Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Wire transfer through the Bangkok Bank New York City Branch.  (Read 4130 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
Wire transfer through the Bangkok Bank New York City Branch.
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
Has anyone done this? What do I have to tell my US bank (in my case USAA Fed Savings Bank)? Do I need to contact Bangkok Bank at all? USAA seems clueless (to date) after I contacted them. I am still trying to get them to understand what I am doing, so perhaps they'll get a clue tonight after my latest message.
Do I simply Initiate a "domestic" [US] wire transfer from my bank to me as "recipient" (reminds me of that line from "The Freshman") with my Bangkok Bank in Thailand account number and [of course] using the Bangkok Bank NY US routing # 026008691?
How long does the whole process take before you see the money in Thailand account?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:37:22 PM by avvocato »

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Wire transfer through the Bangkok Bank New York City Branch.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
I do it all the time from my PNC Bank online.  I just go to the "Transfer" icon on the PNC website once I login.  Then I click on the "External Transfers" icon.  I set up the receiving bank just like it was a domestic transfer (which it is), using the Bangkok Bank Routing Number, 026008691 and my Bangkok Bank Saving Account Number.  Put in the amount to transfer and the date or let the transfer mechanism establish the earliest one.  Usually takes 4 days for the money to arrive (3 days plus 1.)  I have text messaging set up in Bangkok Bank whenever a transfer happens so I know immediately when it is in the account.  I also get emails from PNC as the process is happening with one at the conclusion of the transfer.

Cost $0.00 for PNC but Bangkok Bank charges $5.00 for the US Branch plus about 200 baht for the money exchange for under $2,000 once in Thailand.  For $2,001 to $10,000 the cost is $10.00 for the US Branch and whatever the %-age the BBL uses or about 225 to 500 baht.

I never had to speak to PNC or Bangkok Bank since Bangkok Bank has a bank routing number.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks, but I am finding out it's not that easy with USAA.
USAA requires a paper (PDF ?) form. I am calling them this evening to try to set up over phone. But you cannot do on the internet until THEY set up the transfer bank and account in their internet page.

Shipm8te

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
I am a prior USAA Savings Bank Customer and previously sent money to Bangkok Bank without any paper being provided to them.  I just went to their web site, logged on to my account.  I then went to their transfer and bill payment section.  Filled in the date to who I wanted to make a payment, ie. Bangkok Bank, New York. Entered their routing number, my account number with Bangkok Bank the amount  and date of the transfer.  Never a problem.  Of course you must be signed up for online banking for this to occur.  This was several years ago, but I just looked at their web site and they still offer transfer and bill payment services for their checking account customers.  Good Luck.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
Mission accomplished. I did it over the phone. Pain in the *** but I'm all set up now.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
Is the Bangkok Bank Routing Number, 026008691 only for the USA or worldwide?
How does your money get from this "universal" routing number to your own personal account?

There was a thread a few months ago where someone posted how to do a direct transfer from a UK Bank to your personal Bangkok Bank account via the Bangkok Bank in London but I can't find that thread now.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
Screamer, that BBL Bank Routing Number is only good in the US since it is the routing number for the New York Branch.  Here is the information from the BBL web site for transferring funds from a UK Bank to the Bangkok Bank UK Branch.

Transfer money from the UK to Thailand
A cost-effective way to transfer money from the UK
Sending money from the UK to Thailand is faster and more cost-effective via the Bangkok Bank London branch using the UK Faster Payments Service or BACS.

•   Transferring into Thailand
Who can use it?
Anyone with a UK bank account can transfer funds into a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand using this service. People who receive a regular payment or pension from the UK government or a private UK organization may find it particularly useful.

Benefits
•   Lower fees than most other international transfer services offered in the UK
•   A quick and convenient way to transfer funds either online or over the counter at any bank in the UK
•   An easy way to receive your pension or salary payments directly into your Thai bank account

What is the difference between the Faster Payments Service and BACS?
Faster Payment will reach our London Branch within two hours. BACS takes three days to reach our London Branch.

How to transfer funds from the UK using your UK bank’s Online Banking or Counter Services
How to receive payments from a UK-based state/private pension provider or company
Fees and conversion options

How to transfer funds from the UK using your UK bank’s Online Banking or Counter Services
If you have an account with a UK bank, you can transfer funds to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via our London Branch using your UK bank’s online services, or instruct your local bank in person to transfer the funds to us (via Faster Payments Service or BACS) for onward transmission. Funds will be credited to the nominated account in Thailand on the next working day after we receive them in London.

Instructions
1.   Log into your UK internet banking service or visit your local UK bank. You need to check with your bank what options are available to transfer funds or make a payment. Choose “Pay a Person” WITHIN THE UK. Do not choose “International Transfer”, otherwise the funds will be sent directly to the account in Thailand by your bank with their charges.

2.   Choose the payment method then quote the following relevant details into the appropriate field on your bank’s internet banking screen or money transfer form.

Required Information   "Clearing" Service Accounts/Details to be filled in   Explanation
Payee Sort Code   60 93 98   Bangkok Bank London branch’s 6 digit "sort code"
Payee Account Number   

92 00 10 00
(For Thai Baht transfers)

OR   •   The funds from your UK bank  in Pound Sterling are converted to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, London, using the London Branch’s exchange rate.  The Thai Baht funds will then be transferred to the nominated account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand.
•   You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction” field (see below).

92 00 20 00
(For Pounds Sterling transfers)   •   Bangkok Bank London receives the funds from your UK bank and transfers them to your account in Thailand in Pound Sterling.
•   The currency is converted from Pound Sterling to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok, using its daily TT buying rate.
•   You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction" field (see below).
For Payee/
Beneficiary   First name and surname of the receiving party   Enter the recipient’s first name and surname as shown in the recipient’s Bangkok Bank passbook. DO NOT put Bangkok Bank.
Special Instruction
(Payment  Reference or
Payment Description)   Ten-digit account number followed by BKKBTHBK   Enter the full 10-digit Bangkok Bank account number, followed by BKKBTHBK (the SWIFT address of Bangkok Bank in Thailand).

(e.g. 1234567890BKKBTHBK)

3.   After you correctly enter the details, funds will be transferred into the recipient’s Bangkok Bank account in Thailand the next working day after the funds are received by Bangkok Bank in London.

Please note that the final amount credited to your account will vary according to the conversion option chosen, as the exchange rates used by London Branch and Head Office in Thailand can differ.

For more information, please call Bangkok Bank London's Customer Service Department on (44-207) 929-4422, email london_operations@bangkokbank.com, or write to Bangkok Bank PCL London Branch, Exchequer Court, 33 St. Mary Axe, London EC3A 8BY.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
The US bank transfers the funds to my Bangkok Bank personal account number through the Bangkok Bank US branch. Banks don't just transfer to another bank. They transfer to a specific name and account number.
My USAA bank limits this ACH transfer to $5000 per transaction. So you need to check with your bank for any limitations.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:54:21 AM by avvocato »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the above and I have printed off the instructions  smiley32

I think when I went to try a dummy transfer last time this appeared I got as far as the "special instructions" box which hadn't appeared by the time I didn't want to keep going in case it sent money without those instructions.
I will try with a relatively small amount, ignoring the charges for a small amount, in a couple of weeks.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
We use this service all the time, takes 2-4 days to receive, i have never seen a test amount period.  I send it online through my account in the states and thats it, shows up.