Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit  (Read 3173 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
Fri 26 Oct 2018, 11:51 am

From : American Citizens Services Bangkok <acsbkk@state.gov>
Subject :  Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit

U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit
October 26, 2018
Bangkok, THAILAND

As of January 1, 2019, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will cease to provide the income affidavit for the purpose of applying for Thai retirement and family visas and will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit.  The Royal Thai Government requires actual verification of income to certify visa applicants meet financial requirements for long-stay visas.  The U.S. government cannot provide this verification and will no longer issue the affidavits.

Please consult the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. and Royal Thai Immigration Bureau websites for information on how to meet the requirements for a Thai retirement visa or extension. 

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: U.S. Mission in Thailand to Cease Providing Income Affidavit
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »

Talk about no assistance!  They should at least provide a seminar during the Outreach Program on how to proceed if there is any other way than putting 400,000 or 800,000 in a Thai Bank for 3 months seasoning to provide an 'adequate income' justification for approving an extension (marriage or retirement respectively.)  I for one, do not have those kind of funds just laying around when I have more than enough monthly income to meet the requirements.

I can see the reaction from the Social Security Administration IF you requested a certified letter from them defining your monthly income!  My previous company which I have a good monthly pension offers to send a letter to whomever you say requires a certified document of monthly income, AS LONG AS IT IS DOMESTIC!

If there is no other way than the bank account deposit, I'll have to go with changing from a retirement extension to a marriage extension and the pain in the ass requirements of getting one. 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
On the positive side, at least for some, the Embassy will be issuing affidavits for the remainder of 2018, so some will be able to postpone dealing with the problem for another year.  Fortunately, I got my affidavit in July and my renewal is in December.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
There is already a long thread about this on ThaiVisa.com http://bit.ly/2CGjjcx

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »
Is the Outreach Program in danger of coming to an end?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
The last couple of outreaches in KKC have had more than 100 expats. I wonder what were the majority of services provided?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »

My sentiments exactly as Rex and Savannah20.  I had to go to Udorn when I could not get to the one in Khon Kaen in 2016.  I thought they had way over a 100.

Of at least $50 a pop, it paid for their trips to all the Outreach locations.  Gave the Consular Section stuff to do while in Thailand.

Did you ever think of preparing a memo "To Whom It May Concern" mimicking quite a bit of the information in the "Thai approved" Income Statement that the Embassy had prepared, but keeping out of the "certification" description?  Then having the Embassy Notarize your signature, not the content, just like any notary public does.  You could then attach the letter from Social Security and any other pension plan letter which you could reference in the memo the amounts in the pension letters.

Your could also put the disclaimer in the memo about not perjuring yourself.

Or you could have a Thai lawyer who is a notary stamp it as your name is correct as in your Passport.

Just a thought.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
I have no "sentiments."  I was merely wondering how many expats attend outreach for an affidavit letter as opposed to other services.

As to how to provide proof of income to Imm, everything is speculation until Imm actually defines what they want, and then get several reports form expats about how that is actually playing out on the ground.

Politically this is interesting. No reports that Imm will not accept affidavits as proof of income. Rather that two embassies so far will no longer provide the affidavits.  So, Thai gov contacted embassies and persuaded or prevailed on them to stop providing a service which they have been providing for decades, and the embassies decided to comply.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 08:50:05 AM »
My buddy in Udon created an Income Statement form and gave it to immigration in Udon to think about. They said Khon Kaen immigration "rules" the northeast. Is there an immigration office north of Khon Kaen? Other than the one where we do our 90 day reports etc.

I tried to attach the form he created to this message but it exceeds the 128K file size limit, it is 250K.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
Savannah20, put it on the Facebook page for the Forum!

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
Savannah20, all the North East is controlled by the Division 4 Headquarters that is located on the left hand side of the highway heading north from Khon Kaen. If you are travelling south there is a sign on the highway for you to do a u-turn and it is a large grey building. It controls Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and Nong Khai that I know of but will soon also control the new immigration offices as they open.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
I think it is too soon.  I doubt they are prepared for this. They are going to begin running into situations they have no answers for, and so as to not lose face, will make up some bullshit on the spur of the moment that will move the situation beyond the initial awkwardness.  Then, when a bunch of these starts happening and the confusion become too inconvenient, the gov will come up with "something" which probably no one will like.

Perhaps I am too cynical?  Or maybe I have just been around too long?

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
The biggest problem I see is the verification of the income documents. With a government pension it is easy to verify but I see the problem is with the verification of the private pensions and those that are living off interest from investments. There needs to be some system that the embassy can have the applicant supply verification of their private pension documents. If this spreads to other countries then there will be a lot of both Brits and Americans returning to their home country. Many people do not want to have a large amount of their cash in a Thai bank, so why not do the combined bank account and income for the retirement extension that way you do not need as much in the Thai bank. Example: government pension = 530,000B so place 300,000B in a Thai bank account and there is your 800,000B required for your retirement extension so the embassy needs to start supplying the letter of income with the verified proof of the government pension. I believe the American citizens here in Thailand need to go to the American Embassy and get them to change their system to one that is acceptable to the Thai Immigration, as I do not believe that Thailand should change its immigration rules for anyone. No other country would change their immigration rules to suit a small number of people. I can get my government pension documents authenticated at the Australian embassy and put them with my Australian government statutory declaration and there is my verified income, maybe a delegation needs to go to the American Embassy with some ideas on what ways the income verification can be done.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Thai Imm to show leniency re income proof marriage-retirement extensions.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
Wed 23 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2RXCR4t

Thai immigration has confirmed it will show some leniency to foreigners with regards to proving income when applying for retirement and marriage extensions.

In an order dated 22nd December, Immigration chief Police Lieutenant General Surachet Hakpal, acknowledges that some applicants may have difficulty in providing the now required 12 months worth of bank statements.

Where this is the case, the Pol Lt. Gen Hakpal has instructed immigration officers that from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2019 they have discretion to accept evidence of less than 12 monthly transfers from overseas.

The applicants given leniency in this way are to be told by the officers that this is a one-off exemption and that their applications for the next renewal will not be accepted without a complete set of documents according to the order.

A translated version of the order No. 0029.173/Wor can be found below:

ThaiVisa.com => http://bit.ly/2RXCR4t

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 06:03:25 PM »
Looks like many are "saved by the Bell", just like in boxing