Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thai Ministry of Health brings in tiered pricing for medical services to foreign  (Read 1565 times)

TerryLH

• View Profile
Thanks.
Terry

kkbill

• View Profile
I went to Srinagarind on Fri 25 Oct for my 90  check up post hip replacement. 1st I went to X-ray for four shots ( 1106thb incl 50 baht for the nurse). This was just about the same price as the last time I had X-rays done. After finally seeing the Dr I was off to the main cashier who looked at the slip I gave her and told me there was no charge (last visit 8wks ago it was 50 baht).

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
How is the hip doing, Bill?

kkbill

• View Profile
Hip1 (right) now at 10 months feels natural. Hip2 (left) at 4 months - no pain, can walk up to 2km but still not completly settled in - feels like there is something foreign in my body - this sensation mostly in the morning. Hip 2 recovery is going faster than Hip1 but it has been a long year. Between the hip replacements there was also a spinal op on L4-L5. All done as self insured i.e. my cash.

screamer

• View Profile
Kkbill
Can I ask what you had done to L4/5 and how the post-op has been?

kkbill

• View Profile
Screamer - From what I understood from the Dr he moved/manipulated.adjusted tendons in that area of the spine. The Op was under general antithesis and took around 2 hrs. Frankly I cannot recall the pain I was having in that area but it is gone now. Later today I'll post the Dr's name. Cost was around $US 3,700 for the Fast Track service. Had I chosen to wait/get in line for the regular surgery schedule it would have been much less but the wait would be several months.

screamer

• View Profile
Screamer - From what I understood from the Dr he moved/manipulated.adjusted tendons in that area of the spine. The Op was under general antithesis and took around 2 hrs. Frankly I cannot recall the pain I was having in that area but it is gone now. Later today I'll post the Dr's name. Cost was around $US 3,700 for the Fast Track service. Had I chosen to wait/get in line for the regular surgery schedule it would have been much less but the wait would be several months.

Thanks KKB,

Never heard of tendons being moved. One to look into!

kkbill

• View Profile
Further follow up on Srnagarind pricing - went today ( 5 Nov) for a 90 day followup on another ailment,
Fee was the same as before:Nurse 50Doctor 300Meds 1207  (3 mo supply of 2 meds  - a bit lower in price than buying them at my fav discount pharmacy .

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Thanks for the update,Bill.  Hasn't one of the gov horsepitals in KKC been imposing tiered pricing for the greasy, nasty falang (So hard to clean!) for several years now?  Terry?

TerryLH

• View Profile
In late 07 or early 08 I checked at Srinagarinds after hours clinic about getting surgery on my knee.
A young doctor gleefully told me that they could do the surgery, but it would be 50% (I think 50) more for a foreigner to have the surgery done at that clinic.

The waiting time was very short compared the the wait at the regular hospital clinic.

I opted to have the surgery at another government hospital.

Since then I've been using Srinagarind for almost everything with no problems.

Terry

Realist

• View Profile
Khon Kaen General Hospital, Srichan Road, charged me the same price as last year for an x-ray last Friday (220 baht) and doctors fee (50 baht).
I then had to book a CAT scan for next year, and price was also the same as last year (6,500 baht, inclusive).

Windy

• View Profile
I went to Queen Sirikit Heart center Thursday for my 3 monthly check and the cost for blood tests and medication was the same as it has been for the last 2 years.

Sunset from my bedroom window

russell17au

• View Profile
I think the actual notice from the Ministry of Public Health was that the individual government hospitals were allowed to charge the tiered prices if they wanted to but they were not forced to charge them, it was the hospitals choice.

avvocato

• View Profile
Exactly Rex. We'll be checking with the teacher's association to see what is covered - everything or up to the Thai price (farang responsible for balance) or Worst Case, no coverage.
I know there are some others in this same boat.
Thanks for this, avvocato.
I'm one of those in the same boat (albeit my wife's now retired) and was considering asking exactly the same question of the Teachers' Association. However, I'll look out for your future reports on this matter instead.
I hope that, at the very least "up to Thai price" would be covered but it often doesn't pay to get your hopes up here.
Martin, I had a surgery done at Srinagarind last week. The cost was picked up by the Teacher's Group as per usual. Nothing changed from the prior years. Obviously Srinigarind is not charging tiered pricing. Costs they do not pick up are items like premium room surcharge or the "western" food option costs, some (optional) equipments, that kind of stuff.