Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Money Transfers  (Read 3137 times)

Savannah20

• View Profile
Money Transfers
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:14:27 AM »
I have not used this service but it sounds pretty good and Thai Baht is one of the currencies they deal in:

https://transferwise.com/us/

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Money Transfers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Seems pretty expensive.

Don't forget Paypal which works very well and seems cheap.

I asked someone in KK to top up my AIS phone card with 200 baht to avoid expiry of my credit (why do they put a limit on the date before they steal it from you???).

I am in UK at the moment and it cost 4.50.
Exchange rate of 44.4 and no fee.

Transferwise would have charge me around 2.50, ie about 50% fee so my 4.50 would only have bought around 100bt.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Fri 23 Sep 2016, 5:32 pm

It looks like something is missing from this thread.  Did someone delete their original post???

For the past bzillion years, I have topped up my AIS prpaid mobile from my online Kasikorn Banking.  I also top up for my staff and others.  It takes a few min to setup a template, but then just a few clicks to add funds. No fee for this.   I know it works on AIS and DETAC, and I assume probably does on TRUE and the others as well.  I guess the other banks have this facility as well. 

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »
I can't do it from the UK via my BKK Bank or any credit card.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »
Screamer, if you are interested in the top up of your mobile phone, not sure why you are having any problem.  I can sit in a hotel room in the US or anywhere else, access my Bangkok Bank Saving account, and top up my phone. 

I can also transfer funds between Thai bank accounts (from my BBL account to anyone of my wife's accounts) from the road internationally.

I can also transfer funds from my US bank account to my Thai Bank Account for free on the US side.  Of course, BBL charges me a fee for the currency conversion and another one for transferring into my BBL account.  The fee is $5USD for up to $2000USD and then the nominal 200 baht fee to transfer to my account here in Thailand.

But I get an excellent rate of exchange, much better than walking into a Thai Bank and converting US $100 bills. 

This process is NOT an International Funds Transfer using SWIFT.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »
Well, I've tried from the UK but the BKK Bank was never listed as one that I could use, regardless of it being an online account or not.
There were a list of acceptable banks etc and it wasn't there.

At the moment I'm just in Thailand on a tourist visa when I'm there and BKK bank wouldn't allow me online access when I was there in June on such a visa, but that's not really relevant.

Maybe time I had another look.

(I'm assuming you are talking about AIS)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:31:03 AM »
Quote from: Screamer
. . . At the moment I'm just in Thailand on a tourist visa when I'm there and BKK bank wouldn't allow me online access when I was there in June on such a visa, but that's not really relevant.

Screamer, that is EXACTLY relevant.  You cannot do what Frank and I are describing without online banking.  If you have online banking, you can top up your mobile, pay bills, transfer money to anyone with a Thai bank account, and do international fund transfers online from your computer, from anywhere in the world you have internet access, and it is quick and easy.   

I got the same runaround from BKK Bank 12 years ago.  I have written about how unpleasant it has been dealing with them.  It is disappointing to learn they remain so hostile and rigid even after all these years.

I am with Kasikorn--but I think the same is true with several other banks as well--and they authorized online banking in 10 minutes whereas BKK Bank down the road had treated me like I was some kind of terrorist. 

Without having online banking in Thailand, trying to get anything done is like going back to the Flintstones and clay tablets!

Maybe you should consider opening a Kasikorn bank account while you are in town?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
Screamer, do you have a residential address here in Thailand?  I understand that you come here on a tourist visa, but do you live with someone that can verify that you have a residential address.  A hotel room does not count.  If you do then you should be able to go to the bank with them and 'certify' that you have a residential address.  Cannot see why you are not able to get online banking.  If you have a Bangkok Bank Account and use an ATM to withdraw money, then they should give you online banking.  Check out this url under "Register Today"

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/Pages/Default.aspx

To Transfer funds from the UK to your account here, check out the web site defined below:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

It looks like you really want to do the transfer in Baht and not Pound Sterling or Bangkok Bank will use their exchange rate here in Thailand.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

Frank, Screamer,

BKK flatly refused me online banking and I had a Non-imm "B" Visa, or maybe by that time it was a Non-imm "O" and a retirement extension.  Either way, I had a proper visa, and residence address AND a landlord who was some kind of manager with BKK Bank.  Even he could not (or would not) help.  Nope, nope, nope.  I needed a work permit, they sez. 

As I have written here before, for two years running, BKK Bank made me jump through all kinds of hoops to get a two sentence letter confirming the balance in my account for Imm.  I had to sit around a long time waiting, then they made me come back the next day to pick up the letter because it had to be signed by a manager.  Then the next day, it was not ready when I arrived, and I had to wait around some more.

Next year, I foolishly thought I had my ass covered.  I arrived with a photocopy of the letter they provided me the year before.  Did that speed things up?  Fuck, no!  Same bull shit as the previous year. 

Also, as I have shred previously, my experience with Kasikorn Bank was and has been 180 degrees different. They have always been prompt and friendly and helpful with all transactions.  They set me up with online banking in 10 minutes, didn't give me that "stink eye" even a little bit.  As to the letter confirming my balance, they prepared it in front of me in five minutes while I was sitting at the desk.  It has been that way every year since.

I have heard similar positive stories about other banks in KKC. That fact that there is such a contrast suggests that there is something "wrong" at BKK Bank operating at such a hostile and ridged way toward customers.

In all fairness, I have to say that when we had our business account at Kasikorn in Pattaya in 2000 (then Thai Farmers Bank), they were a real pain in the ass to deal with in spite of the physical bank looking very hip and modern with chrome and glass and gray carpets and green sports jackets.  At that time, BKK Bank was "go to" place that treated us decently, but their physical plant looked like something out of a Dickens novel.  Go figure!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:10:07 PM by Rex (Admin) »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »
Rex - I think any bank is better than BKK.

Fce....

I had to show them a real address (ahem) to open my account in the first place but when I went in to talk to them in June they just looked at my visa and said no.
Mind, that was for the Bualuang mbanking app so maybe there is a difference in permissions v general online banking.

Thanks for the links, it will be tomorrow before I can take a good look.

Hopefully soon I will be able to get a 1 year visa.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 07:22:06 AM »
Guys, thinking back to 2009 when I opened my first BBL account (which is hard to do at my age, remembering that is), I checked my computer files  and found an old BBL Banking Guide.  Then I remembered that my first BBL account I opened was a joint account.  Then in 2010 after getting my Non-Immigrant VISA (1-year), I opened an individual bank savings account and got online banking.  I used a Thai business associate as a reference (he went to the BBL office with me) to get it.  All this happened in Bangkok not out here in the hinterland.  But once I had a retirement VISA, I opened an account here in Khon Kaen with online banking with no problem.  Yes, I used a copy of my lease agreement to provide a residential address here in Thailand and my US Driver's License for my US address.

The REAL main reason I use BBL is allow me to easily transfer money from my US bank account (both current and savings) to BBL since they have a branch in NYC.  Why?  They have a bank routing number.  Do not have to use SWIFT, which is excessively expensive where my money transfer to BBL has a minimal charge.)  The only other Thai bank that I know of that has an office in the US is KTB with an office in LA (just found out about it this year.  So they have a bank routing number.)

But to each his own.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
For those interested there is a closed group on Facebook TransferWise Solutions.  I am not endorsing just proving information for those who may be interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TWSOL/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:24:45 PM by Rex (Admin) »