Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Please get treated if you are bitten by a feral animal!  (Read 373 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Please get treated if you are bitten by a feral animal!
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
A freak thing happened last week.  While riding my bicycle, unseen, a dog came up behind me on my left and chomped on my calf just above the ankle. It took several seconds to even process what had just happened, and by that time I was gone and the dog was gone.  It was not significantly painful or bloody, so I cleaned the wound and decided to wait to see how bad it was. Bad idea!  I was in some kind of state of stupidity or something.  After Fon urged me to get treatment, I researched rabies on the internet and it is not very pretty!  Here is what I learned:

1. Rabies is common among stray dogs and cats in Thailand.
2. Once symptoms emerge in humans, the disease is virtually always fatal.
3. The incubation period--usually a couple of weeks--may in fact vary from a few days to several years!

So that means even if you have no symptoms, you could be walking around for years with a time-bomb inside you waiting to go off.

I knew most of that stuff already and went through this with a serious cat bite six years ago.  Anyway, came to my senses and went to RAM and got tetanus and rabies injections, and returned today for one final rabies shot.  I understand that is is not costly of you go to gov hospital.  This course of treatment for me at RAM was a little less than B4,000.

A final bit of irony. I was under the impression that my BOOPA (not Aetna) coverage only applied if I am checked into a hospital.  I discovered too late that I also have accident coverage which includes animal bites .... BUT you have to present your sorry ass for treatment within 24 hours of the incident.  So, if I had attended to this right away, it would have been a freebie.  Been paying BOOPA for 8 years and never taken a setang back from them.  Oh, well! 

MORAL OF STORY ... IF YOU ARE BITTEN BY A STRANGE ANIMAL, GET VACCINATED FOR RABIES IMMEDIATELY.  IF YOU ARE BROKE, GO TO A GOV HOSPITAL.

Realist

• View Profile
Re: Please get treated if you are bitten by a feral animal!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »

Quote from: Rex sez:
IF YOU ARE BROKE, GO TO A GOV HOSPITAL.

Should have read: IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO THROW AWAY, GO TO A PRIVATE HOSPITAL.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:45:24 PM by Rex (Admin) »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 02:26:16 PM »

4000 baht is a ridiculous price. I got mine done at Bumrungrad (albeit many years ago) for a fraction of that price.

I got a booster this summer but still not sure what the protocol is now if I get bitten.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »

No, it shouldn't have said that.  We would not want anyone to avoid treatment because they were lacking in funds.

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »

No, it shouldn't have said that.  We would not want anyone to avoid treatment because they were lacking in funds.

I ain't broke, but I wouldn't go anywhere near the RAM.
As it is about 20 times the price of a shot in a Government Hospital, it is extortion, unless the shot given in RAM has a special formula !

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
I am not defending anything or being argumentative for the sake of it. However, RAM and Bangkok Hosp don't seem to have any shortage of customers, both Thai and falang, and from what I understand, you can't even get near the new Rathaput it is so busy.