Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: 1000฿, $32.00 This is how they send a letter from the U.S. to Thailand.  (Read 225 times)

kowpot

• View Profile
One would think for that kind of money, I could get my mail sent to Thailand from the USA a little faster.
They are sending me my new Texas drivers license. Cost more to send it here than it cost to renew my license.
This was sent using the United States Postal Service. What would Fedex have cost?
Plus just look at the route this thing is taking.

Tracking History

May 3, 2019, 11:55 am Departed BANGKOK, THAILAND Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, BANGKOK, THAILAND on May 3, 2019 at 11:55 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. May 2, 2019, 10:45 pm Departed ZURICH, SWITZERLAND April 30, 2019, 7:20 pm Departed CHICAGO, UNITED STATES April 29, 2019, 4:04 pm Arrived CHICAGO, UNITED STATES April 29, 2019, 5:15 am Processed Through Regional Facility CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER  April 29, 2019, 5:14 am Arrived at Regional Facility CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER  April 28, 2019 In Transit to Next Facility April 24, 2019, 9:48 pm Departed USPS Regional Facility NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER  April 24, 2019, 9:46 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER  April 24, 2019, 8:31 pm Accepted at USPS Origin Facility HOUSTON, TX 77043  April 24, 2019, 11:08 am Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending HOUSTON, TX 77043  April 24, 2019, 8:18 am Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item HOUSTON, TX 77043 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Just one of the costs of "doing business" in Thailand. It is costly to move money and goods in and out of the country.  I never used to use regular postal mail, but the last 2-3 years it has been quite reliable, not much longer than your experience (which I assume is International Priority or Express Mail?). 

Henry

• View Profile

My daughter used to send my credit cards by fed-ex. Just over $100 for one card!

The mail has been more reliable lately as Rex mentioned, so now she sends the cards regular mail inside a greeting card. So far got them all.

fceligoj

• View Profile
I use my sister's address as my mailing address.

If I need something brought over, I try to find someone who is coming from the States, have my sister send the item(s) to them by Priority Mail, and they then bring it to Thailand.

The only thing I ever sent from the States was some Sterling Silver and did it by USPS International Express Mail.  Put $500 value on it and it took 2-3 days to get here and I had to go in and pay about 200 baht customs duty.  Cost about $60.  Well worth it.  This was about 3 years ago.  I think USPS is charging quite a bit more now.

kowpot

• View Profile
Frank,
That's all well and good. But, my sister lives in a different state than I. Would probably look funny to the DMV, having my drivers license sent from Texas to New Hampshire.

I don't know anyone that is coming over here.  So  that is not an option.

So I guess I am just stuck paying the higher cost. The good thing though. I use a mail forwarding service for most of my mail, so I can see what it is before deciding that I need it. Most of it, I can just scan and print if need be.   Que Sera, Sera