Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: 90 Day Report Window Service @ KK Imm  (Read 6497 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: 90 Day Report Window Service @ KK Imm
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
Well, I did have an experience a couple of years ago. My 90 day was due but I didnt have everything ready for my extension. When I was doing the 90 day, the officer said " your extension expires in 2 weeks, why dont you do that today?". I explained I didnt have everything I needed yet. He did the 90 day, but it said, " next report on the 27th, which was in 2 weeks when my extension ran out.

I thought maybe he was just trying to help me catch up so the 90 day and extension would be due at the same time next year.

They are trying to make square pegs fit into round holes!  Unless you never leave/return Thailand, your report dates are never going to be in sync with your extension date.  Every time you leave/re-enter Thailand--which theoretically might be once a month for some people--your 90 days starts again.

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 06:13:48 AM »
Did my 90 day report yesterday. Got there around 2:30. Gave the girl my passport and paperwork and 2 minutes later I was in the car and on my way home!  Just lends more credence to the fact that there is no need to do this! No mention of money, but there is a "tip box" prominently installed next to the window. They do need to install larger windows though. I'm not that tall but it was still difficult bending down to look into those tiny windows!

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
Did my 90 day report yesterday. Got there around 2:30. Gave the girl my passport and paperwork and 2 minutes later I was in the car and on my way home!  Just lends more credence to the fact that there is no need to do this! No mention of money, but there is a "tip box" prominently installed next to the window. They do need to install larger windows though. I'm not that tall but it was still difficult bending down to look into those tiny windows!

Always makes me smile to myself when expats from the G7 countries continually moan and groan about the Thai immigration rules. The fact is we have to do a 90 day report - get used to it, it's the rules. Look at it from another perspective, what rules would your country impose on your Thai wife/girlfriend or boyfriend if you were to take them to your homeland. How much paperwork is involved and time being interrogated in your embassy in Bangkok etc etc. You quoted 2 minutes plus driving there & back - no real hardship in my opinion.......

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 07:03:42 AM »
Well, my wife came to the U.S.  went through immigration checkpoint at the airport. They issued her an alien registration card (Green Card).  Left the airport and never had to report to anyone again. Five years later applied for citizenship. Got it.  Are you telling me that Thailand can't do something similar for those that are married to Thai citizens?

On a Thai passport, no Visa ??
Thailand could probably do the same, but they choose to do what they do. All i am saying is, as guests of their country abide by their rules.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:05:41 AM by YorkshireMan »

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »
It seems Kowpot left out a lot of the beginning of the story.  Yorksireman, yes, you have to go to the US Embassy (somewhere - doesn't have to be Bangkok), apply, present all the necessary paperwork, do an interview, and hope the Consulate Officer accepts your story and approves the Visa, usually a 10-year 'stamp'.

Then you have to go through US Immigration where the Immigration Officer is the real decision maker about whether you can get into the country.  Some of them really nail one down.  (Saw it happened where a foreigner WAS NOT allowed into the country with his visa and had to go through a thorough questioning by a senior official (don't know if he ever got approved.))

The visit is for 6 months only, then you have to leave.  Don't know if you can do a 'visa' run or not.  Don't think that a Green Card replaces the original visa.

A Green Card is NOT a simple application the way Kowpot makes it sound (and if you can get it at US Immigration the way he describes, I doubt it.)  Being married to an American is NOT the criteria.

I am not sure why so many complain about the 90-day report, simple and easy to do.  AND you can have someone else do it for you!  Now you can do it online if you so desire.

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
It seems Kowpot left out a lot of the beginning of the story.  Yorksireman, yes, you have to go to the US Embassy (somewhere - doesn't have to be Bangkok), apply, present all the necessary paperwork, do an interview, and hope the Consulate Officer accepts your story and approves the Visa, usually a 10-year 'stamp'.

Then you have to go through US Immigration where the Immigration Officer is the real decision maker about whether you can get into the country.  Some of them really nail one down.  (Saw it happened where a foreigner WAS NOT allowed into the country with his visa and had to go through a thorough questioning by a senior official (don't know if he ever got approved.))

The visit is for 6 months only, then you have to leave.  Don't know if you can do a 'visa' run or not.  Don't think that a Green Card replaces the original visa.

A Green Card is NOT a simple application the way Kowpot makes it sound (and if you can get it at US Immigration the way he describes, I doubt it.)  Being married to an American is NOT the criteria.

I am not sure why so many complain about the 90-day report, simple and easy to do.  AND you can have someone else do it for you!  Now you can do it online if you so desire.

The reason 'farang' complains about 90 day reporting or anything Thai is because the majority have nothing better to do. I used to live in Phuket and the number of 7/11 Immigration experts was bewildering. It was amazing how drinking archa beer, sitting outside mama & papa shop at 0800 in the morning made you into an expert in the subject of Thai Immigration.............

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »
Chill out people! If you understood my one sentence as a complaint against Thailand and immigration, then you need a quick course in reading comprehension. All I was saying is that seeing what little time it took shows that its not necessary. I don't don't mind at all going to Immigration every 90 days. I rather enjoy talking with the IOs. At least with the new system they don't waste the time of an IO.

BTW: If you are a foreigner in the US on a long term visa(several years) the only time you have to report to Immigration is if you change your address.

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
Perfectly Chilled

Image result for chilled out animals

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »
retfed50, I think that 'tip box' is left over from what used to be in that office.  If you did not have a picture, they would take your picture, 200 baht.  If you needed copies of anything missing or when you got a re-entry permit along with your extension and you needed a new passport page of the extension, then the copier was in that office.  You could tip them what you felt was needed for the copy.  Therefore, a tip box.

Remember that is an old office just converted for the 90-day report and Form 30 submittals (maybe some other activities too.)  The windows were originals too.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 06:33:21 AM »
Well, this is interesting Kowpot.  You have to explain to us how she did it.  That is if she is Thai, which I assumed like everyone else.  Unless she is a citizen of a country identified on the Visa Waiver Program.  What is your/her secret?

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
I will admit - it will be interesting to know how she managed to visit usa, without going through the normal channels.....

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
    <snip>
BTW: If you are a foreigner in the US on a long term visa(several years) the only time you have to report to Immigration is if you change your address.

Is that true?  In the earlier discussion about the proposed 10 year (5+5) visa, it seemed odd to me that they would be willing to turn the falang loose for five years.  As I jokingly pointed out, the entire forestry industry would go broke no longer supplying wood to the paper-mills to make those bzillions of photocopies every year. It is not that I think being turned loose is a bad idea, it just seems so out of character with overall imm policy.  A 90 day report serves no purpose except to remind you of your place in the scheme of things.  Criminals and other nogoodnicks are obviously not gong to report or are going to report falsely.

Shipm8te

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Since the opening of the Immigration Office in Khon Kaen, I have done each of my 90 day reports via mail/post except the one that coincides with my annual renewal.  However, today after not receiving my acknowledgement slip back showing the next reporting date after three weeks,  I sent my spouse to inquire.  She was informed that they can no longer do the report via mail and that the individual must appear in person as they were finding many people lived elsewhere.   They did process the report for her, but said I must come next time.  Also, there was no fine for being late as my wife provided a copy of the EMS document showing that they had received the application.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
I didn't know KKC Imm did (or apparently now, used to do) 90 Day Reports by mail. Did any of yooze guys ever do this?  When we in KKC belonged to the Nong Khai Imm Office, I did my reports by mail, but sometimes did not get my receipt back. It was very annoying and inconvenient.  Then I started sending them to BKK.  There was no rule against  that at the time, and that was fine for awhile. Then, BKK returned a note with my receipt advising me to deal with Nong Khai next time, they would no longer process for non-BKK peeps. Fortunately, shortly thereafter, the KKC Imm office opened. However, I have never done a 90 Day in person, always send someone to do it for me.  Never had a problem.  I hope the "must come next time" was a one-off applying to Shipm8te's situation only.

Not that it is such an inconvenience or a big deal, but it is annoying because the process is witless and accomplishes nothing. Evil nogoodnicks are not going to report, or are not going to report the correct information, or if they do report the correct information are not going to stick around to be nabbed by the cops once they have done their dastardly deed!   Is it too logical to report annually or when there is a change?  Then, punish anyone  caught not reporting or reporting falsely. Better yet, save some trees and issue ID cards. Or even a numbered tattoo on one's arm. Oh, wait a minute, they tried that elsewhere one time, didn't they?

Tks for the report Shipm8te.  Anyone else have any unusual experiences about 90 Days, please post here.

Tks, lah!

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »
Well, this is interesting Kowpot.  You have to explain to us how she did it.  That is if she is Thai, which I assumed like everyone else.  Unless she is a citizen of a country identified on the Visa Waiver Program.  What is your/her secret?

Well, first of all, you have to stop acting like you are the authority on how things work in Thailand. I have been coming here since I was 19 years old. I lived here previously for six  years. I am now 63. 
 My wife is in fact Thai. We met in the states and were married in the Philippines. No paperwork, no nothing . Just got married in a church.  Then Mt. Pinatubo erupted. We had to get out, so I got a hold of a buddy at Subic bay and got my wife put on a Transport to guam. Once in Guam she cleared customs with a Thai passport and no Visa. From there she flew on to Seattle, Washington. Once there, immigration treated her an evacuee and issued her a "green card".  She then flew on to Florida where I met her about a month later. That was over 26 years ago. Believe it or not, I don't care. But if you really want to call me a liar, I think you should have the stones to say it to my face.