Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Renewing a 5 year driving license in Meuang Khon Kaen  (Read 192 times)

LungBing

• View Profile
Renewing a 5 year driving license in Meuang Khon Kaen
« on: January 06, 2019, 07:32:00 PM »
Has anybody recently renewed a 5 year car driving license in Meuang Khon Kaen? If so please could you tell me the documents required.  Thanks very much.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
Re: Renewing a 5 year driving license in Meuang Khon Kaen
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
That stupid non-Thai pink is not accepted as proof of address.

A medical is no longer required.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:01:32 PM »
Last Friday my wife and I were in town so we popped over to the driving license centre to ask.  The very first thing he mentioned was a medical form which even their own website says is not necessary for a 5 year to 5 year renewal.  No consistency, rules made up on the spot.  We are going tomorrow and I'll report back.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:54 AM »
Last Friday my wife and I were in town so we popped over to the driving license centre to ask.  The very first thing he mentioned was a medical form which even their own website says is not necessary for a 5 year to 5 year renewal.  No consistency, rules made up on the spot.  We are going tomorrow and I'll report back.

Both my wife and I did it last month, no medical needed.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:21 AM »
If it is any consolation,  you should be able to get a medical form for a few baht without  muss-and -fuss from from most any doc-in-the-box on Klang Muang.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:53 PM »
We arrived at 12.30.  At 12.50 they took our paperwork.  First you need an application form which are on a bench immediately on your left as you enter building 3.  This form just needs your name and today's date.  It has a number of boxes on it for the officials to tick as you pass through the whole process.At 1pm at desk number 1 a lady took my paperwork.  I gave her my expiring driving license, original passport and a copy of the id page and the latest visa page.  She highlighted the date of the visa expiry and the passport number. I gave her a copy of my yellow tabien baan but she didn't seem interested and just asked my wife if we still lived at the address on the expiring license, which we do.   No mention of the medical form which I had just in case.  No mention of a police/immigration report.  She  gave us the paperwork back and a card with a number on it and the time 1300 to 1400 which is the video time. She then send us upstairs.First into a room with three machines of sorts.  First put your nose up against a guide and she lights  a red or yellow or green light to the side which you have to see with your peripheral vision.  Secondly sit in a chair and press a pedal with your right foot.  After a few seconds a light comes on up a scale and you must asap press another pedal.  That checks your reaction time.  Then she points to red or yellow or green on a circle made up of coloured dots.  Finally a depth of vision test where  there are two white pegs in a box.  she pulls the left one back and with a control box you must move it forward until it is as close as possible to being level with the other one.  Before these tests she gave me a little folder explaining them in English.Next into another room for a little pep talk in Thai and she put on a very loud safety film which lasted about 35 minutes.    After that downstairs and when your name is called check  your details on a form before they are put on you license card and sign to acknowledge them.  Pay your money (555 baht for me) and sit down and wait for the photographer.  He was very efficient and 5 minutes later I have a new license good for 5 more years.
Sorry to have waffled on but I hope it helps someone.  This was Muang Khon Kaen near Sala Klang.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, I need to do mine in a few weeks.
Can you do it early or does it have to be on the expire date?

Sunset from my bedroom window

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »
Mine was 5 days early.  You get a 5 year license plus the time upto your next birthday.
I have heard of , but wouldn't be happy about trying myself, going the day after your old license  expires so you get 5 years plus the 364 days until your next birthday.
How early you can renew?  There is probably an official date, but This Is Thailand, so who knows.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »

I usually go about a month after my license expires and I'm good for 6 years. I've heard you have 1 year after expiation to renew.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »

I usually go about a month after my license expires and I'm good for 6 years. I've heard you have 1 year after expiation to renew.

I like the idea of the extra time, but I wonder how that would go if you had to claim on your car insurance, for an accident during the time you don't officially have a license?

Sunset from my bedroom window