SCB showing the foreign transfers and my bank book. The whole process....90 day report and extension took about 45 minutes.

As a side note, I asked him about their policy on TM-30's. Specifically, if we were to go to Hua Hin for 3 or 4 days, would we have to file a new TM-30 when we get back. He said if I was returning to the same house that I was already registered in, then no new TM-30 is required. However, if you leave Thailand, then they want a new TM-30 when you return.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
The last paragraph is in direct contradiction to what I was told three days ago, last Friday.  I asked if I went to Korat for 2 nights and came back would they want a TM30 from me.  He said from me no, but from the house owner.

retfed50

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
Amazing! Which I/O told you that? I got my info from the guy that is usually at counter # 1.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »
For all of us that are retired here in Thailand and don't have a work permit, or run a business that requires much travel mostly out of the country, why such an issue with Form TM30?

The last two times that I have gone with my wife who actually is the one who has to submit the Form TM30, the discussion is always confirmation of the need for my wife to submit a Form TM30 every time I, the foreigner, returns to our home from a 24-hour plus trip anywhere.

Think about it, you depart from your residence in Khon Kaen and go somewhere, for example, Udorn for 3 days.  You stay in a hotel who is required to provide the government with a Form TM30 about you.

Then What?  How does Immigration know if you are going somewhere else or back home unless the next stop lets them know with a Form TM30?  You sort of disappear if there is no 'paper' trail.  We, the good guys, say but we will come home.  What about the bad guys?  Many disappear.  So, if there is no 'paper' trail, are we the bad guys too?

retfed50, the last time the guy at Counter #1 did my paperwork, we told him we were going to Chiang Mai for several days.  He told us that my wife had to provide them with a Form TM30 when we returned from Chiang Mai!  So the answer is what he decides, most likely in front of your government employee wife is a response to support her.  Anyway, he is not responsible for Form TM30 or is anyone else in the row of I/O's.  All Form TM30 submitters, including your wife, are required to go to the window outside of the Immigration Office to submit the Form TM30.

For those who rent or lease a residence and take issue with having to cause undo hardship on the absent home owner or the condo management group, there is a power of attorney form specifically providing the renter or lessee the authority to submit the Form TM30.

Whether or not the Thai Government elects to change the law on Form TM30, the biggest issue has to be implementing a consistent process across all Immigration Offices.

retfed50

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
I know the I/O's that handle things inside don't have anything to do with the TM-30s but you would think they would know the policy. Your last paragraph says it all.....the lack of consistency between Immigration offices. Until all offices are on the same page and not allowed to make up their own  rules and policy, then it is going to continue to be one huge ball of confusion.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/special-reports/1732599/confusion-reigns-in-tm30-palaver

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 05:35:36 PM »
I have heard from various reports on ThaiVisa threads:

1. As Frank reports, TM30 must be filed  24 hours after return from anyplace outside of the province.
2. People on retirement extensions do not need to file TM30
3. You only need to file TM30 if you return from a trip outside of Thailand.
4. If you are just staying with friends, no need to file. That, of course is obvious, since how would Imm know you had gone anywhere?

Obviously, the only point of logic is simply to either ignore filing and take your chances, or interpret the regulation in the strictest way and file every time you go anywhere even if you suspect it might not be necessary.

The fact is that complaining about "hardship" is not going to get much traction.  In the first place, Imm job is not to make anyone's life easier. In the second place, the rule affects different people differently.  In some cases, it is a real pain in the butt for anyone who travels a lot and has to make a long drive to a distant Imm office, or in Bangkok where it apparently takes two hours or more to get anything done, even filing a TM30.  For others who live closer to an Imm office or have figured out how to file online, or have a proxy file for them, it is not a big deal.

However, in my thinking, the bigger issue is that this is abhorrent behavior on the part of a supposedly modern, developing nation hoping to take it's place as an equal partner in the global community. A modern "democratic" state does not do surveillance and keeping tabs on people residing  legally within n it's borders without some version of "reasonable cause" and "due process."  I realize that as a practical matter, the impact is relatively minor for most people.  But what's next? There is always a "next," and whatever it is, it won't be designed to make things easier. Oh, yeah, insurance is next.  Think about how you would feel in your home country being visited by foreign friends, legally in your country, and being compelled by force of law to "write them up" and file a form with the government?   It doesn't matter how easy they make it, the principle is the same. From what I have read, Imm officials are responding the the convenience issue and seem oblivious the the civil liberties and human rights concerns.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:40:46 PM by Rex (Admin) »

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
retfed50  it was an officer I have never seen before and he was sitting at the right-hand most desk.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
In addition the same officer gave me my next 90 day report date of mid-November which was 2 months past the expiry date  of my current visa next month.  I have never known that before.  In the past the next reporting date has always been  the expiry date of the visa if less than 90 days away.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
LungBing, the last two times where my 90-day report renewal was past the expiration date of my extension, two different I/O's made a note on the 90 day receipt that my extension expired prior to the date of the 90 day renewal.  I don't think that is any real issue.  If you get stopped by the police and your 1-year extension has expired, they really don't care about the 90 day report.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »
I need to renew my retirement extension by 12 September using the 65K baht/month international transfer deposits.  So, I went to the Bangkok Bank at Central Plaza to begin the process by requesting a 1-year bank statement.  The assistant manager told me that getting a 6-month bank statement was an immediate process, like less than an hour.  But to get a 1-year statement took 5 business days.  So, if I requested that statement today Tuesday, I would get my statement on the following Tuesday.  I told him that typically Thai Immigration wanted a bank commitment on the account to be no more than one day old, so he said that we would make a copy of the last page of my bank book and he would stamp the page as the most current transactions, date, and sign the stamp.  (I asked him about an option of giving a short bank statement for those few days, but he wasn't too excited about giving me a 2nd statement for that short period.) We will see how his approach works with Immigration.

So, now I thought, well next year, I will make sure I go to the bank and get a 6-month statement from them beginning the 1st of September 2019 to the 1st of March 2020, or 6-months.  Then get a 2nd 6-month statement from the 1st of March 2020 to the 1st of September 2020.  It seems that should fly and not require any 5 business day wait.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
Can someone confirm, please. I thought the one-day business was about your balance on the day you apply for your extension. I have also read some places that they want a B100 deposit on the day of the renewal.  I did not think it was about the bank letter to establish 12 monthly deposits of B65K.  No?   

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »
We shall see when I go to Immigration on next Wednesday, and report back.

Rex, when you are there for your 90-Day Report, ask the question.  It'll be very interesting what they say.  The last two times I was there for the 90-Day Report, I got innocuous answers to my question on the deposits, never a firm and specific answer.  AND usually the answer, if any, is different on the I/O to whom you speak.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Frank, when you are at Imm on Wednesday just have a look at the faces of the staff, I was there about 2 weeks ago and I did not recognize any of the staff there. I was served at desk 4 and it was not the usual girl also the girl that is normally at desk 2 was not there and I did not know the girl at desk 3.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
Russell, I was there on the 31st of July for my 90-Day Report at 0830.  The same I/O's were at Desk #1, #2, and possibly #3.  #2 waited on me.  #1 had sauntered in a few minutes after I arrived.  #3 was busy putting on her makeup.  And Desk #4 was unoccupied.

By the way, I always say "Good Morning" to the guy at Desk #1.  When I get him to do something for me, it is as easy as cutting a piece of pie.

To me, #2 is a piece of work.  I am sure that she thinks she is the cat's meow!  She is the one that gave me innocuous answers when I asked her what I needed from the bank in the way of a document.  Of course, her constant response is always towards have 800K baht in an account.  When I tell her I will be doing the 65K baht/month type of application, that almost sounds foreign to her!

On Rex's comment about having a minimum deposit of 100 baht deposited into the account on the day before or same day as the request of extension is submitted, so that one's copy of their bank book shows that, I am going to do it whether I need it or not.  Better to be safe than sorry and then having to run around to fix the apparent issue.