Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: VIP bus to Korat  (Read 148 times)

kkbill

• View Profile
VIP bus to Korat
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
Where to get one? Are there any? There must be...... I go to Korat once a month on a Sunday afternoon. I've asked around the bus station and always get shunted out to a departure around 2:30 -its always a crappy one level bus with narrow seats and no leg room. On my return on Monday noon I go to the tkt window at the Korat bus station and ask for a tkt to KK.  Sometimes the agent makes a call other times not but in 20-40 minutes the right bus number  appears. When the conductor sees me with my cane he lets me sit on  the lower level which  I typically have all to myself for a nice ride back to KK. Cost is around 40 baht more than the crappy bus. Does anyone know where to get one of  these good buses going in the direction of Korat. Departure time doesn't matter much.    Thanks.

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: VIP bus to Korat
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
Why not check out the train schedule?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
Are you starting in Khon Kaen?  Is there no Nakonchai Air (NCA) or Chan Tours VIP bus to Korat???  NCA has it's own little station inside the station. At least it did in the old air con bus station.

https://www2.nakhonchaiair.com/view/

kkbill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »
Hi Rex, Nakonchai goes to BKK but will stop near some market I am unfamiliar with in Korat. They make you pa full fare to BKK even though you are getting off in Korat, I'lll go down to the bus station Monday and check out Chan Tours. Thanks

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
Bill, I hope Chan Tours has something for you or that you find an acceptable workaround. However, the scenario you described would hardly be a deal breaker in my mind. I am sure there are tuk-tuks near where you get off the bus. Maybe even taxis, but I have not been to Korat in probably a decade. As to the money, it certainly is annoying to pay the fare to Bangers and get off half-way there.  On the other hand, If a tix to Bangers is B500 and Korat is half-way, you are quote-unquote "over-paying" B250.  Annoying, but--unless you are really broke--hardly the end of the world. If you go to a buffet, you don't get annoyed because you pay the same money even though you might only eat half as much food as the other diners.

Oh, well.  Up to you, lah!

kkbill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 10:15:36 PM »
Rex, to be honest I haven't plotted where the NCA  drop off point actually is. My final destination is across from Gate1 of the Korat RTAFB which is a 30 min 200 baht taxi ride from the bus station [less on the way back as meter is used). My 1st experience with NCA a few years ago was from BKK to KK in a bus where the AC didn't work - a toasty-sweaty ride home. Before coming here I had the pleasure of using -for 19 years- intercity buses in Mexico -sheer luxury at an affordable 1/2 price for Seniors. In Brasil sheets and blankets were handed out and you could even bring your own DVD's to play on the bus-wide video screens. Thai bus travel has a long way to go to join the top tier internationally - even in Bangladesh there is fun on the Dhaka-Chittagong route where one lucky ticket holder wins a prize if his/her tkt is drawn from a hat. Long overnight Karaoke buses in India should be avoided.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 07:08:25 AM »
Bill, sorry you had a bad experience with NCA.  I have never been to Bangladesh, so I would not be able to compare the service. However, I have done the "red eye" KKC-BKK many times and it is very comfortable. You get a snack too. I wouldn't know about the dancing girls and all that as I catch the 11:30 pm, take half a xanax, lay back in the big, reclining seat, and wake up at 5:30 a.m. as the bus is pulling into Bangers. The little  Bangers NCA terminal is in a different location than the big bus station. Dozens of taxis appear outside, waiting to take you away. No traffic all the way to my hotel.

Hope you sort out your logistics.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:43:09 AM »
My wife said there is no Khon Kaen to Khorat 1st class bus. But you may want to investigate the Udorn to Khorat bus which stops in Khon Kaen.  It is 1st class.