Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Faded Ink on Visa extension  (Read 277 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
Faded Ink on Visa extension
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
My passport got wet for 30 minutes (before I noticed). Papers didn't disintgrate so that's the good news. However, the ink faded on my current Visa Extension Stamp. the stamp itself is not readable. What is visible - the date it was renewed is clear, the valid until date (can read the month and year - Nov 2020, can see where the official initialed and wrote, (number of the extension). I don't have a copy of the stamp unfortunately. Will be going to immigration to see what they want to do. Anybody have this type of thing happen to them? What happened at immigration?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Faded Ink on Visa extension
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Sorry, I don't have personal experience with a defaced passport. However, wouldn't it be treated the same as when you get a new passport? 

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »
Rex:Thanks ... I didn't even think about that I will need a replacement passport. The data page seems normal (no damage to photo or data) but the passport pages will be curly from water that dries out, not to mention faded and runny ink look, as well as bleed through.

How does immigration transfer data to a new passport? Do they just copy the info from the old passport or do they look up the data in their books? As I said the data in my passport is hard to read.

This comes from the State Dept Travel Website:
  • "If your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for a new passport.  Damage that might require you to replace your passport includes water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch, or other injuries.
  • Normal "wear and tear" of a U.S. passport is expected and likely does not count as "damage."  For instance normal wear includes the bend of a passport after being carried in your back pocket or fanning of the visa pages after extensive opening and closing."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:31:46 PM by avvocato »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
If I remember correctly, if you request it, Embassy give you a letter for Imm. advising them it is a new passport and to be helpful, or something like that. Have no idea if it is necessary or helps at all. Imm stamped the first page of my new passport with a from which they filled in the details of my visa status.  That was all.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
What about the receipt you received when you renewed your visa extension?  That should provide the evidence you need for them to verify and re-stamp your passport.