Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Movies in English at SFC Cinemas this week  (Read 105976 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Movies in English at SFC Cinemas this week
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »
SFC CINEMA CENTRAL PLAZA KHON KAEN
New Movies in English This Week
Check SFC Website for complete listings =>
http://booking.sfcinemacity.com/

NON-STOP

Starring: Anson Mount, Corey Stoll, Julianne Moore, Liam Neeson, Lupita Nyong'o, Michelle Dockery, Nate Parker, Scoot McNairy

MetaCritic.com Metascore 56/100
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/non-stop-2014

Summary: During a transatlantic flight from New York City to London, U.S. Air Marshal Bill Marks receives a series of cryptic text messages demanding that he instruct the government to transfer $150 million into an off-shore account. Until he secures the money, a passenger on his flight will be killed every 20 minutes. [Universal Pictures]

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Non-stop Ennui!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
Thu 20 Mar 2014, 6:59 pm

Non-stop Ennui! 

Silly, waste of talent, waste of film, waste of money.

Liam Neeson is becoming a cookie cutter action hero cranking out one vaguely forgettable cookie cutter action movie after another. This type of film used to be referred to as a "made for TV movie" meaning acceptable for a mindless, mass-market, but much to sloppy and poorly thought-out to be taken seriously. I saw an older film like that recently on teevee with Selma Blair as recluse heiress living anonymously and agoraphobically in a Park Avenue penthouse, and the improbable plot to bilk her out of her fortune. A possibly clever premise that demanded an equally clever screenplay and director to pull it off . . . which it didn't get! Neither of these films was "bad." It is just that they weren't good, either. A viewing audience spoiled by The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire and Dexter and West Wing and Breaking Bad and, and and . . . expects and deserves something better. In the past we "forgave" TV movies for being not being good (Shogun was an notable exception) because they never aspired to be anything more than they were. Ironically, now we get teevee movies in the cinema with big-name talent earning mega-bucks . . . while the really good stuff is on teevee!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Movies in English at SFC Cinemas this week
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm

SABOTAGE

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Olivia Williams, Sam Worthington, Terrence Howard

Summary: Members of an elite DEA task force find themselves being taken down one by one after they rob a drug cartel safe house.

MetaCritic.com
Metascore :  None yet, but crappy reviews so far

THANKS FOR SHARING

Starring: Emily Meade, Gwyneth Paltrow, Joely Richardson, Josh Gad, Mark Ruffalo, P!nk, Pink, Tim Robbins

Summary: Four sex addicts in various stages of recovery struggle to form meaningful relationships.

MetaCritic.com
Metascore :  54/100

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:25:00 PM by admin »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:23 am

Oh, f**k!  Sabotaged Again!

Can't decide if this one is repulsively compelling or compellingly repulsive. I'll get back to you on that. However, normally I avoid these mindless, testosterone-driven, teenage shoot-em-ups, and if I happen to see one out of boredom, don't waste any pixels writing about it. However, this one is a "real" movie in the sense of technical expertise and well-executed action sequences. Good casting, and exceptionally convincing hard-ass guys (and girls). Sure would want them on my side in a conflict! And of course, it has an aging-but-effective, Ahnold, the "Governator." Contrived, unsatisfying story. But then, story is not an essential component of this type of movie.  To the extent there is one, story is just flimsy scaffolding to frame the action and cgi on.

Having said all of that, the thing that moves me to take pixel to screen is that I don't ever recall Ahnold saying the word "f**k" before. And, oh boy, does he ever say it, again, and again, and again and again . . . f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k. I don't recall if he actually says "mother f**ker ." He might, and certainly other characters do, as they romp through this contest to see how many times the word "f**k" can get inserted into a move. The profanity makes Quentin Tarantino movies look like Disney flicks!

Don't get me wrong. I ain't no boy scout. I use profanity and vulgar language and sub-standard English liberally, but always I hope, in order to make a point that might be lost in more genteel speech, or to judiciously add spice and color, or to purposefully shock, or to make a point, or to express an emotions best expressed "hot & dirty." However, the language in the film made me blush in the first ten minutes! Maybe I am just a wimp. However, is it seemly for a governor of the State of California to say "mother f**ker" publicly? Note my emphasis on the word "publicly." Could you imagine that coming from Barak Obama or Bill Clinton or George Bush?

So anyway, if all you f**kers out have an urge to see the Governor of the State of California say "mother f**ker!" you had better get your god dammed hairy ass down to see this f**king movie. Oh, and if you like graphic violence (and I mean GRAPHIC), you have yet another incentive to see this f**king movie. No person is ever shot without the bullet passing through the and causing massive blood spatter on the wall behind them. You will be especially charmed by a disemboweled victim of the drug cartel nailed to ceiling and dripping copious globs of blood and entrails onto an FBI agent below.

Enough said? Yeah, and f**k you too!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Thu 3 Apr 2014, 12:30 pm

Marvel's Captain America:
The Winter Soldier

MetaCritic.com
Metascore 69 /100 
It got a lot of good reviews

Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Emily VanCamp, Frank Grillo, Hayley Atwell, Maximiliano Hern?ndez, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan

Summary: After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy. 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
NOAH
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
Thu 10 Apr 2014, 10:21 am

NOAH
MetaCritic.com
Metascore 67/100
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Nick Nolte, Russell Crowe

Summary: The epic, biblical tale of Noah and the ark.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:46:11 AM by admin »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
No new movies with English soundtrack in KKC this week.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »
Thu 17 Apr 2014, 8:22 am

Alas and alack!   No new movies with English soundtrack in KKC this week.  

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Transcendence
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

This one opened on Friday rather than Thursday.
I don't know anything about it.

TRANSCENDENCE

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore : 44/100

Starring: Cillian Murphy, Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman, Rebecca Hall

Summary: Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him. However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed—to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can, but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will’s thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no way to stop him.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Brick Mansions and Railway Man
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
Fri 25 Apr 2014, 7:15 pm

SFC  CINEMA KHON KAEN
Check SF  Website for complete listings =>

BRICK MANSIONS

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore : 38/100

Starring:
David Belle, Paul Walker, The RZA

Summary: In a dystopian Detroit, abandoned brick mansions left from better times now house only the most dangerous criminals. Unable to control the crime, the police constructed a colossal containment wall around this area to protect the rest of the city. For undercover cop Damien Collier (Paul Walker) every day is a battle against corruption. For Lino (David Belle), every day is a fight to live an honest life. Their paths never should have crossed, but when drug kingpin, Tremaine (RZA) kidnaps Lino’s girlfriend, Damien reluctantly accepts the help of the fearless ex-convict, and together they must stop a sinister plot to devastate the entire city.

RAILWAY MAN

MetaCritic.com.
MetaScore  :  59/100

Starring: Colin Firth, Hiroyuki Sanada, Jeremy Irvine, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgard

Summary: Eric Lomax, a World War II British Army officer who was captured and forced to work on the notorious Death Railway, sets out to find those responsible for his torture.

Rex Sez: Surprising that this one got mixed reviews.  It is a thoughtful, complex, emotionally intense.  Wonderful actors and film makers.  It took forever before they were able to get it made.  Definitely only list for next week, although I reckon you wouldn't lose much seeing it on DVD. Let us know what you think
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:53:55 PM by admin »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Amazing Spider-man 2
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:52 am

Spiderman has the entire cinema entangled in his web!   On 4 screens; English 2D & 3D and Thai 2D & 3D.  

I wonder how many bzillions of dollars the film industry has collectively spent making movies about comic books?  There seems to be an insatiable appetite for this kind of entertainment, which I find mildly diverting . . . sometimes.  I was never much of a consumer of comic books as a kid, and never became a geeky-hip collector as an adult. I do wonder what historians will say about all of this in 100 years.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Rex's thoughts about Railway Man
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
Thu 1 May 2014, 2:19 pm

Railway Man is a beautiful film.  I am surprised it got such luke warm review overall.  Granted it is slow-moving (very), and quietly intense, and probably does not have broad commercial appeal.  However, it is extremely thoughtful, sensitive and well-done.  It is a "real" movie and we get damned few of them these days.  The film explores universal themes of human cruelty, the horrors of war, suffering, redemption and forgiveness which everyone can relate to. It also gives us a window into posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) at a time when little was know about it and no treatments were available.  None.   It also happens to be a fascinating story about some horrible incidents in a nasty little corner of World War II that no one would remember at all if it were not for the 1957 Hollywood hit "Bridge on the River Kwai" which paints a much more rosy picture of the terrible crimes committed there.

As Screamer says, definitely well-worth seeing. Get it on DVD if you miss it in the cinema.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
OCULUS and 13 SINS
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 06:08:33 AM »

Thu 8 May 2014, 6:02 am

13 SINS

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore 44/100

Starring: Ron Perlman, Mark Webber, Pruitt Taylor Vince

Summary: Elliot Brindle is a bright, meek salesman, drowning in debt - and desperate as he's about to marry the love of his life. Upon receiving a phone call informing him that he's on a hidden camera game show where he must execute 13 tasks to receive a sum total cash prize of $6.2M, Elliot dismissively follows through with his first two instructions: swat the fly that is currently bothering him, then eat the fly. With thousands of dollars suddenly appearing in his bank account, Elliot remains skeptical, though comforted by the knowledge that he can stop playing at anytime if only to lose every penny that he's won. Trapped into the horrors manipulated by unseen spectators, Elliot's need to complete the game escalates as the tasks grow more extreme, to a devastating point of no return.

OCULUS

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore: 61/100

Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Karen Gillan, Katee Sackhoff

Summary: Ten years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by something else altogether: a malevolent supernatural force—unleashed through the Lasser Glass, an antique mirror in their childhood home. Determined to prove Tim’s innocence, Kaylie tracks down the mirror, only to learn similar deaths have befallen previous owners over the past century. With the mysterious entity now back in their hands, Tim and Kaylie soon find their hold on reality shattered by terrifying hallucinations, and realize, too late, that their childhood nightmare is beginning again.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Godzilla 2014 and Haunt
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
SFC CINEMA CINEMAS THAILAND

GODZILLA 2014 !!!

On 3 screens; Thai 2D 3D, and English 2D

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore :  62/100

Starring: Aaron Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins

Summary: The world’s most revered monster is reborn in a powerful story of human courage and reconciliation in the face of titanic forces of nature, when the awe-inspiring Godzilla rises to restore balance as humanity stands defenseless. [Warner Bros. Pictures]

Rex sez:  The reimaging some years ago with Matthew Broderick was a disappointing piece of crap!  How the hell did Godzilla fit into those subway tunnels, anyway? The trailer for the 2014 version looks very promising, sets just the right tone.  Maybe be a nice payoff?

And here is the 1956 trailer for the original Godzilla, King of the Monsters!

HAUNT

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore :  33/100

Starring: Harrison Gilbertson, Jacki Weaver, Liana Liberato

Summary: An introverted teen sparks with his new neighbor, and together the couple begins to explore the haunted house that is family has unknowingly just purchased.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Bad Neighbours and X-Men: Days of Future Past
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »
Thu 22 May, 9:55 am

SFC CINEMA CINEMAS THAILAND

BAD NEIGHBOURS

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore : 68/100

Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron

Summary: A young couple with a newborn baby face unexpected difficulties after they are forced to live next to a fraternity house.

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

Three flavors:  Thai 3D, Thai 2D & English 2D

MetaCritic.com
MetaScore  :  74/100

Starring: Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Patrick Stewart, Peter Dinklage

Summary: The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in an epic battle that must change the past - to save our future. [Twentieth Century Fox]

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
Frank wonders: Has anyone gone to see Godzilla - 3D?[/size]

The Amazing Spiderman 2 3D left a lot to be desired and was not as good as the first.

Thu 22 May 2014, 10:31 am

The 3D in Godzilla was added post-production, which is virtually guaranteed to be awful.  However, I remain unimpressed with even when it is done properly and actually and shot in 3D such as Avatar.

You know, with the advent of Dolby stereo and Panavision (possibly a slightly curved screen and 170 mm Panavision for some films), I think we have got is just about right for this media. We need to wait for an entirely, radically new paradigm (drug induced movies?) before we can improve very much on what we have got.   Movies are still best for telling stories while video games are best for playing games and amusement park attractions are best for immersive experiences.  Movies such as all these comic book movies which try to do all three, end up doing neither very well.[/size]