Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: polybard ?  (Read 336 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
polybard ?
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
Do HomePro or the other big box stores have polyboard (poly board), also called polyester board or EPS foam board. Is it called something else in Thailand?

Tks, lah!

russell17au

• View Profile
Re: polybard ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
Rex, what are you after? polyester boards is different to EPS foam board. EPS foam is white in colour and is used for packaging in cartons for damage protection which is the same as styrofoam and it comes in various sizes and thickness. polyester board is a sound absorbing board that is used to line sound studios and it comes in various sizes and thickness. Polyethyline board is the boards of corrugated plastic sheets that you will see different signs made from and it comes in various sizes and colours but it is normally only about 1/4" thick.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
Thanks, Russell.  Complicated, ain't it?  I just want to make a simple and easy-to-move-around background for shooting videos. Actually, what I want is "polyboard" but when I asked Homepro call center, they didn't know what I was referring to.  Here is a video worth watching just for the cute girl!

http://bit.ly/2Fgv38G

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
OK, Rex, that looks like styrofoam in the video but the big problem with that stuff is that it breaks easy and makes a mess everywhere unless it is sealed with a lining on each side. It is the same product that is used to make the protection edges in the cartons of electric products. I have to go to Thai Watsadu in the next couple of days and I will have a look and see what they have that would be suitable for you.  I know that photography has change a lot over the years but what I use to use for head and shoulder shots was a portable movie screen that rolls up and I used to hang it on the wall but I don't even think that you can get them anymore. I'll let you know what I find.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »
Hi Rex, I was at Thai Watsadu yesterday afternoon but I did not see any sheets of styrofoam anywhere there, what i did see was some 8'x4' plastic sheeting that is used to make signs, it is the same construction as the cardboard cartons and about the same thickness but it is flexible so you would need to make a light weight frame for it. But I will keep my eyes open for you and if I see any styrofoam I will let you know.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
Thanks a million Russell.  We were at Homepro and another place yesterday, and they just don't have the stuff or anything similar or anything that might work in the way we want.  No biggie, but the video made polyboard seem like such a normal, common-place sort of product.  Surprising that it is so completely off the radar in Thailand. 

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
Hi, Rex, There is a small place that sells cartons in Maliwan Road opposite the old bus terminal, they may be able to help you. It must be available because they are making those styro foam cooler boxes and I have seen some of the fishermen around the local ponds with pieces about 4' square and about 6" thick so there must be some around somewhere. If I come across any I will let you know.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Rex, I just stumbled across this and I thought that maybe if you contact them they may be able to put you onto someone here in Khon Kaen.www.thaifoamgroup.com/index.php/productThey have a place in Nakhon RatchasimaBest I can do for you at this stage mate. Good luck

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Thanks very much Russell.  I'll check it out.  The polyboard idea just seemed like an elegant, low-skill, cheap way to get what I want. However, there are lots of ways to do photography and video backdrops that we are playing with. My newest hair-brained schem is to use one of those polyester-fabric shower curtains.  They are light weight, the perfect size, super-cheap and come in all kidns of images and patterns,  $5-$10 from China.  So, inexpensive to replace after the cats destroy them, and can readily change the mood of a video by changing the backdrop.  Anyway, that's what's on the drawing board today.  Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 10:18:04 PM »
Rex, I was going home yesterday and I went past a small sign shop near King Kong restaurant in Ban Pet and they were cutting a sheet of styrofoam to make pictures and letters on signs. Maybe if you are going past any sign making shop you could call in and ask them if they have it for sale or maybe they will tell you where you can get it from. Remember you are in Thailand and it is called "styrofoam" and not "polyboard". If I get a chance I will stop and ask at the shop where I saw them working with it.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 06:53:35 AM »
Thanks, Russell.