Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: US Postal Service Rate Changes Coming, etc.  (Read 131 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
US Postal Service Rate Changes Coming, etc.
« on: July 31, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »

Read the article attached if there is any interest.  I know it says APO/FPO Addresses but it also affects what we civilians send.

I get online daily information from a service called "Defense News".  I am attaching an article on international postal service between the US and all international postal systems.  These changes will affect our postal charges, most likely when items are shipped to the US.  Seems like the Trump Administration is withdrawing from a 144-year old treaty where shipping items to the US get very favorable rates  vs the other way around.  Since the cost of shipping using the US Postal Service as the origin country, we were paying the going US rate but the other way around, items being shipped from another country got to use their international rates forcing the USPS to 'eat' a majority of the cost.  The article is for the US military but it directly affects civil rates also. 

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/us-withdrawal-from-international-mail-treaty-could-alter-delivery-for-apo-fpo-addresses-1.592309?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB%2007.30.19&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Early%20Bird%20Brief

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: US Postal Service Rate Changes Coming, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
I know many of you Americans send registered 1st class international letters to the US (from what I see on the Forum.)  So, for example, from Thailand a registered 1st class letter to be sent to the US is what, about 120 baht?  From the US it costs about $22.70 or about 390 baht to do the same in reverse.  I would think if the US leaves the International Postal Union treaty, since a majority of the cost of delivering is in the US, the Thai price is going to become somewhere nearer the 390 baht since the US is going to charge Thailand Postal the additional cost.

Good things seem to never last!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: US Postal Service Rate Changes Coming, etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
That sucks!  Especially as you never know if the damn mail will get delivered in the U.S.