Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners  (Read 4201 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »
That is one of the things agents do now already, lah; facilitate the application process without the need to demonstrate insurance.

fceligoj

• View Profile
Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners (on an O-A Visa)
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Rex, I think you made it under the wire.  For all the rest of you on a Non Immigrant "O-A" Visa, be prepared.

A golfing friend of mine went to Khon Kaen Immigration on Thursday the 28th of Nov.  He was attempting to renew his Marriage extension based upon the Non "O-A" visa.

Everything was going along as it should with no issues until at the end.  The I/O did not ask him any questions, but got up and went back to talk to a senior person in Immigration.  They talked for quite a while and then went in to see the Supervisor.  The three of them got on the phone to some one either in the regional office or back to Bangkok.

The I/O came out and told him that he is the first individual that had come in to renew his Marriage Extension based upon a non "O-A" visa.  He needs to have insurance before they can approve.  (This is all new so it is more than just those who are getting a NEW Non "O-A" visa, it will be for everyone that has an "O-A" and is attempting to renew.)  He said he had an AIA Policy that exceeds the minimum requirement, but they said they CANNOT accept it as coverage since AIA would not sign up with Immigration as a provider.  (The only way AIA will provide the medical insurance for it to be tied to a Life Insurance policy.)

Rex, is Aetna on the Immigration list of acceptable Medical Insurance providers?

He is on his way this Sunday, the 1st, to Laos to get the Non IMM type "O" Marriage Visa.  He is not going to Savannakhet but to Vientiane instead.  Said he will report back on whether he was successful or not.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the report, Frank.

Just to keep the record straight, I am on an "O" not an "O-A."  I have posted about the insurance issue because at first, I was not clear about "O" vs. "O-A" situation.  However, I do have Aetna (BOOOPA), but only inpatient. When I investigated rates, I learned that it would cost an additional B50K on top of my B72K to add outpatient. One of the worst deals I have ever seen.  B50K would get me a maximum of of B75K of coverage during the year. At the time, there was no option for only the Imm required B40K coverage. If they use the same formula, B40K would cost nearly B28K. Ridiculous.

I would be surprised if Aetna was not on the approved list, but I don't know one way or the other.

The other option for your friend is to use an agent.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »
He feels there is no need since once he has the Non "O" Visa based on marriage he will use the Non "O" to get a new marriage extension at Khon Kaen Immigration.  Then no need for a visa run every 90 Days.  He will report on his success, etc., once he is back.

On the Medical Insurance side, I have a reasonable policy with AIA for about B50K a year (of course tied to a life insurance policy with my wife as the beneficiary.)  It gives me B25K of outpatient coverage, but like I said AIA refuses to belong to the group of insurance company 'qualified' by Immigration.  (You have to wonder how much of a kickback the insurance companies on the approved list have to pay.)

Rex, sorry that I assume you had an "O-A" with all your concern with the medical insurance.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »
Quote from: fceligoj
He is on his way this Sunday, the 1st, to Laos to get the Non IMM type "O" Marriage Visa.  He is not going to Savannakhet but to Vientiane instead.

Does he have an appointment?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:09:06 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
If he doesn't, I guess he will find out on Monday morning that he needed one.  It is not like the good old days when you could just drop in at the Consulate.  Leading up to my renewal last month, as I was considering my options, I was going to book an appointment at Vientiane as a fall-back in case my application went pear-shaped.  I don't recall it being as busy as someone told me, but you still need to plan ahead.  Ain't life in these here modern times wonderful?

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »
You can get the same visa at Savannakhet and there is no appointment needed just romp up like we used to do at Vientiane plus there is also the extra of being able to get a multi entry if it works out better for you. The only reason I got the multi entry was because of Khon Kaen Immigration and now it gives me 15 months to see what happens here with the strength of the baht and any changes to the rules that they may think up. Savannakhet is not much different in travel time.

Savannah20

• View Profile
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners - Aetna
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »
Some info that I did not really read:

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »
Typical of an American Insurance Company,  over kill, but with restrictions (age and previous conditions.)  I have Aetna in the US, plan on getting rid of it next year.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
If I turn up with my -very good - UK insurance certificate but they don't like it will I still get a 30 day tourist visa?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »
The want you to have B40K outpatient--which is practically nothing--but that is the requirement. Also, don't they want your insurance company to be on the approved list?

I wish they would not create such uncertainty and make things more difficult than they have to be.  For tourists, they could just add B100 or whatever to the visa via or collect it when you go through immigration. For long-stays, certainly that could work with the insurance companies to provide the minimal B500,000 inpatient / B40,000 outpatient coverage.  Why anyone would want crappy outpatient coverage is beyond me, but that's another matter.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2019, 08:38:07 PM »

My UK insurance is 4 million baht equivalent but I doubt Thailand has heard of it.
I was just wondering what they would do, if I am only going to be in the country on a short 3 week trip will they give me the option of just a 30 day visa?
It wouldn't be a problem to me.

Faz

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Today at 09:07:00 AM »

My UK insurance is 4 million baht equivalent but I doubt Thailand has heard of it.
I was just wondering what they would do, if I am only going to be in the country on a short 3 week trip will they give me the option of just a 30 day visa?
It wouldn't be a problem to me.

Health Insurance is only mandatory when entering on an O-A or O-X Visa type.
As a UK national for stays of less than 30 days you do not need a Visa, you can enter Visa exempt. (30 days).
You can also extend that 30 days for an additional 30 days at a local Immigration office. (1,900 BHT).

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Today at 12:14:01 PM »

I have a multi O-A so I'm not sure if they would just give me a 30 day tourist visa if they didn't like/recognise my insurance.
For my next trip 30 days would do.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #74 on: Today at 12:39:09 PM »
First of all, whatever happens, happens.  It may have nothing at all to do with what we are discussion here.  All we can do is kick around our various interpretations of what we believe to be the current policy.

Screamer, from what I understand, it doesn't matter if your policy has B100 million in coverage, if it doesn't have B40K in outpateint, technically, it doesn't qualify. It also doesn't matter whether they "like" your insurance or not, if it is not on the approved list, it doesn't qualify. That list is public information.  Maybe someone could post a link.

Another tidbit which may be of interest:   New requirement asks Taiwanese nationals to submit bank statements from the previous three months => http://bit.ly/2PkU18G. Taiwan is a developed nation. The people who visit here are monied, sophisticated professionals and are understandably pissed. Taiwan in an island, so poor Taiwanese are unlikely to try to sneak into Thailand.

As far as I know, there is no insurance requirement for a tourist visa or "visa exempt" at this time. However, there have been discussions to add B100 to the price of a tourist visa = ]http://bit.ly/2DV7tL0 This is a perfectly reasonable, workable solution which should put an end to all the controversy. If anyone is sufficiently off put for having to pay an additional $3, they can visit Cambodia instead.

It is more complicated, but there is no reason not to implement something similar to long-stay visitors, a reasonably priced plan so that everyone could meet the B500K / B40K minimum.  If someone had the money and wanted more than that (and many would I reckon), they could buy an add-on policy of the insurers were willing to create such a policy.