Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Bangkok Immigration Office on Submitting Form TM30  (Read 975 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Bangkok Immigration Office on Submitting Form TM30
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:56:44 AM »
Thailand blogger Richard Barrow posted on his blog today what he learned last night at a meeting he attended which had BKK immigration officials announcing how they would be enforcing Article 38 TM30.

Well worth reasing blog below

http://bit.ly/2Z0Wyvq
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:38:49 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Bangkok Immigration Office on Submitting Form TM30
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
Tks, Frank.  There is a lengthy discussion about this on ThaiVisa => http://bit.ly/2YWpEfC

Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay
Popular Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow has posted about experiencing difficulties in trying to renew his extension of stay.

On Friday, Richard returned to Samut Prakan immigration where he expected to collect his newly approved extension.
However, unexpectedly, he was told that Bangkok hadnít yet approved his application ...  http://bit.ly/2YWpEfC

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:36:19 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
Aside from the inconvenience and the draconian nature of the TM30 requirement, it is stupid!

Scenario Number One: A crew of noogoodniks. They each have a legal residence at various locations in Thailand for which they dutifully file a 90 Day Report. They move freely about Thailand doing their sinister deeds, staying at each others homes and will and never filing a TM30. These guys will never be caught except by accident or if someone happens to rat them out. Even if they do get caught out, if they are successful nogoodniks, the fine for failing to file will be a joke, and anyway, the penalty for whatever other crimes they are up to is going to be worse than a fine.

Scenario Number Two: Similar to Scenario Number One, this time, an honest citizen of means rents or owns two or more condos in Thailand.  He travels back and forth frequently, as often as he sees fit. He might even stay with a friend or two along the way during his travels. Naturally, his friend never files a TM30 as he know the guy will be returning to his own home. The guy never files a TM30 and will never be caught out except by accident or if someone informs on him. Even if someone informs on him, very difficult to track his movement or prove that he was ever away for more than 24 hours.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Screws tighten on TM30 reporting; petition ongoing ...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »
Thailand tightens the screws on TM30 reporting, petition ongoing

Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:12 pm

Nearly 5,000 Thai expats have now signed a petition pleading for modification or abolition of the TM30 immigration form. The well-organised petition calling for changes to the form is an unusual step for expats who, most of the time, keep their head down and out of the daily operations of the Land of Smiles.

Read the full article and 19 pages of discussion on ThaiVisa.com =>

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1117521-thailand-tightens-the-screws-on-tm30-reporting-petition-ongoing/#comments

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
I was just thinking about when all these issues with the Form TM30 raised its head.  Look back.  Who was put in charge of Immigration?  Of course, Big Joke.

And what did he do?  He went after all those illegals in Thailand, those on overstays, those who did not report where they were and are staying, the criminals, those with forged documents (passports, visas ,etc.)  Thousands!

So, I would think the senior government officials including the National Chief of the RTP, those in other senior positions realized how lax everyone in Immigration had been.  Most I/O's and their supervisors were ignoring the law. 

He changed that and the follow-on Chief of Immigration is doing the same.

We innocents have just been caught up in this serious implementation of the law.

So go back further.  What if, and I say what if, the laws would have been followed for the last 10, 15, 20 years.  Would we still be here?  Most likely and we would have just proceeded every time to have the person responsible for submitting the Form TM30's, do their thing.  We would have probably gone forward with 'assisting' those who were responsible by getting a power of attorney to do the constant legwork.

It is what it is until the Thai Government changes the law, or the National Chief of the TRP, gives further directions on how to implement the current law.

It's like we Americans with the IRS, we live with it.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
Maybe Frank, if they had of enforced the laws properly 15, 20 years ago there may not have been any need for the TM30. You mentioned "Big Joke" the wife saw something on the Thai news and she tried to show me but I do not know exactly what it was about but it appears that "Big Joke" was offered another position By Puyat but he turned it down, but the interesting thing was that he was still wearing his police uniform after everyone saying he was sacked from the police and that he had to turn his uniform in. Very interesting. But like you say, we just have to live with it.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Foreign house owner and guest house manager fined for not reporting foreigners within 24 hours

Naew Na reported the continued actions of Thai immigration - this time in Koh Samui and Pattaya - in cracking down on home owners and hotels not reporting foreigners at their addresses within 24 hours of their arrivals.

Read on ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/30Dd0zO

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 06:30:01 AM »
There was quite a bit of money exchanging hands at Immigration yesterday as I was there to get my Retirement Extension.

I know for a fact (talked to the couple afterwards), that the farang's wife was fined a significant amount, like 3,000 baht, for not processing Form TM 30s.  I think 2 other couples were in the same boat.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »
Maybe Frank, if they had of enforced the laws properly 15, 20 years ago there may not have been any need for the TM30. You mentioned "Big Joke" the wife saw something on the Thai news and she tried to show me but I do not know exactly what it was about but it appears that "Big Joke" was offered another position By Puyat but he turned it down, but the interesting thing was that he was still wearing his police uniform after everyone saying he was sacked from the police and that he had to turn his uniform in. Very interesting. But like you say, we just have to live with it.

Need-shmeed! There are many practices that would make law enforcement's life easier.  But if you claim to be a civilized society, an equal participant in the global community of modern nations, there are certain things you don't do just because you think you "need" to.  Why not allow coerced confessions and torture? Gawd knows we need that; why go to the expense and bother of a trial in a court of law when we know the guy is guilty?  Search warrants?  What an awful  bother! Everyone knows that just gives the bad guys the chance to get rid of evidence before the cops arrive! "Reasonable cause" is such a nuisance! If the police have a "gut feeling" that Joe Sixpack is up to some hanky-panky, why not just follow him around and all the time and put bugs in his house and car and on his phone and see if you can catch him doing something naughty? In more practical, loess sentimental countries to, it is quite efficient and effective to punish groups of people in order to "smoke out" the one bad guy.Let's bring that back!  Oh, yeah, if a guy has a certain colored skin or ethnicity, let's just round them all up for questioning because we know they are all a bunch of greasy, nasty law breakers!  Finally, is is sooooo inconvenient to have to look for a bad guy after he has done some evil deed.  Let's just have everyone report to the police every time they leave their homes so we know where they are "just in case."

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
Better yet, why doesn't every government just force everyone to have a chip inserted some place in their body.  So when the bad guys remove their chips, the government can rush in and arrest them!!

Wasn't the Thai government considering having a tracker in every foreigners' phone?  That probably makes more sense than Form TM30!

When I asked the I/O when I got my extension if they were having many foreigners and the house masters being fined because of non registering using Form TM30,  his comment to me, "YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!"  Sort of a nice gesture.

I am not sure why a Yellow Book (or even a Blue Book,) which registers a foreigner's place of residence, is not accepted in lieu of the Form TM30.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 04:50:04 PM »
Frank, I have mixed feelings about making things like the TM30 easier.  And let's face it, for some it's not a problem.  In my case, I don't travel much, and when I do, I have someone deal with the TM30 for me.  Even if I didn't, a ten minute taxi ride to Imm is not much of a burden. However, I have heard several reports of people who have to travel a lot, and have a two hour drive to their particular Imm office. That really sucks for them.

In any event, I have mixed feelings about making it "easier." The easier it is, the more people will be inclined to overlook the civil liberties transgression it represents. 

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
I think there is a much easier way for those who travel quite a bit and have a long drive to immigration, apply for an online account.  If that is too difficult, then send the form and supporting docs by registered mail, and keep the receipt.

I feel no remorse for any foreigner that uses Thailand as a base of operations for their business and travels world-wide for that business.  To me Form TM30 is just a 'part of doing business'.  Maybe the reason they like Thailand, they don't have to pay taxes here or to their home country.  What your own government doesn't know . . . . .

I really don't understand your 'civil liberties' comment.  We foreigners are here at the consideration of the Thai Government.  I would think that if meeting their legal requirements is too much for anyone and an inconvenience, then they can leave.  The government will not force one to stay.  AND for those Thais and other home owners/hotel managers who are frustrated with the law, very easy don't rent to foreigners.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
No more comments on Form TM30 from me.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 05:04:34 PM »
TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2Hrhoub

Thailand has long been an attractive destination for Western expats - where money goes further and can buy a good quality of life. But the revival of an arcane immigration law has angered the expat community and got them questioning their freedoms in Thailand, as George Styllis reports from Bangkok.

"I've been made to feel as if I'm not welcome here," says Zareeka Gardner, a 25-year-old English teacher from the US.

Since arriving in Thailand in April, she has racked up immigration fines totalling 12,400 baht (£330). A large part of that is because her apartment manager failed to promptly file a form saying where she was staying.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:11:55 PM by Rex (Admin) »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »

Looks like it's TM28 we should be complaining about.

Phuket News => http://bit.ly/2HBLhb5
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:09:02 PM by Rex (Admin) »