Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand  (Read 1142 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum

TNA reported that Thai Immigration are proposing much stiffer penalties for failing to report foreigners staying at addresses in Thailand.

Laws dating back to 1979 are not sufficient in the modern day especially when it comes to reporting the whereabouts of foreigners. They are considered to be too lenient . . .

Read the complete story on ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2CD753P

fceligoj

• View Profile
It is going to make the reporting by the landlord of residence much stricter throughout the country.  AND then that falls back on the foreign renter to make sure his landlord does the responsible thing.  So again the farang is put in the middle.

Right now I am on a 7-day trip to South Thailand and when I get back, my wife and I will have to go to the Royal Thai police at the immigration office within 24 hours of returning to register my staying at her house again.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
I hear North Korea is nice this time of year!

LungBing

• View Profile
And I bet their immigration are more friendly.

fceligoj

• View Profile
My wife and I went to the Immigration Police Window at the Immigration Office at Bus Station #3 to complete the process for Form 30.

She ask them if she is required to come to the office in person or were there other means.

1.  One can submit Form 30 with the appropriate supporting documents by mail, or

2.  The home owner or landloard can go online, set up a User ID and Password so as to establish an account to submit the required Form 30.

I asked them if the online system was now usable to do this and was told yes.  So if you get your wife or gf or landlord to do it online, it should be a very easy operation whenever you leave the province and return.  As we have seen on Thaivisa newsletters, the Immigration Department is coming down hard on hotels and other temporary residences to submit Form 30s, which means if you stay somewhere outside the province, either a hotel or resort, you need to have a new Form 30 submitted once back in Khon Kaen, or the foreigner may be at fault.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Why would the foreigner be a fault when it is the responsibility of the owner/agent to file the form?

TerryLH

• View Profile
"Why would the foreigner be a fault when it is the responsibility of the owner/agent to file the form?"

Low hanging fruit.

kowpot

• View Profile
How many people notify their landlord or house owner that they have gone somewhere for a couple of days? I know I never have. Never thought it was any of their business.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Indeed!  And it is highly unlikely that a landlord is going to report to Imm that they have a family of Jews hiding in their attic!

fceligoj

• View Profile

You all are absolutely correct.  So, this is what was explained to my wife.  If the foreigner leaves for several days and checks into a hotel/resort, etc, the hotel/resort owner (in a perfect world), submits the information to immigration of the farang staying at their facility.  The farang leaves and goes back to his 'permanent' residence in Thailand.  BUT DOES NOT INFORM THE LANDLORD/OWNER THAT HE IS BACK.

Who is at fault?  Come to your own conclusions, but IMM says it is the fault of the foreigner of not informing the landlord/owner that he left and had now returned.  All this is surmised that the hotel/resort informs IMM of the farang staying in their facility.

It is no different than when you go on a trip to somewhere outside the province with wife/gf (from her residence), and when you come back she goes to IMM to submit a Form 30.

But it is all your own decision of what you plan on doing!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
As always, I continue to do my ongoing cost-benefit-analysis of remaining in Thailand. I find ways to "rationalize" the stupid stuff I don't like. I don't complain (much) and I don't support or participate in witless  "Thailand bashing." However, this TM30 business (especially as it pertains to accommodations other than hotels) is draconian and insane!  I have lived and worked in China three times, and one does not have to do this kind of reporting!

This doesn't even impact me personally in any significant way. I am a good boy. I follow the rules for the most part. Moreover, I suspect that to get caught out for not complying with the TM30 bullshit would be a one-in-a-million fluke.

Having said that, there is nothing about being in Thailand the disturbs more more than this.  While my allusions to North Korea and Jews in the attic are admittedly lurid, they capture the spirit of the thing, as far as I am concerned.

Panama and Costa Rica are looking better all the time.

Savannah20

• View Profile
fceligoj
I tried to complete the online TM30 process and did not get very far. It wont let me put in the complete address of the house we live in and those fields are mandatory.

Did anyone else give it a try?

Dave G

Savannah20

• View Profile
Update: Address was accepted when written in Thai and I submitted the form successfully according to the popup message received. Now I wait for an email also according to a popup message received. Time will tell.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Thanks for keeping us updated about this Savannah.  Do let us know if it worked.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
What if you own a condo? Do you file a TM30 as the owner reporting yourself as the slimy foreigner living in your house?