Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Bank Account  (Read 9683 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Bank Account
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
Rex, they JUST must not like you.  I went by myself with my non-imm visa and a friend as a reference, got the savings account and ATM card.  Then I did the online banking on the ATM outside the branch office, noone else on the account but myself, no Yellow Book, nothing else by my passport.  AND THIS WAS IN NOVEMBER OF 2011!  I HAVE NEVER HAD A WORK PERMIT.

YorkshireMan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
I have had a Bangkok Bank a/c for 8 years and always had online banking

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
Rex, here s what it says on the Bangkok Bank website about foreigners not eligible for Bualuang iBanking
[/size]http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/Pages/Default.aspx[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Register today![/b][/font][/size][/font][/color]
To apply for Bualuang iBanking, either visit any ATM with your ATM or debit card, or print out an [/color]application form to take into your nearest branch.
Foreign customers registering should provide their passport and evidence of a local residential address (not PO Box or Hotel), as well as a list of accounts to be registered.
[/color][/size]Here is more information.  Maybe in the Bangkok Bank database, you are registered as a tourist.[/color]

In these instances, you will not be eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking:

[/size]If the ATM/Be1st Debit card you used to apply for the service is a joint account. In this case, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply. All joint owners of the account will have to go to the branch in person and present their ID cards, together with the account passbook.
[/color]
  • If your personal information, as shown in the bank’s database, identifies you as a “Tourist”, you will not be able to apply for the service via the website channel. In this case, please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
Tks Frank.

Yeah, BKK, at least Na Muang,  regards me as a "tourist."  The either do not understand the concept of a retirement visa or they don't or won't be moved off of their narrow interpretation.  This is nothing new.  Same story as 12 years ago when I opened the account.

As I said, I had no expectations and was just playing around because the new ATM card went so smoothly and there was no one in the bank at the time.  No biggie.  I just keep a little "mad money" in the bank for no particular reason that I can think of.  Kasikorn has always been pleasant, accommodating, helpful and quick.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
You really need to go to the main office here in Khon Kaen and make them change your status to non-imm visa basis.  Leaving it as a 'tourist' really limits your ability to process transactions.

It is so easy to pay bills, do top-ups, transfer funds to someonelse's account when necessary, etc.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I've been with Kasikorn Bank for 15 years, back when they were Thai Farmers Bank.  Never a hint of problem.  I think the last time I needed to go into my branch  (Tesco/Lotus) was when I renewed my passport two years ago and went to tell them about it for their files.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »
Tks Frank.

Yeah, BKK, at least Na Muang,  regards me as a "tourist."  The either do not understand the concept of a retirement visa or they don't or won't be moved off of their narrow interpretation.  This is nothing new.  Same story as 12 years ago when I opened the account.

As I said, I had no expectations and was just playing around because the new ATM card went so smoothly and there was no one in the bank at the time.  No biggie.  I just keep a little "mad money" in the bank for no particular reason that I can think of.  Kasikorn has always been pleasant, accommodating, helpful and quick.

Do you get  any interest from either of these banks as a tourist?

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »
I've been with Bangkok bank for 14 years and they still won't give me a credit card, despite earning more than the 80k they ask for.

I can;t wait til the day, hopefully in a year or so when I go in as a Thai citizen to ask for one.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »
I have had a Bangkok Bank account, Na Muang Branch, Khon Kaen for I guess more than 10 years.  I don't use it for reasons I have ranted about several times on this forum.  Now I have another reason:

Got a notice my debit card was about to expire.  I happened to be a Central Plaza and it was convenient to stop by the branch and get a new card.  Waited 20 minutes or so, got to the counter and everything appeared to be routine . .. until she explained that they could not issue a new card at that branch because I have a new passport with a new passport number, and therefore I have to go to the branch to get the new debit card.

Gawd knows what torture the branch will put me through because I have a new passport.

Meditate before I go to the branch tomorrow.

Even with an old passport, another branch can't issue you a new card.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »

I went to CENTRAL PLAZA and took my wife's english speaking nephew and of course my wife who has a bank account with bangkok bank. i thought it would be good planning for me to open one, for several reasons:

Do you speak to your wife in English or Thai?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
I have had an account with BBK on Na Muang for nearly 15 years.  But there is never any more than B1,000 in it because  they are assholes! I have ranted about them more than once here and elsewhere. My first gripe is that they refuse to allow me online banking even though I have applied three times.  More relevant to your post, Kajo, is that years ago, for some reason, I thought I needed a letter from the bank confirming my bank balance for my annual visa extensions. I think the first time, I had to wait around for nearly an hour and talk to three people before they understood what I wanted. Then, I had to come back the next day to collect the letter. More waiting before they finally produced it; a letter with two simple sentences! 

The following year, I thought I was oh-so-fucking-clever.  I arrived with a xerox copy of the letter they had produced for me the year prior. How much money would you like to be that cured them of the stupids?  Not a chance.  Same waiting, getting sent to multiple people, then come back tomorrow.  Someday, if I have nothing better to do, I may move the account to Sri Chan as others have reported better treatment there. Meanwhile, Kasikorn has always treated me well.

As contrast, Kasikorn down the street gets the letter done in 10 minutes while I am sitting as the desk.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »

I got my letter from BBK in BKK in 10mins but I still wouldn't recommend them.

When I went in to change my address they didn't want any proof, I could have told them anything.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
Which BBK, Na Muang, or Sri Chan, or another branch?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »
If that is addressed to me then, as it says, it was in Bangkok

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 07:22:49 AM »

I had a very similar experience as Screamer, but it was at the Sri Chan Main Branch.  We (my wife and I) went in to set up a direct deposit account for depositing my US Social Security monthly pension payment so it would transfer in the correct IAT format.  I needed my US Passport to do it and my other bank account book.  While we were there, the assistant who handled a majority of the administrative details, went online to my other account (which had been opened years ago in Bangkok using my non-immigrant O-A visa) to get the personal information and saw that my address was an old one and then changed it to my current address, no identification needed.

Now here is a negative, which I am not sure that other Thai banks have the same rules or not.  AND I just recently found it out.  Since my main account is from Bangkok (a different region), if I use a teller to transfer funds from a Khon Kaen-established bank account to one from a different region, there is a second charge called a 'commission'.  This really irked me.  If I do it online, no charge.  I guess a 'personal' touch costs!