Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners  (Read 9801 times)

Savannah20

• View Profile
Re: Health Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »
Hoping Frank gets some insight when he goes in for his 90 day report today.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 06:43:08 AM »
My friend knows one of the mucky-mucks at KK Imm. Called yesterday to ask about the new insurance rules. Her call was the first he had heard about it.  Maybe Frank will learn more.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »
I assume this is just sloppy writing, but an interesting wrinkle. The wording in one of the original threads on ThaiVisa sez:

"Approved by the Cabinet last month, the new regulation will require expats on the long-stay non-immigrant O-A visa to have health insurance that offers Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and Bt400,000 for inpatient." http://bit.ly/2HvXEVi

For example, I am on a plain, vanilla "O" visa and annual retirement extension. The wording above makes it sounds like I am exempt from the new regulations. But that must be a red herring, no?

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
No, Rex, I believe it is not a red herring. Those that are on a Non-Imm "O" 90 day visa with an extension on the basis of retirement or marriage are subjected to have to prove their financials by either seasoned money in a Thai bank account or a proven monthly income. Those that are on a Non-Imm "O-A" 1 year visa for retirement which is obtained from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in their home country are not subjected to any financials so this is one way of getting those retirees to have some type of financial commitment in Thailand. So look out all those that are on 1 year Multi-Entry Marriage visa's obtained without having to show any financials, you could be the next target

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
I think there are too many interpretations of what is required of whom.  It is so early in the process.

It will be interesting to see if the one comment by the minister about having 400,000 baht in a saving account vs medical insurance if one is not insurable or too old to get it.  Most companies need one to be under a plan by 75.  What about those who are 76?, 77?, etc., and trying to get insurance?

This is just like what happened when they announced the regulation of having 800,000 'seasoned' baht in a savings account to get a retirement extension.  Look how that got clarified.  My opinion, anyone with more than a 30 day tourist stamp (any kind of basic visa with long stay possibilities attached), is going to be required to have medical insurance, or hopefully the ability to have 400,000 baht in the bank to cover medical expenses.  If you are over 75, the cost of this type of insurance is 100,000 baht or over, so if you are healthy and do not have any medical emergencies, etc., in four years, you will have spent 400,000+ baht with nothing to show!

I guess we have to wait until the Top Dog of Immigration comes out with his position.

Anyway, went in at 8:23, left at 8:28.  Yes, all done before 8:30.  Most of the time was spent waiting for her printer to warm up and her finding her glasses.  I did not want to ask directly about this new potential regulation.  She only wanted to talk about the fact my extension being due on the 12th of Sep, and me needing to make my next 90 Day Report on the 13th of August.  Said I could do both since I would be within the 30 day window of my extension renewal date.

Since I have Medical and outpatient Insurance with AIA, I thought I could 'poke' my agent in the eye about how they were responding to this new law.  Of course, he had no idea about it, has to go investigate.  By the way, he is not one of those 'run of the mill' agents, he owns an agency with more than 5 agents working for him.  So he is more than just one of the salespersons.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »
No, Rex, I believe it is not a red herring. Those that are on a Non-Imm "O" 90 day visa with an extension on the basis of retirement or marriage are subjected to have to prove their financials by either seasoned money in a Thai bank account or a proven monthly income. Those that are on a Non-Imm "O-A" 1 year visa for retirement which is obtained from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in their home country are not subjected to any financials so this is one way of getting those retirees to have some type of financial commitment in Thailand. So look out all those that are on 1 year Multi-Entry Marriage visa's obtained without having to show any financials, you could be the next target

I hope you are correct, Russell, at least as it applies to my situation, not wanting to pony up an extra B48K just get get B40K in OPD that I will probably never use.

Are you saying that the OA folks, once they get a retirement/marriage extension, and will then be required to provide financialsl, will no longer be required to prove insurance?  Something doesn't add up.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 07:58:39 PM »
I think there are too many interpretations of what is required of whom.  It is so early in the process.

<snip>

Since I have Medical and outpatient Insurance with AIA, I thought I could 'poke' my agent in the eye about how they were responding to this new law.  Of course, he had no idea about it, has to go investigate.  By the way, he is not one of those 'run of the mill' agents, he owns an agency with more than 5 agents working for him.  So he is more than just one of the salespersons.

Thanks Frank.  Typical that "they" decide something sounds like a good idea, pass a law, and toss out the announcement like a hand grenade; no thought to the unintended consequences, how it effects various groups of people,  or how to deal with the inevitable conflicts and questions that must be addressed.

Sigh!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 08:26:19 PM »
This is a response to Russell.  When I got my original non-immigrant visa (I am pretty sure it was for one year), I had to provide the Thai Consulate in the USA (Atlanta, Georgia), a copy of my Thai marriage license (in lieu of a reference letter), a copy of my bank statement showing that I had adequate funds for coming to Thailand, and the other documents necessary along with my Passport and the Application Form plus the fee.  This was in 2010!  Of course, they never asked about my health.

So in Australia or wherever, maybe you don't need financial support prof, but in the US you did.

Then of course, when I got my first Retirement extension, we were into the Embassy Income Certification Letter business, the rental agreement, and a copy of the homeowners ID (signed).  That was in 2010 (I did not wait for my non-imm to 'run its course'), and got the extension early.

So I came in June and got my extension on 12 September!

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 08:38:23 PM »
Rex, the Non-Imm "O-A" visa is a 1 year visa that is a applied for at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country and you can get a 1 year renewal and then you must apply for a new visa. This visa cannot be applied for in Thailand and it is a retirement only visa and this is the visa that this medical insurance is tired to. For the Non-Imm "O-A" visa you do not need the financials because you can apply for this visa without ever being to Thailand before your application, hence no financials because you cannot open a Thai bank account and season the money to meet the requirements, even the old requirements. You are on a Non-Imm "O" visa that is only for 90 days and then you must have an extension based on retirement with all the new financials that have just been introduced and an extension based on marriage which also carries financial requirements. The other visa that I mentioned is the Multi Entry visa that you can get at Suvannakhet and HCMC and this visa is for marriage only which also does no have any financials attached to it, and that is why I said that this one will probably next on the hit list. I am on the same visa as you but I am on an extension based on marriage. This insurance does NOT relate to the Non-Imm "O" visa and extensions it is only for the Non-Imm "O-A" visa.
Frank, have a look in your passport at your visa that is in there and it will tell you what type of visa you are on. It will either read "Non-Immigrant "O" or "Non-Immigrant "O-A". All countries when you apply for a visa you must show that you have the funds to support yourself but the difference is that with a Non-Imm "O-A" visa those funds do not have to be in a Thai bank account whereas with the Non-Imm "O" visa and extensions the funds DO have to be in a Thai bank account.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Frank, if you had to apply for an extension based on retirement then you are on a Non-Imm "O" visa because with the Non-Imm "O-A" visa you do not apply for an extension based on retirement because it is a retirement visa and it is valid for 1 year with the option of a 1 year renewal.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »
This is a Non-Imm "O-A" visa and there are no extension stamps that go with this visa. You can get a 1 year renewal and then you must leave Thailand and apply for a new visa. This is the visa type that the mandatory health insurance is on and not the Non-Imm "O" visa.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 10:08:50 PM »

Just to clarify.

I have a non-imm multi entry O-A visa for 1 year.
Am I right in thinking that I still need to do a 90 day report even though the stamp says 26/4/2020?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
We are all making assumptions that can only be declared and defined by immigration.  It may be that all foreigners over 50 and living in Thailand on an almost permanent basis will require  medical insurance coverage whether it is through one of the Thai companies or medical insurance coverage from their home country.

This is much like what happened a few months ago when the whole business of requiring 800,000 seasoned baht in a Thai bank account was to be 'required', no other options available.  Then the real story came out.

We are considering the side of the foreigners, but think about the Insurance Companies, six already are willing to support and from what I heard more to come.  Why?  They are only liable for up to 400,000 baht per year per insured.  I'll bet none of them will lose money because they have done their actuarial diligence.

In the five years that I have had my Thai Medical Insurance policy, I have never placed a claim against it.  100% GROSS MARGIN to the insurance company.

As usual, it is the few who screw it up for the rest of us!  "OH, I HAVE NO MONEY TO PAY THE HOSPITAL BILLS!  I'LL JUST WALK AWAY!"

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 10:28:44 PM »
Screamer, on that type of VISA, don't you have to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days?

You should check at Immigration.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »
Screamer, on that type of VISA, don't you have to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days?

You should check at Immigration.

Not that I know of. Otherwise it wouldn't be a 1 year visa.