Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Khon Kaen Forum will be retired 1 March 2021  (Read 574 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Khon Kaen Forum will be retired 1 March 2021
« on: January 21, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
After nearly 20 years of service--initially by the founder, Doug and then by Rex--the Khon Kaen Forum will be retired due to lack of participation and having outlived it's usefulness.

You may continue to stay in touch with us at the Khon Kaen Forum Group on Facebook, 400 members strong now =>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KhonKaenForum

If there is any content you would like to save, please remember to do it prior to the deadline. 

Thank your for your participation and loyalty these many years.

Cheers,

Rex

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Khon Kaen Forum will be retired 1 March 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:00:10 PM »
End of an era but thanks to those that have helped me out along the way.

mac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »
Thank you for the forum. I live in Udon but occasionally used your forum to get local information, etc. It has been an excellent service. I will continue with your FB page.

stevve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 05:21:13 AM »
sorry to see the forum close but can understand why. never posted much but read the posts and some were very helpful.

Mike Flynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 04:17:51 AM »
I have joined only to bid farewell to the many who used to post on the old forum. I have spent my winter months in Khon Kaen for 22 years and remember the city long before the influx of farangs who discovered it this century. In the days when the Number One bar was an exciting new hang out and we had a weekly quiz night organised by John. There was the expats bowling nights at the top of the Tukcom and regular golf tournaments.The days of Erics Bar and Big Duncan and Little Duncan who ran Leo’s.

We had to use internet cafes when they arrived in the early 2000’s because there was no free wifi or internet and what there was used to be painfully slow.In the 1990’s most of the few foreign tourists met were backpackers passing through. The only big hardware store was Global near the airport with limited western stock.

The airport was just a little small single story building when I first arrived and the Pullman was a five star hotel with staff dressed in white uniforms.There were no taxis just hundreds of TukTuks everywhere. Sadly the city has only a few dozen left. Khon Kaen has changed so much over the years.

I have seen so many expats arrive with great expectations and opened new bars and restaurants only to be gone a year later when the dream failed and the cash or wife ran out.Who remembers the Kiwi Bar near the lake or the many other bars around the bung that opened and closed when it all failed. Mickies Pizzas , the Chocolate Bar and Rashers spring to mind.I have lost count of the many business failures around the top end of the lake such as the newspaper, Outlaw Brewery and the dozens who have tried their luck in Pimanchoun 2 running restaurants that all failed.

I have also witnessed many foreigners leave as they got old and infirm and needed medical attention on social security in their home country.

Khon Kaen is a great city and I am lucky to be married to a Thai American. However it is a place to spend money not make money.Most expats either die or run out of money and return home from the city. I can’t think of any expat who has arrived in my twenty one years who has made money and is still here.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
I will never forget the sight of the Thais wearing lederhosen in the German bar at the bottom of the Sofitel  ;D

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:39:14 AM »
I have joined only to bid farewell to the many who used to post on the old forum. I have spent my winter months in Khon Kaen for 22 years and remember the city long before the influx of farangs who discovered it this century. In the days when the Number One bar was an exciting new hang out and we had a weekly quiz night organised by John. There was the expats bowling nights at the top of the Tukcom and regular golf tournaments.The days of Erics Bar and Big Duncan and Little Duncan who ran Leo’s.

We had to use internet cafes when they arrived in the early 2000’s because there was no free wifi or internet and what there was used to be painfully slow.In the 1990’s most of the few foreign tourists met were backpackers passing through. The only big hardware store was Global near the airport with limited western stock.

The airport was just a little small single story building when I first arrived and the Pullman was a five star hotel with staff dressed in white uniforms.There were no taxis just hundreds of TukTuks everywhere. Sadly the city has only a few dozen left. Khon Kaen has changed so much over the years.

I have seen so many expats arrive with great expectations and opened new bars and restaurants only to be gone a year later when the dream failed and the cash or wife ran out.Who remembers the Kiwi Bar near the lake or the many other bars around the bung that opened and closed when it all failed. Mickies Pizzas , the Chocolate Bar and Rashers spring to mind.I have lost count of the many business failures around the top end of the lake such as the newspaper, Outlaw Brewery and the dozens who have tried their luck in Pimanchoun 2 running restaurants that all failed.

I have also witnessed many foreigners leave as they got old and infirm and needed medical attention on social security in their home country.

Khon Kaen is a great city and I am lucky to be married to a Thai American. However it is a place to spend money not make money.Most expats either die or run out of money and return home from the city. I can’t think of any expat who has arrived in my twenty one years who has made money and is still here.

Don't know about the money aspect, but the 2 Duncan's and Terry are still in Khon Kaen.

Trainspotter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »
Before the ship goes down, I'd like to say goodbye to the Khon Kaen Forum.  I have found it to be a great resource and reference guide to the area, and I will miss it.  Thank you Rex for your hard work  -Cheers, Nigel