Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thailand bank letter confirming international deposits.  (Read 191 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Thailand bank letter confirming international deposits.
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:05:32 PM »
Is anyone clear about exactly what wording Imm would like in the bank letter?  Is the bank supposed to list the all foreign transfers over the previous year or what?

Anything else the letter is supposed to say?

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Thailand bank letter confirming international deposits.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »
All immigration wants to see is a 1-year bank account statement.  When you go to the Bangkok Bank, they will tell you, most likely, that to get a 1-year bank account statement, they need 5 business days to provide it.  So, if you go in on a Tuesday, you will get it back on the next Tuesday, if there are no holidays in between.  There is no requirement for a letter.  Anyway, when I asked for a letter they just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders.  By the way, I went to the branch at Central Plaza, much nicer employees there than at the main branch.

For example, I went into the bank on the 20th and picked up the statement on the 27th.  If August is the month for you to apply for your extension, then you have to MUST have transactions in September, 2018 through August, 2019 that meet the minimum required; i.e., for a retirement extension[/size] [/size]65,000 baht each month.To provide you with how the statement looks, I am providing you the 1st page.  The bank provided 5 pages, all with a different period of the days in the statement, but the total of days from Sept, 2018 to August 19, 2019 were included (all transactions, deposits, withdrawal, service charges, etc.)  Immigration suggested that one should highlight the foreign transactions so they are easier to spot in the statement.They also prefer that you provide a mini-spread sheet showing each month, September thru August amounts.  If more than one deposit in a month, then present all those deposits and the total for the month.  (I provided an example in a previous thread.  I also attached it to this thread.)  It can be hand-written.I think with this information you can figure out what you should get and what is expected.  By the way, the 1-year statement cost 200 baht.You do provide them with the most current copy of your bank book which should show some transaction on the day (or the day before) you go to immigration.  (I got my bank book updated the day I went in to get my statement, because by then the statement is no longer current.)

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
I guess I attached the 1st page of the statement right over the spread sheet example.  So, here is the example of the mini-spread sheet.

The supervisor suggested the title, "My Income".  I did not.  Her hand-written copy went back to the I/O on top of the bank statement.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
Thanks, Frank.  I have this idea of a letter from the bank rattling around in my head. It indeed may not be required, which is a relief, but I am sure I didn't imagine it.

Does anybody else now what I am referring to?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
I remember it too, but I think it had to do with something else where the bank would issue a letter.  It wasn't to be a cover letter to a statement.  This is the first statement I have ever requested.

Also, I think people have said "a letter" when they really meant a 1-year bank statement.  It is sort of a letter.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
Just received my monthly transfer of funds by Transferwise into Bangkok Bank and this months transfer shows as an International Transfer.  I did not phone them and request any thing special.  However, I did note that then I was setting up this months transfer that they had added a new option regarding the reason why I was requesting the transfer.  Before I always stated the reason was for monthly expenses, but they now offer the answer to meet immigration requirement.  Maybe they have been listening to us after all.  It was the last option on the list of reasons for the transfer. 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
Thanks Ruben. We are not certain, but based on discussions over at ThaiVisa.com, it is possible that this is a new option added by TW to accommodate the many requests from expats in Thailand. In any event, I never saw it until I read about it on ThaiVisa last month.  I never noticed it on the list of options when making a transfer, but it is possible that I just stopped at "monthly expenses" and never bothered to read all the way down to the bottom of the list of options.

Thanks, lah!

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:59:59 PM »
Do you still have to go through the rigmarole of letting TW know per transfer which bank you want the transfer to be sent to, or is it automatically sent to Bangkok Bank?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
LungBing, I am not sure what happens if your bank account is NOT with Bangkok Bank.  If it is and that is the bank where you are transferring funds to your savings account AND if you have contacted TransferWise through their Help Center either by telephone or email, requesting the "tag" be put into your profile requesting the transfers be routed through Bangkok Bank, AND they confirm (they do make sure they give themselves an out if a transfer happens through one of the other 2 banks because of situations beyond their control), you should be set to go.

I did my last transfer without contacting them and all was done correctly.

PS.  One of the transfers I had during the last 12 months came through as a SMART transfer.  The Imm Supervisor caught it immediately and ask me what was the meaning of SMART transfer.  I explained it but she still responded that the transfers had to be designated as 'international' transfer to count.  Of course, I make 2 transfers a month both exceeding 65K baht, so I was good!