Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners  (Read 9634 times)

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »

Thanks Rex. I'll have to get hold of that list.
My insurance covers everything, inpatient and outpatient.

The sooner I can get rid of this O-A visa the better. I don't really need it and going back to 30 days would make things so much easier.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »

It looks like a very short list.

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »

Thanks Rex. I'll have to get hold of that list.
My insurance covers everything, inpatient and outpatient.

The sooner I can get rid of this O-A visa the better. I don't really need it and going back to 30 days would make things so much easier.

Sorry, Screamer, I should have included that the company has to be a Thai company, one that is on the approved list.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
Thanks

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »

As my brother pointed out.
What happens to the expats when they reach the age limit for insurance companies?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
Who knows what actually happens! However, if you do not have insurance and Imm demands it, I guess you don't get your visa/extension.  One of the few smart things I did was sign up with BOOOPA just under the age limit, 60 or 61 if I remember.  As I understand it, my policy cannot be cancelled so long as I continue to pay the premiums.  However, now you have made me paranoid, and I guess I had better confirm that with BOOOPA.  But I guess it is a reality that some older people will have difficulty getting a new policy, or getting a policy that cannot be cancelled in the future because of age. Sometimes, you just have to accept reality even when it sucks! In your home country, you probably have a stronger social contract and commitment to take care of old farts before the worms get them!

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
I know nothing about this company but they do say you can apply up to age 75.

https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/longstay-visa/

And I see some companies talking about policies with deductibles which keeps the policy cost down. You do pay more if you need to file a claim.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:53:07 AM by Savannah20 »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
Tks, Savannah.  The website makes it look like the coverage is specific to O-A and O-X visas.  I assume they would not turn away a O visa holder, but shall find out. They will write a new policy up to age 75 and won't kick you off until you are 99 (if you have not kicked off already!  roll )  These packages look like a pretty good deal, but the devil is in the details, to be determined. I would want to do a line-by-line comparison with BOOOPA, but just at first glance, BOOOPA looks like a really bad deal). Also, as you said, offers a deductible which may be a better option for some people.  Here is the "instant quote" they came up with for me, which may not be at all like your or Harry Potter's.  Tks!

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
I tried it and got a quote without any questions at all about my health. Weird.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Yes, and they also say they will "consider" covering pre-existing conditions.  You could understand why if you already had cancer, for example, gawd forbid, they would not want to cover that going in.  However, I have hypertension, which I manage. So do about 1/3 of adults in the U.S., if I remember correctly.  Not only is it specifically excluded on my BOOOPA policy, but the wording is "hypertension and its complications."  Hypertension itself rarely causes any symptoms or specific problems. It's the complications; heart and renal disease or anything cardiovascular or circulatory. That lease a lot of room for them to deny claims as they could blame virtually anything on complications of hypertension. Obviously, an insurer needs to reduce risk and manage claims, but automatically denying 1/3 of adults who might otherwise be perfectly healthy until they shuffle off to Buffalo is just a bit predatory in my opinion.  Anyway, it would be interesting if Pac Cross was flexible on that issue.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
Maybe some of you know Tony:

https://tonyinthailand.com/a-private-hospital-visit-in-thailand/

PS: Whenever you talk to a medical insurance company ask them what their definition is of a "pre-existing condition". It might be a little more lenient than you think.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »
We had a long discussion at golf on the subject.  One of the guys told us the story of a friend of his (or a friend of a friend) where he went in to get an O-A extension.  After their initial refusal but 30,000 baht later, his extension was approved!

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »
30,000 baht  >:( :'(

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
Was this for lack of ins
We had a long discussion at golf on the subject.  One of the guys told us the story of a friend of his (or a friend of a friend) where he went in to get an O-A extension.  After their initial refusal but 30,000 baht later, his extension was approved!

Was this because of lack of medical insurance? 

I am as much a fan of healthy corruption as the next fellow ... for B30K is corrupt!