Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York  (Read 7137 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
Re: Change to Deposit Procedure to Bangkok Bank New York
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
When I first moved here in Sep 2016, I opened a special BBL account for my SSA direct deposit. I filled out several forms at the bank (branch at Central Plaza). The bank took all the forms and processed them. No involvement on my part with SSA (USA or Manila).  My next SSA check for October (a little over one month later) was deposited (in Thai Baht) to my BBL account. It was coded as FTT (Foreign Transfer). Ever since that time  (now 34 months), each month SSA deposits my check and BBL receives the funds coded the transaction FTT.
I cannot use an ATM with this account so every month or, at most two, I go in person to any branch, and transfer funds to my normal BBL account. The exchange rate is OK, not the best but certainly not the worst. The rate is the only way anyone (BBL) can collect a "fee".  No "fee" is ever posted.New York BBL is not involved and I have a record in passbook showing that all SSA transfers are "foreign" transfers.Now (as Terry stated) BBL is no longer the only bank that can receive direct deposit from SSA.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
Thanks, Terry.  Just to confirm or double-check. Does the deposit from SS need to go into a special account that you cannot access online or by ATM?  Of can it just go to your regular account? Ooops! I just re-read Avvocato's post and it answered my questino.

Tks, lah!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:07:45 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
More on Transfer Wise
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

I just spoke to TransferWise in OZ to confirm two things:

1. There are many TW support offices. As my I have an address in the U.S. and in Thailand, does it matter which I you call?  [No, you can transact business with any office]

2. Are you familiar with the procedure where we may initiate a transfer and then call you to request that it be manually routed to Bangkok Bank?   [Yes. She understood exactly what I was asking and confimred that can call her office to request manual routing]

Note that every time TW has provided this suggestion, it has been framed as we will do our best, but no guarantees. I will try tomorrow and let you know.

TW Customer Support Phone Numbers

Select a region United States
+1 888 908 3833

Mon - Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm EDT

peak to a team member nearest to you
Select a region Australia
+61 28 0466 244

Mon - Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm AEST

peak to a team member nearest to you
Select a region Singapore
+65 3158 3259

Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm GMT +08

Open Now

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:09:09 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:21 am

OK. I just initiated a TW between First Internet Bank in the U.S. Bangkok Bank.  I called a nice lady at TW OZ and requested it be manually routed through Bangkok Bank to post as an international transfer rather than SMART.  She sounded a little like a deer frozen in the headlights.  I don't know why, I not that scary! Anyway, she said she would do her best and that was done and dusted!

Maybe if everyone does this, TW will get tired of processing all the phone calls and will provide a better solution.

I'll let you know when I know more . . .

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
Rex, which location at TW did you contact?  There are so many including several in a country.  I think if we called the same location there will be a greater impact.

In the TW email to me, one of the woman's statements was as follows:

"We can't always guarantee which partner a payment is paid out through, but if you wish to route payments through one of these banks, please give us a call once you've set up a transfer and we will do our best to manually route the payment through them."

So what information did you have to provide?  I would imagine your TW Membership ID and the transfer order at least, and probably how much.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
Thanks Frank. I forgot to mention that all she asked for was my membership number and the amount of the transfer.  I already told her her that I had initiated the transfer only a few minutes before a called.  Once you login, your membership number is under your name/photo in the upper right corner.

Several (many?) of us here and on TV have received the same information as you on the phone and by e-mail about calling and requesting them to manually route the funds through BBL.

I called the OZ customer support number that I posted. The numbers I posted, I just copied and pasted from TW website "contact us" page.  There were a while bunch of countries in the dropdown.  I just nabbed the three I shared; U.S., OZ and Singapore.  I wanted to be sure the OZ number was OK to use because the 12 hour time difference between Thailand and the U.S. made timing the transfer and the phone call complicated.  I wanted to make the phone call immediately after I initiated the transfer. The people I spoke to sounded like bonafide Aussies.

I just checked on my transfer initiated this morning (It's 4:30 pm now). And here is the tracking:

Transfer to Rex Alexander
Arriving, 12 July 2019

750 USD
22,645.07 THB

Today
You set up your transfer

Today
We received your USD

Your money's taking longer to pay out

Sorry for the wait we need a bit more time to process your transfer. The rate for your transfer is 1 USD ? 30.5750 THB.

We pay out your THB

You receive your THB

I  have read on TV that others trying the manual transfer request have gotten the same "delay" message.  Fortunately, a few days one way or the other is not critical for me, but it might be an issues for some people.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
TRANSFER WISE - Small update
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
Wed 17 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm

I have recently made three transfers with TW, as follows

Sent                $$              Rec'd                         Status

Mon 15 Jul  :  850.00  :  Wed 17 July, 14:00  :  Intl Transfer
Mon 15 Jul  :  450.00
Thu 11 Jul   :  750.00

As you can see, I have only rec'd one of the three, but Eureka! It was marked as International.  In the TW tracking on their website, there was a note in the tracking saying that the processing would be delayed, presumably because I had called and asked for a manual routing through BBL. As it turned out, there was no delay for the $850.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:07:53 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Reuben

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2019, 07:18:39 PM »
Is the info. your provided from your Thai bank or from TWs web site?  The proof will be how your bank in Thailand records the transaction.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »
Rex, to which transfer was the receipt tied.  The way you have written it, looks like the first Jul 15 transfer arrived first even before your 11 Jul transfer receipt which has not happened as of yet.  See below you message in big print.

Wed 17 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm[/color][/color]I have recently made three transfers with TW, as follows[/color][/color]Sent                $$              Rec'd                         Status[/color][/color]Mon 15 Jul  :  850.00  :  Wed 17 July, 14:00  :  Intl Transfer[/color][/color]Mon 15 Jul  :  450.00[/color][/color]Thu 11 Jul   :  750.00[/size]

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2019, 07:48:41 PM »
I too initiated a TW "send money" request on the 16th.  I immediately called their help center line in the US to request a manual routing of my transfer using BBL.  The individual said he would contact their processing center to intercept my request since it usually is all automatic.  (Seems like that number is a toll free incoming even for international calls.)

I received an email from them today that they had received the funds from my US bank and they would process the transfer by sometime on the 18th.  (That almost seems too normal.)  So we shall see if it made it as an international transfer as I requested.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
Is the info. your provided from your Thai bank or from TWs web site?  The proof will be how your bank in Thailand records the transaction.

Sorry I did not state that clearly.  On my BBL online statement, it was marked "international transfer"  as opposed to my previous one marked as SMART.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »
Quote from: fceligoj
Rex, to which transfer was the receipt tied.  The way you have written it, looks like the first Jul 15 transfer arrived first even before your 11 Jul transfer receipt which has not happened as of yet.  See below you message in big print.

That is correct, Frank.  The one on 15 Jul for $850 arrived first.  The other two have not arrived yet. 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Ongoing TransferWise Saga
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »
I initiated three TW transfers recently. Two of them went though with short-but-not-problematic delays for being routed manually to BBL.  BTW, recorded as "international transfers."  One, however, for $750 on 11 Jul has not gone through. Just spoke to TW via the OZ number.  No waiting before they took my call.  Short, friendly, efficient call.  Bad news was she said they "apparently overlooked" my transfer, and would contact the appropriate people to fix it.  We'll see how long that takes.  This is inconvenient, but glad I do not need the money urgently or this would be a real pisser!

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
Rex, you have accounted for your $850 on the 15 Jul and that has gone through. Your $750 on the 11 Jul has been forgotten in the system somewhere but what has happened to your $450 on the 15 Jul? You have not mentioned where that one is.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: Transferwise Update
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »
Wed 24 Jul 2019, 12:34 pm

Russell, the $450 took four days, arrived 19 Jul.

Earlier this morning, I called TW again for follow-up on my call two days ago.  The rep said she would investigate and call me back.

I missed her call back not long after, but she followed an e-mail, apologized, said it was a "humanly mistake" and the money would be converted soon.  Gave me a free transfer to compensate for the delay.

Just checked the website and the transfer status was updated:  "Your money's being processed. We'll pay it out in the next 4 hours."