Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Thai Immigration new requirements retirement, marriage extensions  (Read 5743 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Thai immigration reveals new requirements for retirement, marriage extensions (visas)
ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2TwheFf

Thai mmigration have confirmed the new requirements for foreigners when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement, marriage or being a parent to a Thai child.

The updated requirements, seen by Thaivisa, are detailed in a national police order dated 26 December 2018 and signed by immigration chief Lt Gen Surachet Hakparn.

An unofficial translation of the updated requirements are as follows:

2.18 In the case of family member (mother, father, male or female spouse, child, adopted child or child of spouse) with Thai nationality. Can be authorized for not more than 1 year.

Process

Evidence of annual income that equates to no less than B40,000 per month of alien father, mother or spouse such as.

1.       Tax receipts of the supporting relative. (Presumably Thai tax receipts for a foreigner working in Thailand supporting foreign spouse, parent or child, e.g. you have a Thai wife and support your mother or non-Thai child from a previous marriage living in Thailand).

2.       Evidence of a pension. Letter of certification from a Thai bank supported by bank statements showing a pension being transferred to the pensioner’s bank account every month for at least 12 months. Exceptions are allowed for those who have been retired for less than one year – example given.

3.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

For retirement extensions of no more than 1 year evidence of average monthly income of B65,000 is required.

1.       Evidence of pension. Same as 2 above,

2.       Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.

The changes are that applicants must be able to show income going into a Thai bank account and that income proof from an embassy (providing your embassy still issues income letters) will still be accepted.

The document is the first official confirmation from Thai immigration regarding the aforementioned extensions of stay (more commonly referred to as retirement and marriage visas) after it was announced in October that several embassies including those of the UK, Australia and United States, would no longer be issuing income letters or affidavits to expats in Thailand.

The income letters had been used by expats to confirm their income when applying for a retirement or marriage extension.

The embassies announced they would stop issuing the letters in January 2019 because Thai immigration wanted them to start officially verifying the income of everyone applying for the letter.

An unconfirmed report submitted by Thaivisa member bkk6060 stated that immigration are likely to offer some leeway to foreigners with regards to submitting 12 months worth of statements for the first applications under the new requirements.

However, from 2020 applicants will need to make sure they are able to show a full 12 months worth of income coming to a Thai bank account.

This infographic from the British Embassy Bangkok details how to open a bank account in Thailand. The requirements for opening a Bangkok in Thailand are likely to be the same for most foreign nationals, although individual branches may require additional documentation.

A certified version in English of the new requirements will be posted on Thaivisa shortly.

Many thanks to Tod Daniels, Arkady, Ubon Joe and BadBanker for the information.

ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2TwheFf

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Thai Immigration new requirements retirement, marriage extensions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
There is no mention of the 400K/800K on deposit.  In the discussion on TV, people interpret this omission in two possible ways. 1. That the 400K/800K deposit remains unchanged, or 2. that the 400K/800K is no longer an option. 

Surfer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
To quote ubonjoe (TV Global Moderator and co author of the TV thread) Post #6:-

The amendment only mentions changes to income option. No changes for the money in the bank or the combination option.

The Police Order has not yet been published on the WWW but I can only assume that ubonjoe has had access to it, being a well respected authority on all Visa matters.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:14:05 PM by Surfer »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »
Watch out Surfer!  Next they will be coming for you  . . . and your little cigar too!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »

[font=&amp]"Nothing in Thailand is Ever Cast in Concrete, So Take This Information with a Grain of Salt."[/font][/b]

[font=&amp][/size]Once I saw the notification on ThaiVisa that an official translation of the new directive was avilable, decided to go to Khon Kaen Immigration and speak to a supervisor there on their direction to implement.  We (my wife and I) had an excellent conversation with the supervisor.  They will be implementing this direction.[/font]

[font=&amp][/size][/font]
  • [font=&amp][/size]
     They will accept a copy of your bank book where on the average for the 12 months prior to your request for an extension is 65,000 baht for retirement (40,000 baht for family.)  This is as long as the monies being transferred into the account are identified as "International Transfers."  Domestic transfers do not meet the criteria.  They would prefer that in each month at least the 65,000 or the 40,000 baht respectively can be seen as transferred for that month.
    [/font]

[font=&amp][/size]2. They also require a letter from the bank where the specific savings account (or other type of account) certifying the transfers being made.[/font]
 [font=&amp][/size]3.  All the other normal paperwork has to be submitted at usual.[/font]
 [font=&amp][/size]There is one exception.  If the individual has just recently retired prior to requesting an extension, it has to shown that for at least the three months prior to the request for extension, the correct funds (International Transfers) have to be identified in the account and the letter from the bank certifying said amounts.[/font]

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
The request for a letter from the bank certifying the transfers made, is this a standard form the bank will have or something they just produce as required by the goofy falang?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »
Probably the later, unless Imm makes the effort to educate the banks. If Imm doesn't do that, possibly they could provide official instructions in Thai we could give to the bank.  Even then, I suspect it will be a year or three before the banks fold it into their standard procedures and don't look confused when a request is made.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »

Savannah, your guess is as good as mine.  Trying to ask the supervisor about the letter from the bank, I got a non-answer.

Prior to this meeting, I had to go to Bangkok Bank to fix a transfer I made from one BBL account to another (my direct deposit account) which does not allow you to do any online transfers out.  So while I was there, I asked them to provide me a copy of the transactions in my savings account.  Cost me 100 baht.

When I went to IMM, I showed her the transaction list and her comment was, "This is exactly what we need plus a letter from the bank."  She also asked if she could keep a copy and use it as an example of their requirements, which of course, I did.  (Need as many friends at IMM as you can have!)

I expect the letter form the bank is similar as what is provided when using the 400,000/800,000 baht approach for seasoned money.

Rex, I took the English copy of the directive and the bank manager was not interested in the English version.  As normal, knows very little English.  Maybe if a copy of the directive in Thai would work.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
If this new bank requirement letter proves to be correct, those of us who have been paying the American Embassy $50.00 annually for the income letter will save a little money as I sure the bank letter will be a great deal less.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
It used to be that the bank letter certifying bank deposits and ending balance cost about 500 baht.  It has been a long time since I had to get one so maybe the cost has gone up.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »

Can anyone confirm or refute that having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is sufficient in itself and would need no further info about income?
Ta.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
Screamer, so it is not someone's assumption, why don't you go with your significant other to Immigration and ask to talk to a supervisor.  At least then you should get a straight answer without an intermediary.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »

Because I don't have a significant other!
It would be for retirement or going for longer than 3 months on a multi-entry O-A visa.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
An O-A visa is good for a year for each entry, not 90 days.  No money in a Thai bank required.

For a permission to stay based on retirement, 800k is required in a Thai bank.
All the info that has come out recently refers to the income route only, not the money in the bank, which at this time has not changed.
Terry

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »

Thanks Terry  smiley32

I had no idea that an O-A visa gave me a full year in Thailand without having to do the 90 day renewal.