Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: The Computer Doctor is In!  (Read 3347 times)

Pope Willie

• View Profile
Re: The Computer Doctor is In!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
Rex,   

Thanks much for your information.   

Couple of days ago, I decided to post the things I needed done on Freelancer.com.  Lo and behold, I got 28 bids on the required work in about 6 minutes.  What a website !  These developers bid on the work and it's very, very competitive.

Anyway, long story short...looks like a good ending to this story.

Again, thanks.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
Yeah, Freelancer is cool.  That is where I originally found Luciano.  Now we deal directly with each other and skip the middleman (person?). One thing to be careful of, particular with Indians, is that the person responding to to your notice can be a broker or something and you don't' have direct contact with the person doing the work who might not speaka da Engarishe.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Mr. Somchai to the rescue again!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Fri 2 Mar 2018, 11:50 am

Nice to see Mr. Somchai again, although I wish it had been under happier circumstances.  Windows 10 on Ae's computer failed and would not load. After wasting a couple of hours tinkering with it myself, called Mr. Somchai who arrived in a few hours (on a national holiday no less!). Unfortunately, the problem proved elusive, so after a couple of hours, he took pc away.  Returned first thing this morning.  Everything fine!  B500.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Computer Doctor to the Rescue...Again!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
My hard drive developed bad sectors causing the entire system to crawl at a snail's pace. Last month, we did a disk repair which isolated the bad sectors which bought us some time. But it was inevitable to happen again. Called Mr. Somchai on Monday evening. He arrived today, Tuesday morning at 8:30 am. We discussed various options for replacing the hard drive. Decided on a very fast SSD drive to keep programs which would make them load much faster, faster startup and shutdown of pc. Plus a and a regular hard for data. Very cool arrangment.

Mr. Somchai took my pc away. Cloned my HD. Installed my new drives and transferred all data and programs. Cleaned nasty cat hairs out of pc case. Returned with pc at 6:30 pm. Five minutes later, I was back in business! My setup was exactly as it had been, I didn't have to rebuild anything or change any settings, just get back to work where I had left off. Everything much faster and more robust. Very happy

SSD 480 GB B3,000. Regular hard drive 1 TB = B4,300. Service = B700 = B5,000 done and dusted!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:13:08 PM by Rex (Admin) »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »
Do you need a bigger single SSD than 480GB to do everything?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 09:49:41 PM »
The SSD is just my C Drive and just for programs.  I am using about 250 GB now, so 480 gives me some breathing room.  The regular hard drive is just for data and 1 TB covers it, but not by much. Most people are not as much of a pack rat as I am, and don't have a bazillion programs loaded, so can get by on a lot less.  It is an indulgence I permit myself.  However, all things considered, B4,300 is very little for all that space.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 06:13:21 AM »
That's a huge amount of data!

mrpunch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »
฿4,300 is very, very expensive for a 1 TB drive.  Are you sure it's not a bigger capacity?  Unless you have something really specialized you've overpaid massively.

Right now a WD Blue 1 TB is 1,100 TB and a WD Black is 2,550 at JIB online.  Either of those is more than adequate for most consumer needs.
Is my identity my own?
Why does anybody feel the need to f**k with it??

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »
B3,000 = 480 GB SSD  (for programs)
B1,300 =  1 TB regular hard drive  (for data)

B4,300 = TOTAL PARTS
B   700 = SERVICE

B5,000 = TOTAL PARTS AND SERVICE

This is way more capacity than the average person wants or needs. But I don't drink, use drugs, or play golf, so I guess it is OK to indulge myself and splurge B5,000.

mrpunch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »

SSD 480 GB B3,000. Regular hard drive 1 TB = B4,300. Service = B700 = B5,000 done and dusted!

I guess I missed the fact that you were doing a running total here but it was still easy to misinterpret..... 

But, it's all good and working at the right price and that's what's important.
Is my identity my own?
Why does anybody feel the need to f**k with it??

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
Another sucky morning last week when my pc would not boot.  Called Mr. Songchai and we arrived an hour later. Unfortunately, the diagnosis was failing motherboard. Worst possible timing! I was shocked when Mr. Songchai crawled into the case to look for the warranty date: I bought the damn thing twelve years ago!  Seems like yesterday I was at Tuckom picking it out and deciding on specs.

Anyway, pc was gone for one day and returned with new CPU, motherboard and 8 RAM. My hard drives were fine as we had just replaced them in May.

System Type   x64-based PC
Processor   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3700 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Around B15K for everything. Best part was that the work did not require a new installation of Windows 10, so all my programs and data remained as they had been and I was able to continue where I left off as soon as I booted the computer.