Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Police Security Check  (Read 1199 times)

Reuben

• View Profile
Police Security Check
« on: January 08, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »

Yesterday I was visited by the Ban Phai Police at the request of Thai Immigration.  The purpose of the visit was to check into the well being of Americans living in Ban Phai and providing information to be aware of our surroundings in view of the American/Iran situation.  Must be some real concern on some ones part if they are checking in person.  There were four others on his list that he could not locate and wanted to know if I knew them.  I did not.

An hour later I received a security alert via e-mail from the embassy in Bangkok regarding the same matter.

I find in funny that Trump is on TV telling the world his actions made me safer, but then his State Department is letting me to be vigilant.

Has anyone else received such a visit?

Henry

• View Profile
Re: Police Security Check
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »

I got a visit on Monday also. They said the US Embassy just wanted to know how the Americans were doing. Nothing mentioned about security.

The two cops were nice guys, but it pissed me off a bit. The US government intrudes enough on my life without following me halfway round the world.

They said there were 12 other Yanks in this area and asked if I knew any of them. I said I didn't know  there were any others here. I guess we all like our privacy.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »
Came to my house Tuesday but I was not home. Came back today, Wednesday, and it was very casual. Did take a photo of me and my passport.

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »
Have an appointment for the local police to visit me tomorrow morning.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »
Savannah, maybe they will send a copy of the photo back to the US Embassy assuring them that you are safe!  555

Wonder when they will come down to my area, Lao Nadi Road west.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »
They took my photo as well with the officer and the address plate on my gate.  They showed me a A4 size paper full of names, but only 5 names were highlighted in yellow which were all in my area.  Interesting that they check on some but not others.

Trainspotter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
I am a local volunteer for the US Embassy, so I informed Embassy staff that Khon Kaen police are visiting Americans for welfare and whereabouts checks, while purporting to be sent by the Embassy and Immigration officials.

To clarify, the Embassy is NOT aware of this practice, nor do they generally send a police officer to American citizens, except in extreme circumstances.

In the future, if you are visited by the police, the Embassy requests that you ask for the following:
  • the names of the police officers (official names, NOT nicknames);
  • the name of the US Embassy official requesting the visit.
You may also inform the police officials that you will contact the Embassy/American Citizen Services Unit to report their visit to your home (tel: 02-205-4000).

Cheers, TS

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »

Trainspotter,

Thanks for the clarification. Just seems odd they would ask for information they already have access to. Any idea what they're up to?

Also, what services do Embassy volunteers provide?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
Not just in this situation, asking for information they already have is what they do. It is an enormous waste of time, labor and paper!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
I doubt if Thailand has a Privacy Act so they can ask almost any type of question.  Even if they did have one, the police could circumvent it.

When you go to Immigration, what do you see?  Many administrative assistants and tons of paper being filed.  If you don't like to use their online services, which doesn't work all the time, why can't you just go in with your passport and proof of where you live to do the 90-Day report or the Form TM 28 or the Form TM 30?  They already have all the information at their fingertips, their computer system.  It really is a make-work operation.

What about when there is money exchanged (not the tea type), like a Re-entry permit?  Paper application with a pasted on passport sized picture.  All the information is on the computer system, AND they take your picture electronically.  So, why do they have to use a manual ledger to allocate a visa number plus preparing a written receipt?  Getting the stamp in your passport and going on the computer system to allocate the visa number, should be sufficient.  But it seems they need more paper to file.

Funny, if you get a ticket, you go to the police station, bring the ticket and your driver's license, pay the fine, get a receipt, and be on your way, pretty efficient.  Even better when renewing your vehicle registration, the drive-up window, no paper application.  Your receipt is your new sticker.

Immigration police just haven't figured it out.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
It is one way to keep unemployment down and avoid the need for welfare.  Sigh!

Trainspotter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »

@ Henry:
I have no idea what the police are up to, but they are not visiting Americans by request of the US Embassy.  I agree, it does seem odd.  Perhaps a couple of officers were put on some pointless, menial duty as a form of punishment?  Well never know.  By the way, always check and record police identification if they come to your house, especially if they arrive via unmarked motorcycles or vehicles.  It's good practice to have documentation of an official visit, for any reason.

To answer your second question about Embassy volunteer services, thanks for prompting me.  Ill start a new thread on that. 
Cheers, TS
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:12:11 PM by Trainspotter »

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 03:15:29 PM »
Just for the record the policeman that visited me did not say he was sent by the American Embassy, but said he was doing so on behalf of Thai Immigration.  That might be why the American Embassy has no idea as to these visits.  Have there been any further visits other that the few mention in this thread?

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »

Another question is, why would immigration be checking up on just Americans?

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »
Not only in KK, it seems:-

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1142444-immigration-wanting-photos-and-passports-of-all-americans-in-prachuapkirikan/#comments