Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York  (Read 8208 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2019, 08:23:46 PM »
Rex, on taking longer with the manual intervention on TransferWise transfers, here is what I wrote in this thread earlier,

At 2100 hours, on the 5th of August, I initiated a transfer request.  As I had stated before as soon as I requested, I contacted TransferWise to make sure they would do the transfer by their manual means, really did not care if it took 2 or 3 or 4 days longer.Well, here it is, I received notification from BBL that xx.xx bahts were deposited into my account from abroad.  Time, 14:03 on the 7th of August (1 day and 17 hours later.)   Less than 2 days.  What a relief!  Hope it'll be the same on the next transfers too.

That is the same amount of time as when I was doing transfers prior to the issue of transfers coming through as domestic transfers.

But be what it may,  not sure why one doesn't do a transfer request on the 1st of the month so it arrives  within a few days and then, if you want to do another, why not do it in the middle of the month like around the 15th?  So if the 2nd transfer take 7 days, it'll still get to your Thai bank by the 22nd!!

Seems like a simple strategy, do one on the 1st and a 2nd on the 15th!

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2019, 06:04:51 PM »
Just some bits & bobs:

One guy on ThaiVisa sez 

"Also i do not spend all 12 months a year in Thailand and having to send money when your not there is insane."

http://bit.ly/2YPBWXh

Never thought of that.  Could you imagine being only part of the year but still having to import funds?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
Another good tail that I forgot to mention.  The last time I requested a transfer of funds through TransferWise, I called the US number to make sure they would manually process the transfer through BBL.

I got a fast talker on the other end of the line with a distinct "non-English as my first language" accent.  I had to ask him repeatedly to "say again."  So I sent an email to the TransferWise's Help Line.

Guess what?  Whomever answered the email said, "since TransferWise is an international company with agents in many, many countries, the guy who responded to my phone call was a Hungarian in Hungry!!  Boy, just like Citibank!

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2019, 06:09:22 AM »
FYI, on Aug 10 my American neighbor tested out the previous method used to transfer funds from the USA to Thailand. He sent $500 from Bank of America to Bangkok Bank in New York via the old fashion ACH. Worked fine so he sent a couple of thousand dollars and it also worked fine. Go figure???

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2019, 08:24:24 AM »
Maybe BofA changed their transfer format to IAT.  It seems if the US Treasury is adamant about the illegal use of the US financial system, they would issue regulations to all banks requiring all transfers have to be done using the more complete IAT format vs the ancient ACH format only.

I was looking back at my completed transfers from my US bank through TransferWise to Bangkok Bank and all the transfers indicated "IAT" in my US bank statements so the US banks do have the ability to use that format for transfers without us having to use IFT through SWIFT and pay an arm and a leg in charges.

Even if I could use the direct transfer from my US bank to Bangkok Bank, I will not do it.  It is so much more expensive.  I had done an analysis and for a $2,000 US transfer,  TransferWise provided me at least 1,000 baht more in value.