Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thais (now US citizen) RETURNING TO Thailand....  (Read 447 times)

Zaphod

• View Profile
Thais (now US citizen) RETURNING TO Thailand....
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »
Couldn't find any info in any threads on this...so here goes....

It's about time for me and my wife to come back to KK until "the end".

My KK wife, who has been a US Citizen since 2007 (and has not renewed her Thai passport since it expired), is feeding me info that it wouldn't be easy for her to either get her Thai passport renewed here in the US, and come to Thailand as a "Thai citizen" since the Thai governement can reference that she is now a US Citizen - even though we've never told anyone in the Thai goverment that she is a US Citizen.....

She is also saying that if we came back as US Citizens, she would have to change her name OR give up her US Citizenship in order to get a Thai passport again.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone with experience - or general thoughts - on them and their US Citizen Thai spouse returning to Thailand to live out their days....you can DM me if you want, or just post it below in this thread.

Thanks!!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Thais (now US citizen) RETURNING TO Thailand....
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 09:01:10 PM »
 Zaphod, you might also try posting this on the Khon Kaen Forum facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KhonKaenForum/

We hope the "end" will be a considerably long ways down the road for your guys (and the rest of us!)

Zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:10:57 PM »
Thanks Rex. Join request to the FB group sent.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »
Does she have her Thai National ID?  Does she still have her expired Thai passport with whatever type of US visa in it?  Does she now have a US Passport?
To me, the safest approach to finding out how to resolve this issue, contact one of the Thai Consulates in the US (not the Thai embassy.)  Since the Honorary Consulates usually have a US citizen as the Consul General and a good administrative assistant to support the process of visas, passports, etc., that is the person who you should contact.

I had a great administrative assistant in the Atlanta location, who never questioned anything I needed, she just did it.  Don't know if she is still there.  It has been a few years ago.

Here is the url:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=1WAVX5GNOdrZz7sPqZi-0AU&q=thailand+consulate+atlanta+ga&oq=thai+consulate+in+atlanta+ga&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgYIABAWEB46CAgAELEDEIMBOgIIADoFCAAQsQM6CAguELEDEIMBOgUILhCxAzoCCC46CAguEMcBEK8BOgsILhDHARCvARCTAlCEDlj5SWC_XGgAcAB4AIABoQGIAbIYkgEFMTMuMTWYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

stevve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »
I done a google and the indications are that she can not loose her Thai nationality so just apply for a passport and see what happens.

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
Your wife might be basing her fears on Thai laws that have been revoked since she last lived here full-time - maybe 20 years ago? Many Thais have dual nationality these days and continue to live their lives in Thailand quite normally. Many Thai women take the foreign names of their husbands and can still perform every task in their daily lives, including the purchase of land and property, using those foreign names.

The subject of Thais entering the country on an expired passport has cropped-up a couple of times in discussions on TVF recently and the advice from 'those who know' is that Thais are never prevented from entering the country if their passport has expired. Can't see any problems renewing in a foreign country, though.

As 'stevve' said, she can't have her Thai nationality taken away from her - she can voluntarily give it up but nobody can take it from her if she doesn't consent. Even those foreigners naturalised as Thai only have to 'say' that they 'intend' to give up their foreign nationality on becoming Thai - they don't actually have to do it and I suspect most of those naturalised wouldn't consider giving up their other nationality or taking Thai nationality if they might be forced to give up another.

Just go to the nearest location at which a Thai passport can be renewed in USA and get it done.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Makes me kind of wish I was a Thai spouse with dual citizenship.  roll 

Just thinking out loud.  Worst case scenario, if for some reason wifey's expired passport presents a problem, why can't she just renew it?