Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thai Ministry of Health brings in tiered pricing for medical services to foreign  (Read 170 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
Reporter puts a positive spin on this. I'm not too sure. As a spouse I am covered by my wife's teacher association medical. Perhaps no longer. I guess the onslaught versus farangs and retirees will never end.
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/09/04/foreigners-tiered-medical-health-service-charges-thai-public-hospitals-new-law/

avvocato

• View Profile
Just as a follow up to this post, the Public Health Ministry has published the list of prices to be charged by Thailand"s Public Hosptals after September 30 ...       as issued the Public Hospital Pricing for year starting 1 October 2019.
announcement:https://www.matichon.co.th/news-monitor/news_1649256
List of prices including the tiered structure for foreigners: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2562/E/218/T_0004.PDF
It looks like retirement / marriage visa extension holders (Type O visa). will pay up to double for tests and procedures, but not all procedures/tests.
For example (because of my health situation), the cost to me for a chest CT will be 12,000 baht, whereas Thais pay 6,000 baht (see page 145 of the PDF).  100% higher.
Also a Laparoscopic cholecystectomy  (removal of gallbladder) would cost me 15,750 baht compared to Thais who would be charged 10,500 baht  50% higher.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:46:46 PM by avvocato »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Nasty, greasy foreigners are much harder to treat because cleaning them before hand is so much more labor intensive! roll
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:07:49 AM by Rex (Admin) »

TerryLH

• View Profile
"For example (because of my health situation), the cost to me for a chest CT will be 12,000 baht..."

This seems to be a non issue for you if you are covered by your wife's insurance.

Terry

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum

As an aggregate, wifey's health insurance premiums will increase if the insurance company has to pay out double to treat nasty, greasy falang to the extent that it affects their bottom line.  Just because insurance picks up the tab, treatment is not "free."  Nothing is "free."  Somebody or somebodies somewhere along the line are paying the tab.

Personally, I don't care very much. I am OK with paying a reasonable surcharge for being a nasty, greasy falang. It is not unprecedented. In the U.S., university tuition is more expensive for those who are not residents of the state where the university is located, and even more costly for greasy, nasty foreigners.

If that neutralizes one avenue of accusations toward the nasty, greasy falang, it will be worth it. The culture often seems not to value expertise, efficiency, rationality, logic or elementary safety. But money does seem to garner some modicum of respect.

screamer

• View Profile
Compulsory insurance shelved: Ministry don't t want to spook tourists at sensitive time

A representative of the Thai Ministry for Tourism and Sports has told the Thai media that plans to make visitors to Thailand take out insurance have been put on the back burner.

Chote Trachu told Bangkok Biz News that ministerial proposals made in May of this year would have to wait until 2020 or at a "more appropriate time in the future".

Read more on ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/34RQqFU
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:29:49 PM by Rex (Admin) »

avvocato

• View Profile
Exactly Rex. We'll be checking with the teacher's association to see what is covered - everything or up to the Thai price (farang responsible for balance) or Worst Case, no coverage.
I know there are some others in this same boat.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
I hope it does not affect your coverage. I hope "they" it is quite a trick to try to have it both ways; demand that falang have coverage and then make it more difficult to get or pay for that coverage.