Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: COVID-19 Insurance  (Read 224 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
COVID-19 Insurance
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »
I know it may be a long shot, but . . .

A few days ago, I posted information about various insurance policies from 9 or 10 companies that would provide coverage if one caught the virus and had to go to the hospital.  A few would just write you a check for the coverage amount.  Some are Thai only, but SCB provide anyone coverage.  Most of the plans cover an individual up to 99 years old.

The initial offering of some would start immediately, but that offer expired Thursday, 19 March.  Now once you sign up, the policy becomes effective in 7 or 14 days.

So, we opted for the SCB Covid-19 Plus, which provide a payout of 100,000 baht, if hospitalized.  The premium cost, 520 Baht for 1 year.  I hope I never get to use it or the one for my wife, but for the premium amount well worth it.

Windy

• View Profile
Re: COVID-19 Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »
Can you get this at any SCB branch?
Did they ask about any pre existing health conditions?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
Windy, don't know.  My wife went to the main branch in downtown.  But she said you should be able to go to any branch.  Beginning this past Friday, once you apply, your policy does not become effective for 14 days.  So, from a pre-existing condition, the only one would be that during the period of 14 days you get the virus, you get a refund of your premium, that is all.

I had to join her so they could see me in person.  [/size]Also as proof of who I am, I needed my passport, my pink card, my Thai driver's license and my yellow book to show them I was a long term 'resident.'
We were lucky in that we got in under the wire for immediate coverage.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
Thanks Frank

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
Tks Frank.  Is it only for SCB customers?

It's a good deal for the insurance companies. Even in the worst case scenario, only a very small percentage of the population will get it. Although, I guess profitability depends on having a large number of people in the pool.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
Most places have now stopped the 100,000 payout on diagnosis for new policies.

My wife's friend at Krungsi bank says they have stopped taking covid insurance until they get another insurer. Don't know how true this is.

Roojai, the car insurance people have now started Covid insurance. I have just signed up for 6 insurance policies for my family. All done online in about 30 minutes.
However I can't get one for myself, as like most places, they don't except anyone with any chronic disease.