Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thai Immigration new requirements retirement, marriage extensions  (Read 453 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Thai Immigration new requirements retirement, marriage extensions
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

Terry, 1 - how hard is to get a one year O-A Visa today?  Secondly, how often can you renew an O-A Visa before they say no more?  I see you can extend it for 3 months before the expiration date.

If you look at the SiamLegal site on 1 year O-A Visas, there are some qualifiers.  Unless they are 'blowing smoke', some of the issues presented are harder than the Retirement Extension.  I had read somewhere you may have to meet certain financial criteria.

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/1-Year-Thailand-Visa.php

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:53 PM »
I see it also says, "[font=]However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel"[/font]

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
It used to be that the bank letter certifying bank deposits and ending balance cost about 500 baht.  It has been a long time since I had to get one so maybe the cost has gone up.
For my visa extensions I've always used the 800,000 baht method. Bangkok Bank was only charging 100 baht for their certification/deposit letter past three years. I probably will be changing over to the monthly income method now. My SSA gets deposited to BBK automatically from SSA, every month, anyway.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:24 PM »
"I see it also says, "[font=]However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel"[/font]"

That info is talking about a multiple entry Non O Visa, not a Non O-A Visa.

A Non O-A Visa can only be obtained in your home country, and requires a police report, a medical certificate and I think money in your bank. 
The money at that point does not have to be in a Thai bank.  That is only required for extensions at immigration.

An O-A is good for 1 year, and gives a one year permission to stay for each entry.  If you enter just before the Visa expires, not the permission to stay, you can get almost 2 years out of it. 
The second year, after the actual visa has expired, will require a re-entry permit if you leave and want to return and keep the permission to stay alive.
I've read of people getting back to back Non O-A Visas without a problem.  How many you can get - I don't know.

A Non O multiple entry is good for 1 year, and gives you 90 days for each entry.  If you enter just prior to it expiring, you can get almost 15 months out of it.  But you do have to leave at 90 days unless you get an extension from immigration.
Extensions would be for 1 year for the reason of retirement or marriage, 60 days to visit a Thai spouse.

It is also possible to get 7 days extension.  The actual extension is denied, but they will give you 7 days to leave the country.
Each extension at immigration costs 1900 baht.

Hope that helps someone.
Terry

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
Thanks again, Terry.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
Thanks, Terry.  Sounds like Siam Legal does not want to recognize the Non-O-A Visa.  It probably is not in their best interests for a person to have one.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »

Terry, I went on this website to check it out.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Here is the opening sentence.

Non-Immigrant Visa  O-A (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »
I just saw this and thought the extra details might interest some.

Terry

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1077829-o-a-visa-from-thai-embassy-washington-dc-report-jan-2019/?utm_source=newsletter-20190112-1342&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news&_fromLogin=1

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
They Embassy suggests that the visa application not be sent in "too early".  The reason is, they enter a "Valid From" date of the date they receive the application and a "Valid Until" date of 1 year after that."

I fell foul of that one with my now expired one from London.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:25:01 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1078398-report-successful-retirement-extension-using-monthly-income-no-consul-letter/

This sounds promising.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

You may want to read this on the possible 10-year retirement extensions and no 90 day report being pushed by Big Joke.  Big Joke was interviewed.  The information of interest is near the end of the article.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2019/01/16/superstar-cop-big-joke-on-his-rise-and-plans-for-expats-visas/