Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners  (Read 4030 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »
I am still concerned on the clarification.  How does one local office of Immigration announce this and not the Head of Immigration?  They are probably right, but it still would be better if it came from the Big Boss.  Check out the URL below.

ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2wfrOXI
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:22:52 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2019, 05:35:17 PM »
Thanks Frank! The story on ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2wfrOXI not only is quite clear, but unambiguously states several different times that the mandatory insurance requirement is for O-A visa, and not O visa.  This is just small excerpt:

"Prachuap Khiri Khan Immigration told Thaivisa that the new requirements only affect people seeking Non-Immigrant Visa O-A.

The requirement for mandatory health insurance does not affect those people who stay in Thailand on a Non O extension of stay based on retirement."

Frank makes a good point about the announcement coming from a local office rather than the head of Imm, but that "could" just be the imponderables of Thai bureaucracy. Or not. We'll see. I guess.

There is also the curiosity I raised in an earlier post. If the intention is to protect Thailand health care providers from nasty, smelly foreigners who don't pay their medical bills, limiting the application to O-A visa holders makes no sense. What on earth is this all about anyway?  Probably we will never know.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
Might be a good idea to move to Prachuap Khiri Khan.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
My wife was concerned about having me pay for a Major Medical Insurance policy from one of the companies identified if it was required for NonImm O's Retirement Extensions.  Seems she went on the government hotline Monday and was told she needed to go to the local IMM office to check. 

I know we have seen the requirement only for NonImm O-A's but she wanted to make sure.  So I had to take her to the Khon Kaen IMM Office so she could go in by herself and ask the question.  Why?  I have a lower valued Medical Insurance Policy from AIA that needs to be renewed on the 11th of this month (about 60% price of the ones advertised.)

The IMM Officer told her that she and I had nothing to worry about, the insurance requirements are not for me.

I'll bet the reason we have heard nothing new about the Medical Insurance requirements, they DO NOT know how to implement.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
BOOOPA--I guess one of the most commonly used by falang--doesn't make it easier by describing benefit payout per day rather than total coverage as was specified in the Imm announcements. 

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
Wonder if the Thai Government will go forward on the 22nd of August with the announcement.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118333-details-of-mandatory-health-insurance-for-non-imm-o-a-visas-to-be-announced-next-week/?utm_source=newsletter-20190818-0912&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Posted 8 hours ago

[/size]Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week An official announcement regarding the details of the proposed mandatory health insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant O-A visas is due to be made next week. On Friday, a senior executive from one of the insurance companies involved in the scheme told Thaivisa that the Office of Insurance Commission, the Ministry of Public Health, the Foreign Ministry and Immigration Bureau will announce the insurance requirements for  Non-Immigrant O-A visas on 22 August. In May, it was proposed that foreigners applying for Non-Immigrant O-A visas would be required to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 outpatient coverage and Bt400,000 baht inpatient coverage and it is these details, along with others, which are expected to be confirmed in next week’s announcement. The mandatory health insurance requirement was proposed to help Thailand tackle the large number of unpaid medical bills from foreigners who receive treatment in Thai state hospitals. Figures from the Department of Health Service Support reported by The Nation in May revealed that from 2016 to 2019 there was a combined total of more than one billion baht in unpaid medical bills from foreigners. As of today, the mandatory health insurance requirement has only been proposed for Non-Immigrant O-A visas and not for other visa types or extensions of stay.[size=inherit]

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2019, 07:48:29 PM »
It sounds like a perfectly reasonable proposal, doesn't it.  But like some many things, it is being implement before it has been thought through carefully.  Some of the issues brought up on a ThaiVisa discussion

1. What about exclusions for preexisting conditions and denied claims (for whatever reasons?) If the insurance don't pay, the hospital still gets stiffed if the nasty, greasy falang can't cover out of pocket.

2. Outpatient is a terrible deal. In my BOOOPA case, it would add an additional B50,000 to the premium to obtain a maximum payout of B75,000.

3. New coverage is difficult or impossible to get if you are over 60, which is essentially every greasy, nasty, old fart falang on a retirement extension.

4. Generally, private insurance just isn't very good.  It is expensive and doesn't provide enough coverage to deal with major illness, which is what most of us are looking at sooner or later. 

Of course the solution is to fold in expat coverage into the national Thai insurance scheme, charge for it, and  add on a hefty surcharge (because after all, we are greasy and nasty). Of course, that is too logical, would work too well, and would deprive private health care of exorbitant premiums that provide in adequate coverage. 

But remember, inadequate coverage just means that the hospitals still run the risk of getting stiffed for any costs insurance or the nasty, greasy falang won't pay for.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 07:39:25 AM »
This announcement is clearer if it is accurate???

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visa-starts-october-31

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
Tks for the update, Savannah. 

However, the headline "Mandatory health insurance for ‘Long Stay’ visa starts October 31" is misleading and perhaps deliberately inflammatory.

This applies (at least for the time being) only to those on an "O-A" retirement visa obtained at a consulate/embassy outside of Thailand. I suspect that most of us are on an "O" visa with a retirement extension issued by the Imm office inside Thailand. Most or large numbers of us did not come into Thailand with an "O-A" visa. We had some other type of visa, and then converted it to a retirement extension at the Imm office.

The big problem with the insurance requirement of B40K outpatient coverage which is quite costly, at least from BOOOOPA who will only give me B75K of outpatient and charge me an additional B50K premium.  It's a joke!  Why would anyone pay B50K for a maximum possible payout of B75K?  Even in the unlikely event you used the maximum, that would mean 30 hospital visits during the year at the limit of B2.5K per visit.  BTW, this does not apply to me, but I did the research before the "O-A" clarification came out earlier this year.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »

I arrived in Thailand today.
I got my multi O-A issued in London in mid-April this year and they asked me for it at BKK immig.
The person I gave my summary card to didn't seem to know what to do with it. He asked the man next to him then called someone else over.
He accepted it in the end.

I've still no idea how these visas work.
When I arrived in July I was stamped to mid-July 2020 but today I only got stamped to mid-June next year.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »
"When I arrived in July I was stamped to mid-July 2020 but today I only got stamped to mid-June next year."

That sounds like they gave you the wrong date.

Not really a problem if you'll be traveling again before the OA visa expires in April.
Just be sure that they give you a year if entering again prior to April.

If you won't be traveling soon, you might want to have immigration correct what looks like a wrong date.

Remember, you can get a second year with an entry just prior to the visa expiring.

Terry

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »

Thanks Terry,
It's just a short visit this time but I should be back before April.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
Just received a notice from the U. S. State Department (American Embassy-Bangkok) regarding this matter.  It goes into effect on October 31, 2019 and pertains to those with O-A and O-X visas.  If also provides a download for an Overseas Insurance Certificate Form.  If you have insurance with other that a Thai Co. you may provide this  signed form, completed by your insurance company as proof of insurance.

I'm not sure what type of visa I have.  When I got my new passport in Jun 2017 and they converted stamps over to my new passport they recorded that I changed from a Non B to a Non O in December 2003, but they also stamped that on 17 March 2016 that my visa was a Non-RE.  Is there such a thing as a Non-RE?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2019, 08:06:58 PM »
Thanks Reuben. It is import to make sure whether this regulation applies to you or not and to clarify what type of visa you actually have. If you are not sure, visit your Imm office and find out.  Most (or at least a substantial number of us) are on an "O" visa, as opposed to to an "O-A" or "O-X".  The "O-X" is a ten year visa.  The confusion over this has generated in literally hundreds of pages of discussion on ThaiVisa.com . While I strongly suspect this will eventually apply to all long-stay nasty, greasy falang, at the moment it does not.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
I would not bet against the possibility that, in the future, there will be "agents" to assist greasy falangs who need insurance, but don't have it, to complete the visa extension process.