Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners  (Read 1333 times)

TerryLH

• View Profile
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 01:34:04 AM »
Lots of confusion about this subject.
Above there are also some contradictory info which just adds to the confusion.  Plus some wrong info.

A Non O-A visa is one that you apply for in your home country or country of residence.  It is multiple entry with each entry good for one year.
You cannot renew this visa.  You can, however, leave just prior to it (visa) expiring and get a years entry.  During this year you would need to get a re-entry permit if you planned a trip and wanted to keep your permission valid.

At any point, 30 days prior to any permission to stay date, you could go to immigration and apply to extend it for a year.

In a post above one poster said, in the same post, that you didn't need financials and that you do need financials.
For a Non O-A visa you do need financials, but it can be in a bank anywhere. 

Since a Non O-A allows a years stay, you will need to do 90 day reports if you stay longer than 90 days at any one time.

For a Non O Multiple entry, no report is required because each entry is only good for 90 days.

So far all the news articles I've seen says Non O-A visa.  I also read that there are 38 million people here on Non O-A visas.

I don't believe that is correct.  I think some of the people talking about this or writing the interviews don't really understand what they are talking/wring about.
That is just my uneducated opinion.

I think what we will find out sooner or later, is that the insurance will be required for all yearly extensions - at least those extended for retirement.
If not, I see a time when there isn't much call for a Non O-A for a majority of folks.  Not when a Non O will be a better deal.

The second part of this post is speculation.  The first part was not.

Terry

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 01:57:33 AM »
Thanks Terry.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Maybe someday they will charge 25,000 baht for a one year visa and have it include health insurance. Maybe someday I will win the lottery.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »

Lots of confusion about this subject.

<snip>

I think what we will find out sooner or later, is that the insurance will be required for all yearly extensions - at least those extended for retirement.
If not, I see a time when there isn't much call for a Non O-A for a majority of folks.  Not when a Non O will be a better deal.

The second part of this post is speculation.  The first part was not.

Terry

Thanks, Terry! As always, your expertise is valued. For me personally, I hope you are wrong, but you probably are not wrong.  The wording re O and OA is clear enough, but I'll bet it was just a careless mis-statement adding an unnecessary layer of confusion into an already confusing discussion. One of the problems is that I had never realized there was a distinction between O and OA until this recent hand grenade has forced me to pay attention.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
At the time in 2011, working a informal arrangement with Siam Legal, here is my thread for getting my TYPE "O" VISA, at the age of 67.

I found my old passport which has my original NON-IMMIGRANT VISA TYPE "O" ISSUED 26 MAY 2011.  It was issued at the Thai Consulate in Atlanta, Georgia - USA. When I arrived in Thailand the IMM Officer stamped my passport identifying a "good until 12 SEP 2011" arrival stamp after which I would have to exit the country and return.  So I did a retirement extension on 25 AUG 2011, even though it was questioned by the IMM Officer of why do it so early.  He told me the ride to Laos was an easy journey.  So now I continue to exercise a renewal before 12 SEP every year.

Back in the US, to initially get my "O", I had to prove I had the financial wherewithal using my bank accounts in the US.  For a valid reference, I could have used a friend of mine who owns a Thai business or Siam Legal letter but the Administrative Assistant to the Consul General suggested that a copy of my marriage license would suffice.

It'll be interesting to see the final declaration out of Immigration on who will be required to get the Mandatory Medical Insurance.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »
When I got my "O" visa at Vientiane late in 2005, I am quite sure I was not asked about financials. It was a long time ago so I might be mistaken, but I don't remember being asked about it. The process was a little complicated because you had to make your application in the morning and then return the next day to collect your visa. I understand that now it is more complicated as you have to make an appointment in advance.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Rex, I went online to one of the Thai Embassy website pertaining to Types of VISAs.  You are right on the Type "O".  I guess the Administrative Assistant to the Consul-General added the bank statement to my set of documentation for the visa request.  She probably wanted to cover all bases.

Boy, the Type "O-A" requires significantly more documentation, all having to be notarized.

Happy we have our "Type O".  By the way, I am really happy that I've kept my old passport which has the Type "O" Visa in it.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
I am going to hope (without expectation) that when the cabinet referred to type OA, that was not sloppy, and that they intended to make a distinction between OA and O. Why on earth they would make such a distinction is beyond me. However, if the meant it, as I have been saying, it saves me B48K which would essentially be an expense that provides NOTHING. I would rather give the money to charity than as a gratuity to BOOOOPA.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 12:00:51 PM »

Boy, the Type "O-A" requires significantly more documentation, all having to be notarized.

I got an O-A a couple of years ago in the UK but let it lapse. I got everything notarized as per their instructions.

Last month I got another one and the wording had slightly changed to having to be notarized if it wasn't an original document.
I took a chance and sent everything off without getting anything notarised and hoped even a bank statement I downloaded myself would be accepted.

As usual, I sent off everything they asked for and more so maybe the un-notarized things weren't needed but it came back in a couple of days.

Mind, it was a bit of a panic as I deliberately left it late with regard to next year's trips and didn't think they would take both Thai and UK holidays which included Songkran and Easter next to each other.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
You dodged a bullet this time!  roll

Who the hell ever knows when they are going to decide to be sticklers on some trivial issue and when they are going to go by the "smell test" and approve when everything seems on the up-and-up.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
a USEmbassy article in the Phuket News says essentially nothing about the definition of who is required to have Medical Insurance.  t looks like a 'cover my tracks' type of article that says you should have the insurance or you cold be faced with a large debt that is unanticipated.  Read for yourself.

http://bit.ly/2ElwVtL

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:54:40 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 07:08:39 AM »
Adding to the confusion, I went to the US Embassy website and can't see that they issued such a warning/advisory/article. At least I didn't see anything.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Savannah.  I decided to go into more detail on what was in the 'article'.

What it looks like, someone went into the US State Department website and under 'STEP', which is an assistance from the department for international travelers once they embark to a country.  (I enrolled many years ago in STEP to get current information that they decide is important to travelers to Thailand.)

Whoever put the article together, they have cut and pasted general information from the subarticles on "HEATH", nothing to do with the specific new law.  They pulled word for word the general statements about making sure you have adequate coverage when traveling, and while incountry, most hospital are "cash and carry."

I guess when you have nothing to report, you make it up!!!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:50 AM »
Fakenews! >:(

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
I did see this on the US Embassy Bangkok website:

Dear American Citizens,The U.S Embassy Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai will no longer provide scheduled Consular Outreach Services.Please renew your adult passport by mail: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/.When renewing a minor passport please be advised that both parents and minor children under 16 years old will need to appear at the Embassy. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/minor-passport-renew/. Special Notes: The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs which allows U.S. citizens traveling and living abroad to receive important information by enrolling with their nearest Embassy or Consulate. If you would like to receive information, please register for STEP athttps://step.state.gov/step/. Please see: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/for more information about services provided at the Embassy.Follow us on Twitter:@ACSBKK
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:31:09 AM by Savannah20 »