Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: RAMA Optical (for glasses)  (Read 2115 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
RAMA Optical (for glasses)
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
Tue 16 Dec 2014, 11:17 am

I just had a really nice experience at RAMA Optical, as I did when I used them several years ago.

Although I have low-vision and a tricky condition, fortunately, my vision doesn't change very much or very often, even being an "old guy."   It has been four years since I have gone through the rigamarole of getting new glasses.  I am a little short on cash this month, so I just dealt with the glasses I use most often--many hours per day--for computer work.  I got a nice, light-weight titanium frame, and glare resistant  "computer lenses" which are supposed to block the blue spectrum and reduce eye strain.  Dunno, but I had just read about these things on the internet and so was willing to pay a little more in the off-chance they actually do what they say.

The nice thing about RAMA is that if you are getting simple lenses with no tint or other stuff, they make them on the premises and can have same or next day.  If they have to send to a lab-as they did in my case--the  turn around is about one week.  They are really good about repairs and adjustments, often no-charge.

The total tab was around 7,500 THB, more than I needed to spend, but not like the MAFIA prices at the chain stores and shopping center outlets.  Ignore any marked prices and ask for a deep discount.

But the very best part, more important than any of the other stuff , was time and care Dr. Peangjai was willing to take with me.  Because of my condition, the doc needs to take enough  time to get it right, and that is hard to come by in more commercial places where there is a line of customers waiting, and the doc rations 10 minutes for each patient.  That is not a terrible practice as most prescriptions are pretty straight-forward and can be done quite quickly.

Even better, as soon as I got home, I fortunately had an insight that I had seriously f**ked up in explaining to the doc that my reading distance from the computer screen was around 20 cm, when I meant 20 INCHES!  We caught her before she had phoned the order into the lab, so returned and spent another 30 min getting-assessment.   

Just a lovely woman, I am so impressed!

Warning!  It is hard to find this shop, there is no sign in English, and it looks like a dusty old shop that sells clocks.  Do not be offput by the "Chinese style."  It is what is "under the hood" that counts.

Rama Optical
Dr. (Ms.) Peangjai Ruammahasap, O.D.
Optometrist
62/50 Klang Muang Road
(almost directly opposite the police station)
A. Muang
Khon Kaen 40000
Tel  043-225-080
Fax 043-321-789
rama@thai.com

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: RAMA Optical (for glasses)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

Thanks, Bavarian!

There is also  http://www.goggles4u.com/ , same idea, and crazy-low prices.  Thailand used to be a bargain for eyeglasses, but not any more, especially when the mall shops (i.e., eyeglasses MAFIA) pushes the expensive designer frame and unnecessary extras.

Thanks for your post.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: RAMA Optical (for glasses)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »
Wed 24 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm

Thanks, Jocsum.

Welcome to our little community!

Eyeglasses are not a bargain in Thailand anymore.  In the past, it might have been one of the reasons to visit; you pay for a big chunk of your plane fare with the money you saved on glasses.  No more.   :-[    RAMA is great, and the level of care from Dr.  Peangjai is quite special.  But she ain't cheap either!

Interesting that you wrote just now.  I tried for several hours to place an online order with Goggles4u.com, and kept getting rejected. They have been sending me advertising forever.   Finally after rounds of e-mails, they tell me they are no longer shipping to Thailand!!!   Too bad because their sale prices are really cheap, the selection is good and the website works good (unless you are in Thailand)!

So, instead, I just bought my "back up" emergency pair of distance and another sun glasses at http://www.EyeBuyDirect.com .  Not as cheap as Goggles, but both pair, including DHL shipping cost 4,100 THB total.  More options such as photogray would obviously be more, but I am happy with my choice and the $$$.  Hopefully, I  will never have to use them!    No snags at all ordering.  And, I discovered that I stupidly made an error in my prescription.  I talked to a helpful guy via onlline chat who sorted it out for me in 60 seconds.   

I am impressed with these guys and think I will affiliate with them on my site because a lot of expats might find them useful and a good deal.