Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thai ID Card  (Read 553 times)

Kajornsak

• View Profile
Thai ID Card
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »
I got my Thai ID card last week :)

I am the first/only farang to get it in Khon Kaen.

It was a wonderful feeling saying goodbye to immigration yesterday when I cancelled my visa!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Thai ID Card
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »
We need more data.  How did you get a Thai ID card? 

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:17 PM »
Oh, I thought I'd mentioned it before here.

Basically, I waited until I'd had a work permit for 3 years then applied at Special Branch police to become naturalized being married to a Thai, paying the 5000 baht fee. . This was in Dec 2017. National Intelligence Agency, January 2018. Ministry of Interior interview, September 2019.Took oath of allegiance to King and Country, July 2020. Waited for name to be published in Royal Gazette, November 2020. Picked up cert. of naturalization and got ID, Dec 2020.

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:23:10 PM »
Aaaah! Kajornsak aka Neeranam??

Yes, you HAD mentioned it all here before:-
 Visas, et al / Re: Yellow Residence Book? Permanent Residence?

Congratulations on becoming a Thai. I've enjoyed following your naturalisation process on here and, even more, on TV. Bet you're glad it's all over! I was going to say " ... the long wait is over ..." but 3 years from application to completion isn't so bad.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:24:41 PM by martin »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 06:41:15 PM »
Do you retain your original passport and citizenship?

It's interesting.  It doesn't sound that bad if you are organized, thinking ahead and willing to be patient with the process.  I wonder why is is not more widely known and talked about?

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 07:27:27 PM »
There are many bar-stool myths going around that it is impossible, expensive or you have to be fluent in the language.

[ realy don't know why more don't do it, the benefits are great. 

Many try to tell me that Thailand doesn't allow Dual Nationality - Although the Thai Nationality legislation does not specifically allow Dual Nationality, nor does it specifically legislate against it, all it states is that during the year after a Dual Citizen reaches the age of 20 he / she MAY choose to renounce their Thai Citizenship; it is not an obligation and there is no penalty for not doing so.
Most Dual Citizens simply do nothing and continue to hold Dual Nationality.
You can also be confident that there is virtually NO chance of Dual Citizenship ever being legislated against in Thailand. Literally thousands of Thais hold Dual Citizenship - many of them in positions of power or influence - and they want the status quo to continue.
Full details on how to get it are posted on this very good website.
https://www.thaicitizenship.com/acquring-thai-citizenship/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:30:17 PM by Kajornsak »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:51 PM »
It is probably not not necessary to ask this question, but just to be clear.  This is full Thai citizenship, not some special class?  In other words, you can own property in your name with a 100% stake?  You don't need a work permit and can work for any employer willing to hire you?  You can inherit property?  Transfer or leave your property to whomever you wish.  Can exit and enter Thailand would restrictions or special documents (except for any visa you might require to enter another country)? Can vote in elections?

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 02:37:06 PM »
I believe most countries don't have classes of citizenship apart from by birth or by naturalization.
By naturalization, there are some things that are not allowed. For me, the only thing is that I can't be a member of parliament, which doesn't bother me.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »
Kajornsak for Parliament!