Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2452 times)

JoeRuiz

• View Profile
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »
Hello All,

My name is AJ.  I just moved to Khon Kaen.  I am originally from Los Angeles, CA.  Pleasure to meet you all and hope to make new friends. 

Thank you.

AJ

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »
Wed 7 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

Welcome, AJ!  Nice to see you here.  What brought you to our little corner of the universe?

I grew up on L.A., but I think the last time I was there was around 1980!!!  How time flies when you are having a good time!

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »

Welcome AJ

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »
Welcome AJ.  Nice to have another Yankee in the Neighborhood.

JoeRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
Hello.  Thank you.  Probably the same reason as most of us, a Thai woman.  I lived in phuket 2014-15 and after taking a break in 2016 to live in the Philippines and Bolivia, decided to come bck to Thailand. 

I actually haven't lived in LA for a few years and sorry to date you but I was born in '82.  I don't know that would would recognize LA now as it has changed a lot.  Hey, we even have a somewhat functional subway/light rail system now. 

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to meet some of you and maybe have a good ol' American BBQ every now and then.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »
Welcome AJ. I just moved here in September.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
Wow!  You were born after the last time I visited L.A.  I know there has been immense change.  For example, I have never been to Beverly Center (seen it in some movies), but when I was a kid, it was a Smokey Joe's barbeque restaurant (great BBQ port sandwiches), a kiddy pony ride and mini-amusement park.  I lived not far from there in a little  duplex on Westbourne Drive. I think my mom  paid less than $100/mo.  It is still there, and if I recall correctly is valued at $1.5 million today!  I spent some mind-blowing time on Google Earth looking at all the places I lived and hung out. More surprising than the changes is how much is still the same!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 09:10:23 PM »
Welcome AJ.  I am from Ohio, been living in Thailand for 6 years now, all but one in Khon Kaen, a great city.  (Of course, I am one of the retirees.)

If you are planning to be here on a 'permanent' basis you are either filthy rich, or I don't know what. 36 YEARS OLD ! WOW !

If you are a golfer, there is a Khon Kaen Golf expat group, http://www.khonkaengolf.com/.  The only place that shows current movies in English (with Thai subtitles) or in Thai, the theaters are in Central Plaza.  If you enjoy bowling, they closed down the Central Plaza alleys this past year, and you have to go to Udorn.  If you enjoy camping, there are many campsites close by in the 'mountains' within the national parks (plus Phu Foilom).

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »
Welcome.

They also show movies in English at Tesco Lotus.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Really, Terry.  Didn't know that.  The Tesco up north did not have English movies, only Thai conversions, a whole ago so we never went there.

JoeRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I have never known of any amusement park near the Beverly Center.  That whole area is prime real estate and you'll find nothing but very expensive homes, condos and anything expensive in that whole area.  I used to live near there and I can tell you, my rent was just north of $100/month.

Well, I'm a little shy of 36 but I'm getting there quickly.  Yes, the plan is to stay here permanently.  In my previous life in LA, I was a financial advisor/stock broker.  I had my own private practice from about 2009-2013 when I got fed up with life in LA, sold myclients and practice and have been trading my accounts and those of my very close friends and family members.  I'm not filthy rich but I've managed alright since 2013.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:14 PM »
Thu 8 Dec 2016, 7:11 pm

Smokey Joe's was on the southwest corner of Beverly & La Cienega.  The mini-amusement park and pony ride were right next door, just to the right (west).  On the other side of La Cienega was a huge  Rexall Drugs, like a small department store, touted as the largest drug store in the world. Adjacent to that was a little office building which housed the offices of MGM.

Sorry to drag  you down Memory Lane!  :o{

JoeRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »
Sorry buddy but those places were long gone before I was old enough to remember.  There were. Otging but strip malls and condos near Beverly and La Cienega.