Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Official Dress Code Coming to KK Immigration?  (Read 1673 times)

martin

• View Profile
Official Dress Code Coming to KK Immigration?
« on: December 26, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
I got my new marriage extension of stay on Christmas Day. KK Immi. was surprisingly busy.

When our business was done, three of the IOs gathered around my wife and I and instructed one of the girls to take some photos. There was a lot of chatter between them and my wife which was too rapid for me to follow.

Anyway, in the car I asked "What was that all about?". Jin said that they took the photos because I was 'correctly dressed' unlike (they said) others there that day - even though I was wearing a silly Christmas hat.

Nothing like this has ever happened in 11 years of using KK Immi. I was dressed in exactly the same way I always dress there.

Since other offices (Phuket, Pattaya area? ... can't remember) have been reported on TVF as having banned shorts, T-shirts and 'inappropriate, disrespectful clothing', it made me wonder whether KK office might be going down a similar road.

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Official Dress Code Coming to KK Immigration?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
I hope so!  I

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
Why?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
Seems common sense to me but, there again, I don't wear flip-flops and a vest on a plane either.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
Would you go to a government office in your own country to ask them for something you really needed if you were wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops?

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Would you go to a government office in your own country to ask them for something you really needed if you were wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops?

Haven't been to a UK government office since I-don't-know-when but I seem to remember that very casual clothing was the norm. Shorts/flip-flops aren't generally part of the British uniform  so wouldn't be likely but jeans/jogging bottoms, trainers, T-shirts, even a string-vest if you're name's Rab. C. Nesbitt  ... certainly you'd see them. Working clothes too.

But I started this thread because I thought it good that there might be a crackdown, not to discuss clothing. General consensus so far seems to be that it's a good and overdue move, with which I agree.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
But why do you think it is good that there is a crack down?  What is it that benefits you about a crack down?  What is it that benefits anyone about a crack down?  Where and what exactly is the benefit to this?

It hardly matters what I or you would choose to wear. It doesn't matter what I happen to think or not think about what other people are wearing at the immigration office.  It doesn't matter what "common sense" dictates in order to "go-along-to-get-along" and get something you want.    The question I was raising is do your really enjoy the experience of being governed so much that you want the government telling you how you must or must not dress? The question is even more relevant as the encroaching nanny state finds new and better ways to encroach.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
Are you playing devil's advocate Rex?  It's common courtesy to dress respectfully.  The immigration officer  can make it easy or difficult for you as we all know.  Why give them another reason to be awkward. Then you can put your shirt and long trousers away for another year if you want.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »
If he is not playing devil's advocate, I sure have to scratch my head, as they say, trying to figure out from where he is coming.

When I was employed in the aerospace/defense business or when I worked for IBM, YOU NEVER WENT TO SEE A CUSTOMER IN CASUAL CLOTHES LET ALONE SHORTS/FLIP-FLOPS/T-SHIRT or even dungarees and a sports shirt with tennis shoes.  YOU NEVER WENT TO THE OFFICE WHEN THERE WERE NO APPOINTMENTS IN CASUAL CLOTHES.  I can almost guarantee that business attire is still the norm.  Business attire was required if you went on a military base or to the Pentagon (they all wore business suits or military uniforms unless they were in a 'bag' ready to fly an exercise.)

I also remember when USAir did not allow passengers (especially women) wearing short shorts to board an aircraft.  They were stopped at the check-in counter and told to go change and dress appropriately.

I think it is very degrading for a citizen of a foreign country going to any government office in a country where he/she is a visitor.  AND WE ARE VISITORS HERE.  Like they say, if you don't like it, leave.  No one is holding you back.  (I'll bet when Russell went to the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet to get his Non-Imm Type "O", he was dressed appropriately.)

Another example, look at all the Temples here in Thailand, a majority of them require women to wear long skirts and sedate tops and men to wear slacks.

But each to his own, so don't get in a tizzy if the Immigration asks you to leave and get dressed appropriately, which we are starting to see throughout Thailand.

To me, all the above is to show respect.  It is like when people come to visit you in your home, they take off their shoes at the door and vice versa.  That is unless you are low class.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 12:50:27 AM »
You gentlemen are not reading my words.

As a practical matter, I agree with nearly everything you have said.  Most of your points are excellent and ones that people would be well-advised to pay attention to. I think I am a little bit smarter and have more respect for my own self-preservation than to deliberately antagonize anyone in the government. And I think I made that clear.

That is not the point, as I also made more than clear in my post that you guys are reacting to.

You are not reading my words. Everything you said is fine as a choice. The government telling you how to dress is something else.  What next?  Are they going to compel you to  make a report every time you leave the province and return home?  When the government tells you what to do, that is backed up by the threat of imprisonment, and ultimately of lethal force if you fail to comply.  Of course, that rarely happens, but it could, and it would if you chose to press the point.

As for "respect" I can see that as a practical tactic. Anyone with half-a-brain would. However, it might be offered more genuinely if it were mutual.

Sorry, I just don't see the government, any government through the same rose-colored glasses  as you guys apparently do; as some kind of benign father figure  looking out for my best interests.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
Ok, the question now is "what is appropriate dress"? Does it mean that I must wear a collar and tie and a 3 piece suit in 38 degree temperature? Does it mean that I can wear dress shorts and long socks with a respectable polo shirt? Frank, you brought my name into this and what I wore at Savannakhet was dress shorts with long socks and shoes and a purple polo shirt (the polo shirt was a shirt that was sold by Thailand to celebrate the birthday of Princess Sirindhorn) I believe that I was respectably dressed for the climate and the situation. There were people there that did wear tank tops and singlets and flip flops.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04:23 PM »
Frank, When I was in the Royal Australian Navy part of our uniform was shorts for our tropical uniform the same as the Royal Australian Air Force, even the Australian Police forces have shorts as part of their summer uniform plus many office workers in both private and government offices wear tailored shorts in summer as do the Australian Immigration officers as part of their uniforms. That does not make them any lower class person than anyone else. You do not have to wear a suit with a collar and tie to be respectably dressed. Thailand is a country located in the tropical zone in the world.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »

Personally, I would be quite happy if the sort of people who turn up at immig dressed in flip-flops and vest and show no respect get kicked out the country.

This all reminds me of the (semi) joke about a job interview.

"Tell us one of your weaknesses"
"Honesty"
"We don't think honesty is a weakness"
"I couldn't give a $hit what you think"

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
Well, screamer, what do you classify as respectfully dressed?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
Not flip-flops and a vest.
Put some shorts on at least.....