Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Rachapreuk Hospital  (Read 16253 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Rachapreuk Hospital
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
I fail to see why people dismiss the Khon Kaen Government Hospital.
Doctor's consultancy charge - 50 baht, and as a lot of the doctors actually also practice at Private hospitals, there is a good chance you will be seen by one of these. I know somebody will mention 'waiting time', but as I am retired, and have the whole day to myself, I don't mind the wait, as I know I am getting value for money.

Obviously, waiting time is more of a consideration for some than for others. Ultimately, it is a cost-benefit analysis. Retired or not, I suspect that most peeps could make more enjoyable or constructive use of their time than waiting on services. If you take your entire retirement income and express it as an hourly rate, that is how much is costs you to sit around and waiting on services.  Of course, Brits and others from countries with national health care systems may have been conditioned to accept wait time as a normal part of reality.

Also, the longer one exposes themselves to an environment full of sick people, some or many with communicable diseases, the great the risks of catching something.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »

Of course, the cheapest way to get rid of ear wax is to do it yourself at home with drops of olive oil.
It is all that is in expensive chemist ear drops. There is another sort but olive oil works fine, just takes a few days.

I have heard that several people have gotten their eardrums sucked complete out with those things!!!  :(

--

Just kidding!  I have not heard anything like that!!!   roll

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Khon Kaen Hospital and Srinagarind Hospital (both government hospitals) have evening clinics that charge a little extra with much shorter waiting times.
Cashier and pharmacy waits are also considerably shorter.

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
I fail to see why people dismiss the Khon Kaen Government Hospital.
Doctor's consultancy charge - 50 baht, and as a lot of the doctors actually also practice at Private hospitals, there is a good chance you will be seen by one of these. I know somebody will mention 'waiting time', but as I am retired, and have the whole day to myself, I don't mind the wait, as I know I am getting value for money.

Obviously, waiting time is more of a consideration for some than for others. Ultimately, it is a cost-benefit analysis. Retired or not, I suspect that most peeps could make more enjoyable or constructive use of their time than waiting on services. If you take your entire retirement income and express it as an hourly rate, that is how much is costs you to sit around and waiting on services.  Of course, Brits and others from countries with national health care systems may have been conditioned to accept wait time as a normal part of reality.

Also, the longer one exposes themselves to an environment full of sick people, some or many with communicable diseases, the great the risks of catching something.

Got to disagree about time when retired. Taking your retirement income, and expressing it as an hourly rate is BS.
The vast majority of retired people I know have all the free time to do as they like, so to spend silly money to avoid a small wait, with probably the same outcome is ludicrous !

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I said that waiting time is more of a consideration for some than for others. That seems a perfectly obvious and reasonable statement.

"Taking your retirement income, and expressing it as an hourly rate..." is only "BS" for those who do not value their time or have nothing better to do with it.

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
I said that waiting time is more of a consideration for some than for others. That seems a perfectly obvious and reasonable statement.

"Taking your retirement income, and expressing it as an hourly rate..." is only "BS" for those who do not value their time or have nothing better to do with it.

I have been here a long time, and met a hell of a lot of retirees.
Never once has any one of them suggested they express their retirement income 'as an hourly rate'.
It must be an American thing ?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
Maybe they ought to.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Rex, I agree with you.  I don't go to much detail on my retirement rate, but I am NOT interested either going super early and being one of the first in line or going at a normal time and being a number who gets to wait and wait.  Yes, I am retired but it does not mean my time isn't precious to me.

It has to be a socialize medicine thing as it is in many countries.  I know in discussing it with Canadian friends, if they could, they said they would always prefer going to the US for a procedure than waiting in the line at a Canadian Hospital.

I think the use of certain government hospitals here in Thailand by farangs is to get the cheapest rate!!  Even my Thai wife does not want to go to Khon Kaen Hospital because of the wait and the "lack of quality" care.  She will go to a clinic tied to the hospital to get her blood tests when necessary and always to get her medications (90 days at a time.)  Why? no wait if you drop off your medical booklet before lunch and come back at 1PM to see the doctor. You get priority then.  AND it is a standard test when necessary so no real negatives.

She is very positive feelings for Srinagarind Hospital, though.  AND I have used them the last couple of times for my blood tests with very positive results.  (I sent my results to my US Primary Care Physician and she acknowledges that they are done professionally!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 07:15:54 PM »
I admit it.  I am spoiled and I am a snob.  I don't like dealing with government agencies, et al. I don't even like going to the post office! I don't like waiting. I don't like crowds of people. Sometimes that cannot be avoided, of course, but when it can, I avoid it.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 04:25:26 PM »
It is funny to start thinking about some people's attitudes about "Now that you are retired, you can take all the time needed to get something done (like waiting and waiting)".  Well, I pay golf 2 days a week.  The worst time during the rounds are when you are behind a Thai sixsome which doesn't give a sh*t about time and you have to wait between shots.  A 3 1/2 hours round takes upwards of about 5 1/2 hours.  Not only that but they will NOT let you play through!  What a waste of precious time.  We even switched days from Friday to Thursday to try and get away from these inconsiderate people!

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »

If you are driving north, out of the city, just a little ways out of the tunnel, there is a large, nice looking building on the left. On the top of the building, it says " Rachapreuk Hospital". Anyone know what that's all about?

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
The old Rachapreuk Hospital near Ram Hospital has closed, the one you describe is the new one and it looks like a hotel when you go inside too, very nice.  smiley32

Sunset from my bedroom window

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

Huh, I'll be damned. Thanks Windy. I was at the old place not too long ago and no one mentioned a move.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
"no wait if you drop off your medical booklet before lunch and come back at 1PM to see the doctor."

What do you mean when you say 'medical booklet'?
Thanks,
Terry

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »

I am not sure to whom you have responded, but my wife has a medical booklet that she keeps and takes in with her when it is time to get prescriptions refilled or the doctor wants to take blood for tests.  The doctor completes whatever they do and gives it back to her at the end of the visit. 

Yes, if you go in before lunch, you usually gets a preferred time when you come back after lunch.  She usually goes one of the clinics that is tied to Khon Kaen Hospital.  Why? 30 baht for the doctor's appointment and all the prescriptions refilled.