Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Official Dress Code Coming to KK Immigration?  (Read 1650 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Official Dress Code Coming to KK Immigration?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »
So, if a Thai applies for a visa, for example, to the US or Australia, or other Western country, and that Thai (usually a woman) comes to the interview portion of the application process dressed in flip flops, shorts, and a tank top, or similar dress, what are his/her chances of getting a visa?  I would bet, NONE!

Russell, it sounds like you thought I was degrading you.  I wasn't.  From your Australian culture, you were 'formally dressed' when you wore tailored shorts with long socks, and a polo shirt.  So, what you are saying, if a senior representative from Australian military or a senior official from a government office came to visit Thailand in the heat of the summer, that is how they would dress, no business suits or dress uniforms with slacks, but tailored shorts, long socks and a polo shirt.  Would never happen with anyone coming from the US, and I doubt even from a European country or the UK.

So, the next time I visit Khon Kaen Immigration and wear slacks, a collared shirt, socks and shoes, I'll be overdressed?  Could care less.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
No Frank, not formally dressed but respectably dressed. These are 2 different things. To be formally dressed is for a civilian to wear a collar and tie with a suit and a military person to wear a dress uniform but to be respectably dressed is for a civilian to wear neat casual clothes whether they are slacks or tailored shorts it is the same and for a military person they would wear the dress rig of the day which would include wearing shorts if in a tropical country like Thailand. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:01:36 PM by russell17au »

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
Here are the results from a survey done in Australia on work place dress codes.  (I realize this is domestic types of activities not going to a foreign country.)

Dress codes were defined as:

• Formal business (e.g. business suit and tie for men; business suit or business style dress for women)
  • Smart casual (e.g. sports jacket with chinos or nice jeans for men; nice slacks, skirt or dark jeans with a collared or dressy top for women)
  • Business casual (e.g. pressed khakis or chinos with a polo or collared shirt for men; dress pants with a fashionable top for women)
  • Casual / Informal (e.g. t-shirt and jeans)
  • Uniform
  • Other
In Australia, the most common workplace dress code is the uniform. This isnít entirely surprising given that the industries where uniforms are most commonly worn, trades and services, retail, hospitality, healthcare and medical and sales, account for the largest proportion of Australiaís work force.

Smart casual attire was the second most common, smart and business casual third, casual / informal clothing was fourth and formal business attire last.

No where did I see dress shorts in any of the categories of work place attire unless it is part of a uniform like the military.  So, I guess nattily dressed in dress shorts, long socks, and a polo shirt must be acceptable.

For me, I'll still wear nice slacks, collared and buttoned shirt, real socks and shoes, and now maybe I might wear a sports coat!  Just joking!  Or maybe I am not, time will only tell.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:05:44 PM by fceligoj »

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »
You should really do more homework on things Frank before you try to prove that you are a better class of person than others because it is clear to see that you think you know everything when in fact you do not. For your information both Khaki's and Chino's come in long pants and shorts. Goodbye Mr upper class. hahahahahaha

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »
Russell, not sure why the argument, I was a business professional for about 40 years and worked with civilian and government personnel/customers both in the US and many foreign countries.  So, if that is what you call a "know it all", I guess that is your opinion.

The point of this thread is the possible dress code for foreign visitors in Thailand, not how you dressed in your country.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:21 PM »

"[font=&amp][/font]
[font=&amp]The point of this thread is the possible dress code for foreign visitors in Thailand, not how you dressed in your country."[/font]
[font=&amp][/size][/font]
[font=&amp][/font]
[font=&amp]Exactly, and the circumstances.[/font]
[font=&amp]Flip-flops, cheap shorts and a vest is absolutely fine for hanging around a village but not for going to immig for a vitally important visa.[/font]
[font=&amp][/font]

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
My dress flip flops that I wear to immigration cost me about 2,000 baht  ;D

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »

They won't know that. Unless you leave the price tag on...
It's how you appear that is important.

Surfer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 09:26:58 AM »
This notice was posted at Bangkok office recently. Sorry for the picture quality. It was taken from Thai Visa.
dress-code" border="0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:30:38 AM by Surfer »

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 12:18:45 AM »
Personally, I think long socks with shorts is inappropriate. Unless your under 10 years old.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:20:40 AM by kowpot »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 01:28:29 AM »
Yes, like socks and sandals.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
Went to Immigration to submit the 90-Day Report and get a Re-entry permit.  Did it just after 3:30.  There was no one in Immigration waiting, but the number on the board identifying the customer being served was 60.  My number was 77!  Where were the 16 people ahead of me?  It took me 15 minutes to finally get Desk #1 I/O to recognize that no one else was there (yes, three people walked in after me.)

Saw that we have a new supervisor sitting in the office, a younger officer replaced the woman officer.  No one in the office went into his office and no paperwork was provided to him to review and approve.  He was just sitting there with ear plugs in listening to music?!  So, now I would expect a whole new process for getting your Extensions.