Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York  (Read 7127 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2019, 07:09:42 PM »
I just received my last transfer yesterday.  It indicated in my BBL Savings Account as an international transfer.  It took a few days longer, like one week from time of my action on their website, but they did as I requested.

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2019, 06:32:07 AM »
What number did you call and what information did they ask for?  Did they seem to know what you were talking about when you called are did you have to give them a detailed explination of what you needed.  I ask as I have a speech impediment and long conversation sometimes don't go well.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »
I called the US 800 number shown on their help center page.

The guy sounded like he was Indian or Pakistani, so several times I had to ask him what was his question, but we got through the call.

He initially asked for the TRANSFER # and the amount.  When he could not find the transfer request, he asked for my member number.  He then found it.

I then told him that I was requesting that they manually route the transfer request through Bangkok Bank.

He said he could not promise me 100% that it would happen but he would send the message to the processing people.  Said they would have to intercept the transfer since the system was automatic.  Said it would add a few days to the transfer request, which it did.

But I did get the exchange rate that was in effect when I made the request, even though the transfer took longer than the period they had published at the time of the transfer.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
RE : TransferWise Update, Update
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »
1. The $750 that was "stuck" that I discussed earlier arrived today, 14 days after I initiated it.

2. Marked "International Transfer"

3. It is worth noting, that all of my TW transfers in the past were marked "international transfer" until one was marked "SMART" when lots of other people had the same experience.  So, until we get more reports, we won't really know whether the once incident of SMART was an outlier or if our requests to route the funds manually through BBL were the direct cause.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »
I just did another normal transfer and it again says via SMART.

Looks like I will need to start phoning them to route manually :-\

Sunset from my bedroom window

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
When I speak with them to request a manual transfer, they tell me my "tags" are set to go through BBL.  I am not sure if that means I can stop calling them, but I will continue to call.  The calls are becoming painless as the staff (at least the ones I have spoken with) seem to know what is going on and prepared to deal with the request quickly without sounding confused.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
Came across this on the web: https://transferwise.com/help/14/currencies/2932335/thb-transfers  The info towards the end introduces the Foreign Exchange Transaction (FET) form.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
Savannah20, this sure doesn't seem to clarify anything.  Up to now, if TransferWise used their partnership with BBL, the designation of "transfer from abroad" was entered into one's savings account.

Then we went through the issues with TransferWise now having several partners (banks) in Thailand, AND the transfers from these partners came through as a "domestic transfers".

So, someone found out about having to call TransferWise and request them to do a manual transfer directly through BBL instead of letting their automated system to handle the transfer.

Now TransferWise is offering another means of getting a transfer identified to be an "international transfer" by the "recipient" - us going to to our bank (including BBL) branch, getting an FET form, filling it out and submitting it so the bank can issue a letter defining the funds as being an "international transfer."  Oh yes, the issued letter costs the "recipient" 100 baht!  (BUT ONE HAS TO GO TO THE BRANCH WHERE HIS ACCOUNT WAS OPENED, AND LIKE MANY, MY ACCOUNT WAS OPENED IN BANGKOK.)

Yesterday, 5 August, I initiated a transfer request (I have been told by TransferWise that a tag has been put in my profile to use the BBL route for completing the transfer), but like Rex suggested, I contacted TransferWise to confirm that I was requesting a manual transfer utilizing BBL.  We will see what happens!

Once I am through this year's extension process, I will open a new account at one of the branches in Khon Kaen so those issues disappear.  It is a frustration that BBL plays the game of regional processes with their banking customers.  It has stymied me several times so far this year.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:53 PM »
Rec'd a deposit today to BBL via TW marked as "international transfer."

It is worth noting of the several TW transfers I have had made, only one last month was marked as SMART (domestic). Many of us had the same experience for that one transfer in July.  I don't suppose we will ever know if that SMART deposit was an outlier or would have repeated itself if many of us had not been in touch with TW about it and requested manual transfers to BBL.

Frank, the people at BBL Sri Chan have been lovely and helpful  to deal with as distinctly opposed to the trolls at my original Na Muang branch who every time I visited them seemed to be committed to being unhelpful and borderline hostile.

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »

It is worth noting of the several TW transfers I have had made, only one last month was marked as SMART (domestic). Many of us had the same experience for that one transfer in July.  I don't suppose we will ever know if that SMART deposit was an outlier or would have repeated itself if many of us had not been in touch with TW about it and requested manual transfers to BBL.

As I said on previous post, my last two monthly transfers (July and August) have said SMART instead of International Transfer and I did not phone on either, so it looks like this is the norm unless you phone and ask for a manual route.

Sunset from my bedroom window

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »
Not sure why, and don't care to ask.

When we started with TransferWise and having to request they do a manual transfer through BBL, their response has been, "it will take several days longer."

At 2100 hours, on the 5th of August, I initiated a transfer request.  As I had stated before as soon as I requested, I contacted TransferWse to make sure they would do the transfer by their manual means, really did not care if it took 2 or 3 or 4 days longer.

Well, here it is, I received notification from BBL that xx.xx bahts were deposited into my account from abroad.  Time, 14:03 on the 7th of August (1 day and 17 hours later.)   Less than 2 days.  What a relief!  Hope it'll be the same on the next transfers too.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
I am in the USA and contacted TW for advice on sending money to Thailand. He said they get asked about this often. After I gave him my TW membership number he said he would contact the relevant people and get back to me by email. Pretty much the same response others have reported on the forum. Here is the response:
Apologies for the late reply.[/size]I have now added the tab to your THB recipient details so that your payments are properly routed as international transfers.You payments to THB should be properly routed from now on. I also want to let you know that unfortunately this special tag does not perfectly work 100% of the time but it should mostly remove the issue.I hope that this information is helpful, and if we can help you with anything else at all, let us know.Kind regardsCarlos MartosTransferWise Support  [/size]support@transferwise.com[/size]

I just started a transfer but did not call to let them know I did. I will find out soon how the transaction is coded at Bangkok Bank.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »
Well, Savannah, they seem to have their act together so far.  I know they have to put out the disclaimer so that it cannot come back and bite them in the arse.

My plan for the last few months is to send two transfer requests a month, both being greater than 65,000 baht.  The first one is early in the month and I just follow its progress and when it arrives in my BBL bank account and is defined as an international transfer, I am good to go.  If it doesn't, then I work the second one with the phone call right after I initiate that 2nd transfer and make sure they are doing the manually initiated transfer besides following the initiated transfer using the "tag" in my profile.

I am pretty sure they do not use the US branch of BBL to do anything for them.  It is not in the business strategy, that is unless their bank account is at the New York  BBL branch.

If you can find the BBL - New York Branch website, it will tell you that Deposits are Restricted to Fixed Deposit Accounts or Corporate Current Account.  I don't think either oneof the options can be used as a normal savings account.  Those have to be initiated in Thailand.

Here is the statement "about us":
Our New York branch is a US federally chartered branch which operates as a wholesale bank. Our presence in the US dates from the opening in 1965 of a representative office, whose status was upgraded to that of agency in 1971, and to a federally chartered branch in 1984. We have been at our current location at 29 Broadway since October 1987, providing a wide range of banking services, including USD transactions, and offering full support to our customers pursuing growth and investment opportunities in the US.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
I little off topic but a friend of mine just extended his retirement visa. Not sure if there is more to the story but he told me that his 12 month bank statement showed one month to have two international deposits and the next month none. A timing issue based on one deposit arriving to fast, on the 30th of the month instead of the usual 2nd of the month. Immigration told him no extension, go to Lao and get a 90 day visa and come back and start over getting a new retirement visa. He says he talked to several people in the office but no luck. Eventually xx,xxx baht resolved the issue and no trip to Lao was needed. Like I said, could be more to the story which inspired immigration to make it harder on him than it had to be.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2019, 10:46:56 PM »
Savannah, was your friend's episode here in Khon Kaen or another Immigration Office?  It sounds like there is no common sense.

Would have been nice if all of that was captured on video and then to have it go viral with whatever Imm Office for where it happened!  Wonder if the I/O would have been transferred to a "Regional Office" with no responsibilities.