Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: New train station  (Read 156 times)

Henry

• View Profile
New train station
« on: March 29, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »

I stopped in to check out the new train station last week. It looks very nice, clean and looks VERY expensive. I guess it will do everything you want a train station to do. But, I noticed right away, I missed the old station. The old station was worn and dirty, but it had character.

Maybe this station is better and I'm just an old man thinking about "The good old days" and wishing I could relive my youth. Anyway, good luck to the new station.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: New train station
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
Thanks for the report, Henry. 

So, do they still have the old choo-choos running on the ground?  What is the elevated platform? Will that replace the old choo-choos, or is is a different system?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »
I paced it out and it's 500m long!!!

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
The elevated tracks In KK are meant to eliminate grade level crossings (traffic congestion). The rail system from Korat (Jira) to KK is now double track meaning times and safety should be improved between these terminuses. According to SRT, in Khon Kaen the current, ground-level tracks will not be immediately dismantled. They are to be used for temporary transportation of train fuel and to ease unloading processes (whatever that means). As far as I know no new rolling stock (train cars) are scheduled for the near term future.  Same old intercity system but with new and better tracks and of course new stations hear and elswhere between Korat and here. Meanwhile double tracking projects are still going on elsewhere in Thailand. Eventually almost the entire (current) intercity routes will be double tracks and new intercity routes to the east and in the north will be constructed if all goes according to plan.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:03:54 AM by avvocato »