Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Glue/adhesive to stick future board to styrofoam board?  (Read 294 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Glue/adhesive to stick future board to styrofoam board?
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
I want to securely stick sheets of future board to sheets of styrofoam board. I saw on the internet a product "Glidden Glider." Although it is actually a primer paint, in comparison tests on Youtube, seems to be the very best/strongest adhesive for sticking sheets of styrofoam together.  Has anyone seen this in Thailand?  I can't find it online. Gorilla Glue came in a close second, which have in Thailand.  There is also hot glue. But I like the idea of Glidden Glider so as to completely cover the surfaces of the future board snd the styrofoam board.

I wonder if Glidden is something special or if other primers have this sticky property as well?

Any info?

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Glue/adhesive to stick future board to styrofoam board?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
I haven't seen much in the way of American paints here other than Cuprinol and Rustoleum. I wish the did have Glidden. Its a very good paint. Maybe you could send them a message on their website and see if they have a distributor in Thailand.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »
Tanks RetFed.  I was just surprised to see Glidden used as an adhesive.  I wonder if other primers have they same sticky quality or if there is something special about Glidden. Plenty of primers available at HomePro, et al.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
Another suggestion, buy a caulking gun and tubes of liquid nails.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
Tks. Frank.  Silicone caulk might provide better coverage than stuff like Gorilla Glue which is not meant for large surfaces. What are "liquid nails?"

Below is a video comparing various adhesives.  The woman is gluing styrofoam to styrofoam, not to future board, but the results might be the same. That Glidden Gripper is the hands-down winner.  Since it doesn't seem to be available in Thailand, the 6r Baht Question is: Is there something special about the Glidden Gripper, or are there other primers/sealers (available in Thailand) that have the same sticky quality???[/szie]

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I sent you an email, Rex, with a picture.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »
UPDATE

Assuming anyone is interested, I experimented sticking future board to styrofoam using two substances. The first normal white latex Elmer's type glue.  The second, just a thick coat of the ordinary latex wall paint I will be using to paint the fb.  After 24 hours, surprisingly, the paint stuck as well or better than the glue!  That's good as cheap and much easier to apply.  Pulling the pieces apart, the paint was still a little bit wet, so maybe one week to completely dry. The bond is not going to hold against someone trying to pull it apart, but these partitions are not going  to experience much stress or wear and tear, and I think the bond is plenty good for what we need. Obviously there is nothing magic about Glidden Grabber (gripper?), but maybe using a primer would produce an even better seal than the regular latex.

Never a dull moment in Khonkaenville!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »
COOL!