Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: New laptop  (Read 141 times)

Henry

• View Profile
New laptop
« on: December 28, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »

A little over 4 years ago, I bought my first laptop. It didn't come with windows, so they sent me to a shop to buy a Windows 8 disc, and they installed it for me. A couple of years later they did the free upgrade to Windows 10 for me.

Google says a laptop is good for 3-5 years. Mine is acting up lately, so I may need to buy a new one soon.

I would like to know if I buy a new laptop, can I use the windows disc I still have, or transfer Windows from the old laptop to the new one?  ( I'm guessing the answer is no.) Also, is it better to buy a Windows disc and install it, or should I buy a laptop with Windows already installed?

russell17au

• View Profile
Re: New laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »

Henry, first off I have 2 laptops here with me, one is a Compaq Preserio which had Windows 7 on it but it was upgraded to Windows 10 back in Australia when Windows 10 was first released as an update and it is about 10 years old and the other is a HP 250 with Windows 10 and it is about 6 years old. Both of these laptops were bought in Australia before I moved to Thailand over 5 years ago, The only problem that I have had with both these laptops has been with the internet connection which was not actually the laptop but the service provider problem, so before you go racing off and buying a new laptop I would suggest that you go to a service centre and have your laptop looked at.
As for your windows disc, I am not sure about that as I cannot remember how many computers you can use that disc and license for. I do not know about here in Thailand but in Australia when I did the upgrade to windows 10 I think it was a license for 2 computers but I am not sure.
Good luck, Henry.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
Unless you think there is a substantial financial issue involved, why not just buy a laptop with Win 10 and other stuffs preinstalled? I reckon that most of the laptops you buy at Tuckom will come with preinstalled software.

If you don't want to do that, and buy a "virgin" laptop, you can use your installation disk assuming you have the original 8 digit serial number (product key).

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »

I am wondering out loud, but if you have an installation disc that allows only one user, then you may have removed your Windows Office.  Windows 10 is just a shell and you can get that done at Tukcom when you get your new machine.

If you are like me, I'd take my new computer to the J-Net Service Center (down the street from Tukcom) and have them remove and re-install on the new machine.  They can re-install all your other apps too plus all your data files/folders.  May cost you 300 baht.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
One other thing that I would suggest Henry is to also buy an external drive and keep all your files backed up on it so that if anything does happen with your laptop then you will not lose any of your files and folders and it is just simply copy all your files and folders from the external drive to your laptop

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Good info for when I'm ready for a new machine. For now, the laptop works ok. It's like an old car. Lots of quirks that only the owner knows about and can operate.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Yes, Henry, we are like old cars and we do have a few quirks that only we know about and know how to operate. Have a Happy New Year

mrpunch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:25 PM »
With that age of laptop there may not be a need to replace it completely.  The first thing I'd do is replace the hard drive with an SSD.  You can get the system copied directly over by "cloning" your existing drive.  It may also be worthwhile putting in more RAM if possible.  Couple this with a general system clean up and you'll probably find the difference in speed astounds you.
Is my identity my own?
Why does anybody feel the need to f**k with it??