Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Rachapreuk Hospital  (Read 22045 times)

Henry

• View Profile
Rachapreuk Hospital
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
 Rachapreuk Hospital is one I dont hear mentioned too often. Ive tried other hospitals in KK and wasnt really impressed. They were just, ok. Then I tried this one and I really like it.

Its not fancy and even looks a bit old. There is some wait time, but not unreasonable. All the employees are very pleasant and that makes the whole experience as good as a hospital visit can be.

The Doctors Ive seen have been spot on with a diagnosis and treatment.

They have Health check-up pakages of different kinds and as Im getting older and havent had a complete physical in many years, I just went in and had the gold package, that is the whole works. I was a bit concerned about what they might find. When I get up in the morning, I feel like crap. As the day goes on, I start to feel better. So, anyway, I thought, what the hell, lets see what they find.

I went in about 8am and it takes about 4-5 hours for the tests and then the results. Im not sure if they speak much English as no one attempted to. When I went in to see the Dr, what a surprise. There was a beautiful young girl that didnt look more than 18-19 years old. (She was probably 25-30, but you know how it is here). She started explaining the results and I had to stop her. I said, sorry, but I really dont understand, can you speak English? She said, "Oh, ok, and then in perfect English, explained the results.

To my surprise, everything was fine. The only thing was an enlarged prostate, but I knew that and its normal for someone my age. At least the PSA was ok. They gave me all the paperwork and when I got home, I looked everything up on the internet to see what it means and check the numbers.

The health packages start around Bt 1500. The gold package I got was Bt 8,800. My sister in the US works in a hospital and said it would be about 10 times that amount there!

Rachapreuk Hospital has a website that describes the packages in detail.

I have nothing to do with the hospital other than being a satisfied customer. I feel comfortable here, compared to other hospitals I felt were trying to squeeze every last baht out of me they could.

LungBing

• View Profile
Re: Rachapreuk Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
I went there earlier this year with a bladder infection.  I was given an ultrasound, blood/urine test, and then prescribed strong antibiotics.  It was all clear in a few days and I was very pleased with my treatment and the staff.  I can't remember the cost, but it was very reasonable.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:16 PM »
Thanks Henry and Uncle Bing for the reports.  This is good to know.  I wasn't crazy about  Rachapreuk the one time I went there (for something minor) for the reasons that Henry cites.  The place is sort of dreary and old-looking.  However, the important question is, compared to what?  To RAM?  RAM is very nearly a "fraud" in that it presumes or proposes or pretends to deliver service at the level of Bangkok RAM, but doesn't even come close.  Bangkok hospital (Khon Kaen) would be the best choice if you can afford it, but reports of the prices are really through the room.  Still, if my BOOPA covers it, that would be my preference.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
Since I hadn't been back to the US in about 1 1/2 years (and needed to renew my prescriptions for high blood pressure and cholesterol medications), told my US doctor that I would get the normal blood tests done that covered all the usual suspects including a PSA.  I would send her the results so that she had a record of my current health situation and to be able to renew my prescriptions.

I went to Rachapreuk Hospital With the results of my last US Medical Lab blood tests and they said that I would get the complete testing as done in the US.  The experience was very positive.  Did not do the Gold treatment but one step down.  It cost about 3200 baht and was as good as any Medical Lab in the US.  Of course, it was out of pocket costs not something that Medicare would pay, but it gave me the satisfaction that all was well and good with my health.

I am currently in the US and recently had the blood tests and saw my doctor.  Oh is still well and good!

I expect to do the same at Rachapreuk Hospital next September and send the results to my doctor for her records.

I also recommend Rachapreuk Hospital.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:27 AM »
Thanks for the report, Frank.  What BP meds are you taking?  How well do they control your BP. I am not at all happy with the treatment I have gotten from several docs sicne 2010, including KK RAM, who seem very cavalier about my numbers.  Meds control it enough to keep it out of the critical zone, but  only occasionally does it get anywhere near 120/80.   Now we hear reports that even 120/80 is too high and they want to lower the acceptable number. 

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
 My wife and I knew nothing about blood pressure until 2 dentists refused to pull one of her teeth because her bp was too high.(169/102).

I called my sister who is a registered nurse who works with the elderly, and explained the situation. She said not to take any medications until she tries to lower her bp with diet. After a lifetime of eating Issan food, loaded with salt, she says this new diet has absolutley no taste, but it did the trick. In just a few weeks, her bp was down to 100/60!  By the way, looking back, her high bp was most likley the reason twice in the past year, she passed out on the floor after getting up in the middle of the night.
 Her diet is very bland, but we still go out about once a week and she eats whatever she wants without any problems.

We bought a bp monitor for about 2300 bt and I found out I have low bp. About 95/55. I thought that was great, but acording to the internet, low bp can be just as dangerous as high. I often get dizzy when I stand up. Ill have to check with the doc about that.

Out in the countryside where I live, they have government clinics that serve the surrounding villages. They teach one person from each village how to take a blood pressure. He has a list of everyone with high bp, and once a month, he goes to the clinic and they give him enough pills for everyone in his village. Everyone is happy, they can keep eating thier papaya salad.

The larger towns have clinics that are open at night. They are private practices run by doctors who work at hospitals in KK during the day. The guy I go to is great. He takes one look at me and knows whats wrong. Once, I just sat down and he said, "oh, you have a vitamin b deficiency". He was right. Another time, I thought I had an alergic reaction to something. The dr. took one look and said I have shingles. Actually, he was speaking Thai and said I have "gnu sawat". i asked if he knew the English word for it. He thought for a minute and said, "herpes". This really freaked me out. All I know about herpes is there is no cure and now I have it on my face! The next day I called my sister and was relieved to find out it was shingles. The doctor visit and medication was only 900 bt.   (by the way, shingles is a form of herpes).

So anyway, for me the small clinics are the way to go for small stuff and Rachapreuk for everything else.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »
FYI, I take one Lisinopril 20 mg pill each day by taking the Thai product Lispril 20 mg produced by Siam Bheasach. Just took my bp and it is 108/70 with pulse of 85.  I buy them in the pharmacy directly across from the main post office. About 270 baht for a box of 30 pills.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
Thu 24 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

Thanks, Savanna,

Lisinopril is an "ACE Inhibitor" in the same class as Anapril, Ramipirl and others.  Very effective for some people and happily, dirt cheap (except for Ramipril for some reason),  and available over-the-counter at most pharmacies.  Unfortunately, I don't get much mileage from them   :o{

I wish I could find a doc willing to be more engaged and aggressive rather than just trying one or two meds and taking the attitude the results are the results, and that is as good as it is going to get. 

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 07:24:50 AM »
I was first prescribed a Beta Blocker which made me feel worse.  Have you ever tried those?  Professional snooker players use to use them to calm their nerves.  Pretty sure they are banned now in some "sports".

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
I tried a beta blocker for a short time.  It made me feel  "funny" or anxious, which is odd as BBs lower your heart rate and therefore should reduce anxiety.  Yes, I believe that beta blockers were the first "performance enhancing" drugs.  Olympic sharpshooters used them to become very still which gives a definite edge in shooting and I guess the same applies to snooker as well.

UK1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
Hi im travelling to KK im early december from the UK for my yearly visit to KK. I have been reading this thread and would like to get a full health check why im in KK . Ive read the Rachapreuk Hospital website regarding the golden health check package and information from this thread which i found interesting and my gut feeling is i will be probally  going to the Rachapreuk Hospital for the check in December. But i know there is the KK ram which i have used afew times on my visits to KK and found them ok but just expensive for your medication. there is also the kk bangkok hospital i have had no dealings with. my question really is which one to pick. I know the Rachapreuk Hospital 8800 baht for the gold package is tempting just for that price .  looking forward to reading your replys . Regards

JustinCase

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
Hi UK1

December is a good time to leave the UK  ;D - I have not been back there for over 11 years now.

Anyway, back on topic. I used to use KK Ram on a fairly regular basis but the doctor that used to look after my son there moved on. Another doctor (who lives in our village) recommended the doctor at Rachapreuk so we gave it a try.

I was impressed with service and facilities there - also the prices!! The surroundings may not be so luxurious, but what does that matter? Having said that, both my wife and I have had to stay for a few nights and the private rooms are every bit as good as the Ram.

This is always my first choice hospital now.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
UK1,

I have been to Bangkok Hospital and Ram. By far I prefer Rachapreuk. The Gold Package, for what you get is unbelievably cheap, in my opinion.

I would just suggest, give it a go.

No appointment nessesary, just show up about 8am. If you dont speak Thai, you should bring a translator.

UK1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
Thank you Justin Case & Henry for your feedback. Ill give Rachapreuk Hospital a go in December . Regards

PlasticRedTomato

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Just to add my experience at Rachapreuk: today went for the 8800 baht "gold program" that the OP also did. Am staying at the Khon Kaen Orchid Hotel (excellent place to stay by the way) which is literally around the corner from the hospital (2 minutes walk).

Walked over yesterday and had myself registered (need to show your passport which they photocopy). At the same time appointment was made to come in at 7:30am this morning.

Now I don't speak any Thai at all (beyond half a dozen basic words). This was no problem whatsoever - I was a bit worried as others had said one would need to speak Thai. Turns out many nurses and the doctors that I saw speak enough English to get by. Not necessarily fluent and sometimes had to ask for a repeat/rephrase but overall it was no issue at all to communicate. At the end of the tests everything was explained to me in decent English by an older female doctor.

The program started with blood being taken. This was followed by ECG, chest X-ray, ultrasound of abdomen, then urine sample. After this a tray with a snack (spongy cake) and drink (choice of orange juice, coffee, milo) and water was made available. This was welcome as you're asked to come in fasting (nothing but water in the 8 hours prior to the tests).

Then went to see the doctor for general physical exam and discussion of the results, which took about 15-20 minutes to run through (first the blood and urine test results, followed by the ECG, chest X-ray, and ultrasound images). I had a few other questions not related to the tests (sore throat, skin lesions) which I asked about and got a prescription for during the medical examination.

On average had to wait 20 - 40 minutes between each of the procedures so bring something to read (I was just reading the news on my phone). The place apparently even has free wifi but I did not try as I have enough data allowance on my phone.

I was out again just before 11am, so overall it took around 3.5 hours.

As mentioned by others the place looks somewhat old and battered, it clearly has been around for 30-40 years or so and is well used. It is really a kind of community hospital for the general public, there is nothing fancy about it as such. It is a busy place, the waiting areas are full, there's a lot of activity, babies cry. However the work is organised, you wait between tests but someone will duly appear and take you to the next step after 20 or 30 minutes. Almost all the signage is in Thai only, this is not a place that normally caters to farangs. If you want a fancy, western-style hospital go to Bumrungrad or similar.

However I found it a very pleasant experience. My lack of Thai language skills was no issue as I communicated in basic English with more than half a dozen nurses and in decent English with several doctors. The people seemed switched-on and dedicated to their work. My results were interesting, they found a gall stone and a kidney cyst on the ultrasounds - nothing major but to keep an eye on. It was my first ultrasound ever. The rest was ok and as expected.

I got prints of the blood and urine tests, ECG, a "Personal Health Record" booklet (mostly in Thai), and a CD which contains a viewer that can show the chest X-ray image (single image) and the various (20 or so) ultrasound images (on a computer; I'm using a Windows laptop, not sure whether it would work on other devices).

Total bill came to 9600 baht, this was due to the extra requests and prescription which added around 800 baht to the total cost.