Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Yellow Residence Book? Permanent Residence?  (Read 9292 times)

marianjessop

• View Profile
Yellow Residence Book? Permanent Residence?
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here! From the Philippines, and Married to a Thai. Just ran all over and finally got my "Yellow" Residence Book. It's Blue for Thais. Does that make me a permanent residence here in Thailand? I can't get a clear answer even from my husband nor can he get one from the people at the Municipal Office. Basically that just means I'm a registered to an address, but what does that mean? I've read up on forums that in order to get permanent residence you need the red book then go to the police station, then have a certificate of residence, etc etc etc. So I'm not really convinced, nor am I relieved to get this Yellow Residence Book. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could clear this up. Even the internet has mixed results. Thank you in advance!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Yellow Residence Book? Permanent Residence?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
Hiya MJ,

Welcome!  I don't know if coming from an ASEAN country makes any difference in your case.  However, at least for falang, there are NOT many permanent residents in Thailand. There seems to be a bit of  controversy about exactly how one gets it and how difficult or easy it is to obtain.  I think you have to have been making 80K per month for three years to qualify.  However, that should not be a problem for a rich KKU teacher!  Hehehehe . . . 

Other people may have better info that I do, but my research  (admittedly minimal) gives me the impression that  there are not really many benefits to being a permanent resident, even if you can get it.  It is not like the U.S. were permanent residents are very nearly citizens and  can do everything but vote in federal elections.

Anywho, your yellow book only proves that you live at the address in the book, it has NOTHING at all to do with your immigration status. With very few exceptions (if any) your status here will always be conditional, subject to the whims and pleasures of Immigration, reviewed and approved annually, as you no doubt have been doing all along. And that is the case regardless of how many Thai husbands and kids you might have.  It is unfortunate that immigration is so limited and restricted.  The only difference is that in the "old days" the same laws were in place, but rarely enforced, and the wheels could easily be greased with some bahtski. 

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:01 PM »
OP, as Rex said, the Yellow Book just shows where you live.  It does not imply Permanent Residence or anything other than that's where you live.  If you change your address, you'll need a new yellow Book.

As a person married to a Thai, you can skip PR and apply directly for citizenship.
It's much cheaper and gives you a lot more than PR does.
You should read up on the qualifications and time line to apply, than set out to meet the requirements.

In the meantime, keep up with your immigration requirements / status.

Terry

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
MJ, you may want to read this web page on Permanent Residency.  Give you a lot of information.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
And the fee for PR is about 100K for those married to a Thai.

As I said, much cheaper to skip PR and apply directly for Citizenship.
No re-registering every year.
No WP required.
No re-entry permits if you want to travel out of country.

For someone married to a Thai it seems like a no brainer to me.

There are some requirements, though.  The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the requirements are easier for a female like they are for extensions of stay from immigration.

From what I've read, you don't need an attorney or agent to apply for you.  It's supposed to be easy enough to do yourself. 

Good luck.
Terry

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Don't know where you are coming from Terry.  The application fee is only 7.600 baht.  you have to be one of 100 from your country to make the cut, you have to go through an interview but everything seems pretty easy and straightforward.   Read this website.

http://usa.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/thailand-permanent-visa-us.php

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:56:36 AM »
7600 to apply.  The rest you pay upon approval, which could be several years in the future, if at all. 
About 100k total for those married to a Thai.  About 200k for those not married to a Thai.

The website you read is a commercial site.  They are in the business of making money.  Maybe they didn't give all the fee info because it might scare off potential business?  I really don't know.

Here is more info.  More details about the total fee.

4. Fees
4.1 A fee for each application is 7,600 baht (Seven thousand six hundred baht only) whether permission is granted or not. Application fee is not refundable.
4.2 If the application is approved by the Immigration Commission, Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, the fee for the residence permit is 191,400 baht One hundred ninety-one thousand four hundred baht only). However, the residence permit fee for spouses and children (under 20 years of age) of aliens who already had the residence permit or Thai citizens is 95,700 baht (Ninety-five thousand and seven hundred baht only).

Terry

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
Excellent detail, Terry.  Should never doubt you.  I guess that is why a huge majority of us retirees living in Thailand do not apply for residency.  That is, unless you are very rich and don't want to be bothered by the yearly extension application costs and the re-entry permit charges.

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I looked into PR/Citizenship some years back and the biggest, and insurmountable, barrier to both (for me as a non-worker) was the need to have paid income tax for (I think) 3 years immediately preceding the application. No way around that so I looked no further.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »
See what I meant in my original post?  Every time this comes up, people claim that it is simple and straight-forward.  Then, very soon, other posts suggest just the opposite and muddy the waters.

More important, me thinks, than how do you get it is if you get it, what does to do for you?

Can you avoid annual Imm interviews?
Is your residency status protected from being arbitrarily rescinded by Imm.
Can you work without a work permit?
Is your work permit "portable?" Can you take it from one job to another?
Are you free to perform work in industries formerly reserved only  for Thais?
Can you own a business outright?
Can you own land and houses outright?
Can you own a firearm (not that I recommend it)?

My research is old, but I tend to recall that the answer to all or most of these is an unambiguous "No!" 

No?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »
I kept reading about Permanent Residency.  Like Rex said, there are still issues.  The only positive thing that I saw was NO 90 DAY REPORT.

You still have to renew your "red book' with the police every year - 1,000 baht.
You still have to get a re-entry permit every time you leave the country - 1,000 for single or 3,800 baht for multiple and probably expires after a year.

Like I said, the only thing different was no 90 day report.  All the rest seems to be the same as a Retirement extension or a Marriage visa.  You still have to go to IMM or police every year.

So where is the real benefit for retirees or a person married to a Thai unless one plans on becoming a Thai citizen?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
The 90 day report is a minor inconvenience, nothing more.  As they allow for an "agent" to file on your behalf, it is even less of a hassle.  I have not been to Imm to file my own 90 Day  in years.  Now that they (reportedly) no longer require photocopies of your PP, it is even easier.    It looks like online filing is imminent.

They would have to sweeten the pot a whole lot more to get my attention. It sounds like a political "face saving" thing.  They look good by offering a modern permanent residency--as many countries do--without giving up anything and without having to change much of anyting.  Very clever!

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Quote from: Good 'ol Frank
So where is the real benefit for retirees or a person married to a Thai unless one plans on becoming a Thai citizen?

A couple of years ago a big change was made.  Now, if you are married to a Thai, you can apply directly for citizenship, and skip PR.

What remains the same for either, though, is the working with WP part.  So that eliminates quite a few people who otherwise might be interested in applying.

"It looks like online filing is imminent."

Online filing is already available.  While there are still problems, it appears to be working for many.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:16:46 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
Terry, I completely missed the news about being able to skip PR and apply directly for citizenship. I didn't think it was even possible.

Is this unconditional, 100% citizenship or some kind of  citizenship-lite  thing?  Can you own  property, vote, join the army, hold elected office, work for the gov,  own 100% of a business, work anywhere and without a WP?

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:31:30 PM »
I haven't really researched it, but I believe it's unconditional.  A lot of info on TV.

Not sure about military service, though.  It seems to me that the people who would want to apply for citizenship aren't the same ones who would want to join the Army.

Terry