Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Khon Kaen-Vientiane bus?  (Read 193 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Khon Kaen-Vientiane bus?
« on: September 19, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »
Many moons ago, there used to be a direct Khon Kaen-Lao bus that would take you all the way to Vientiane, presuming that you already had a Lao visa in hand.

Still running?  Any updates?  Anyone use it recently?

Baring that, the best way to get Khon Kaen-Vientiane?

Tks, lah!

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Khon Kaen-Vientiane bus?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:18:51 PM »
Yes, it is still running, but you need your Lao Visa in hand before they will sell you a ticket. Seems to me it leaves around 0815 from Bus Station 3, 180 baht.  Takes 4 hours.

You need to check the return, mid-afternoon.  The last time we went the Vientiane route, the passport was ready too late the next day.  So we had to wait another day and take the AM bus.

I think you need to confirm the bus schedule at Bus Station #3.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »
The only problem with the bus to Vientiane is its time going to Vientiane. It leaves at 8:15 in the morning and arrives around 12:15 to 12:30 which is too late to lodge your papers. There is another way and that is by train from Khon Kaen at 5:22 to NongKhai 7:55 then you have 4 hours to cross the border and get to the embassy and the return the next day if you miss the bus back the train leaves Nong Khai express train 6:30pm and arrives at Khon Kaen at 8:30pm. Unfortunately there is no train out to Savannakhet direction but the international bus runs every hour from 7:30 in the morning in both directions. That's about the best I can give you, hope everything works for you.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »
Tks Russell.  Very helpful.